Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

how much do u need per annum

Wikiposts

how much do u need per annum

Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:11 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much do u need per annum

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Ouch. That's what was happening in Sydney & Brisbane in the final throws of their booms. It was interesting times

25 years ago Brisbane prices were only $2,000 more than Perth, but the gap widened to $44,000 by 2002.

But it seems Perth has now caught up and surpassed Brisbane !

What does the future hold ? Will Brisbane take off again, or will Perth drop ? or will Perth stay ahead ?
as you know it's the resource boom that's driving WA prices as well as all the Poms coming over

the last quarter saw a rise of 6.2% in WA, it's got to end somewhere or it will all end in tears mate...
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:35 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by walla1
the budgies are telling lies.

PMSL, I thought that was just me that thought that
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:46 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It does depend on the comparison area

But they aren't as cheap as they were
Rockingham Median Property prices Jan 2006
Houses $263,000
Units $177,000

http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/snapshot/
Sounds pretty 'kin cheap to me. $263k where we're moving to would get you a very crap house in only the nastiest of areas. :scared:
Old Feb 28th 2006, 1:07 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
PMSL, I thought that was just me that thought that
cheep cheep
Old Feb 28th 2006, 11:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Sounds pretty 'kin cheap to me. $263k where we're moving to would get you a very crap house in only the nastiest of areas. :scared:
That's exactly what you'd get in Rockingham, it's a dump.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:47 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked on www.realestate.com.au , and there is nothing left under $200k even in the units market !

Cheapest was $139k, but it's under contract. Oh, there is one at $199k - 2 beds, but tenanted at $120pw.

Not much on in my area for under $500K - if the average income is $51K how can property be so expensive?? Somethings not right its working out more expensive than property in london.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:53 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: how much do u need per annum

Originally Posted by thebears
Not much on in my area for under $500K - if the average income is $51K how can property be so expensive?? Somethings not right its working out more expensive than property in london.
Not much in your area for under $500k? That must be quite some area you're living in!

And more expensive than London? Hmmm.

$500k = £213,000.

What do you get for £213,000 in London these days?
Old Mar 1st 2006, 10:01 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Not much in your area for under $500k? That must be quite some area you're living in!

And more expensive than London? Hmmm.

$500k = £213,000.

What do you get for £213,000 in London these days?
Okay maybe not London but we currently live in the commuter belt of the south east and have sold our house for £450K to get the same size house in the area we need to live in will cost me $1.7 million. And trust me we are not slumming it here in UK. £450K @ 2.34 = 1.057 million.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 10:07 am
Keeping it fairly real

Okay maybe not London but we currently live in the commuter belt of the south east and have sold our house for £450K to get the same size house in the area we need to live in will cost me $1.7 million. And trust me we are not slumming it here in UK. £450K @ 2.34 = 1.057 million.
where you building, Buckingham Palace?
Old Mar 1st 2006, 10:09 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: how much do u need per annum

Sorry, I'm confused. Do you currently live in the UK, or Australia?

The house you're selling is in the UK, yes? And the area you "need" to live in is in Australia, yes? Or did I get that wrong?

What area is this, and why do you need to live there? Is it for work?

I'm struggling to think of any place in Australia which people actually need to live in, with properties costing $1.7 million.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 10:22 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Sorry, I'm confused. Do you currently live in the UK, or Australia?

The house you're selling is in the UK, yes? And the area you "need" to live in is in Australia, yes? Or did I get that wrong?

What area is this, and why do you need to live there? Is it for work?

I'm struggling to think of any place in Australia which people actually need to live in, with properties costing $1.7 million.
In UK until end of month
Toorak, Melbourne, Australia
Daughters school and to be close to my dying parents
Old Mar 1st 2006, 10:43 am
ABCDiamond

In UK until end of month
Toorak is not exactly your "average" suburb, with average incomes of about 3 times the national average

It was the 2nd highest income bracket suburb in Australia, with a median taxable income in 2000/2001, of $111,499, when the national average wage was $38,539. http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessiona...9#P4365_203712

Based on that, and the current national average of $53,175, I would expect the average "taxable" income in that area to be about $155,000 per year now.

"taxable income" = after their expensive accountants have trimmed the real income right down

Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:06 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Classic! Bit like someone planning to move the the UK and moaning about the house prices in Mayfair.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 6:35 pm
Fighting my corner

Wink Re: how much do u need per annum

Originally Posted by renth
Classic! Bit like someone planning to move the the UK and moaning about the house prices in Mayfair.
I had to sell my three houses in Mayfair. The council tax was getting ridiculous.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 6:53 pm
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: how much do u need per annum

In UK until end of month
Toorak! That's an exclusive, top dollar suburb - hardly indicative of average Australian prices! No wonder it's costing you a fortune! :scared:

Fair enough. But I don't see why your daughter needs to attend a school in Toorak, and I'm sure you could be located within a reasonable distance of your parents without resorting to a $1.7 million house in one of the most expensive areas of Victoria.

You are very fortunate to have the means to live near your parents during their final years. My grandfather died in Australia last year, and I couldn't afford to fly over and see him before the end- or even to attend his funeral. I couldn't phone him up, because he had lost the power of speech by the time the doctors realised he was going to die. All I could do was send him an email, which my younger brother read to him on my behalf.

I hadn't seen him for nearly two years. It was a bitter blow.

BTW, you may be interested to know that the average price of a bog-standard 3-bedroom bungalow on a tiny block in Walsall, is currently sitting around $200,000 (and frequently higher.)

That's $469,639 for a very ordinary house (smaller than the average Aussie equivalent) in a very ordinary area, with chavs and boy racers for neighbours, and council housing estates just five minutes away. Charming, eh?

Yes, property prices in Australia have gone through the roof over the past 10 years - just as they have in the UK.

But at the end of the day, when it comes down to the question of value for money, Australia wins hands down.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 1st 2006 at 6:59 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.