Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How many times have you been in love?

Wikiposts

How many times have you been in love?

Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How many times have you been in love?

Originally Posted by kporte
You suggest I am idealistic because I wish to find a life bond. Not idealistic, I just know what I want and what suits my personality. As for my parents, if you saw them together you would disregard the brainwashing bit.
The simple fact is you are trying to lump humans into neat pigeon holes but we are far more complex than that. You are broadly correct but not completely
I'm not suggesting that you are idealistic because you want to find a life bond. I'm suggesting you want to find a life bond because that is the way you have been programmed by your parents and society since the day you were born, which is in effect social engineering. It's quite an interesting subject to research. The socially engineered version of relationships vs the natural version of relationships are two completely different things; they are not compatible. And people wonder why they break up, fall out of "love" with someone or end up having affairs...

On the other hand, I take a scientific view towards it rather than a romaticised version. I enter into relationships with the view that it is good while it lasts and enjoy it while I can but I don't have any expectations that it will last because on the balance of probabilities it won't. We are just not wired that way.

As for your parents, they have entered a stage of co-dependency. They couldn't live without each other if they tried; they are addicted to one another. But that's not "love".

Last edited by Deancm; Mar 31st 2010 at 12:17 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm
I'm not suggesting that you are idealistic because you want to find a life bond. I'm suggesting you want to find a life bond because that is the way you have been programmed by your parents and society since the day you were born, which is in effect social engineering. It's quite an interesting subject to research. The socially engineered version of relationships vs the natural version of relationships are two completely different things; they are not compatible. And people wonder why they break up, fall out of "love" with someone or end up having affairs...

On the other hand, I take a scientific view towards it rather than a romaticised version. I enter into relationships with the view that it is good while it lasts and enjoy it while I can but I don't have any expectations that it will last because on the balance of probabilities it won't. We are just not wired that way.

As for your parents, they have entered a stage of co-dependency. They couldn't live without each other if they tried; they are addicted to one another. But that's not "love".
You may well be correct Dean but I still prefer my outlook! It's more human
Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:17 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

What about people who chose to live together because they want to, or don't want to live alone, or whatever reasons - and not because society tells them to!
Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

It's more human
Ah now that's another subjective topic...
Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
What about people who chose to live together because they want to, or don't want to live alone, or whatever reasons - and not because society tells them to!
I would call that neediness or fear of being alone.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

I would call that neediness or fear of being alone.
You will be a fantastic catch for a female Terminator!!
Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:43 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are different ways of falling in love too.

There's the friendship that grows into love, and there's the unexpected 'hit by a train' feeling when you fall head over heels in love with someone. I've experienced both. Very different but both love (for me).
Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

You will be a fantastic catch for a female Terminator!!
She'd have to catch me first...
Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: How many times have you been in love?

That happens in every relationship to everyone. That's the way humans are designed. It's only a matter of time.

Human are not meant to be with one person monogamously for their entire life. Human's don't pair bond for life.
I pretty much agree with that!I recall when I divorced my first OH,both my sisters were horrified,not because they loved the guy,just the fact that yep once you were married,that was it.Years later both those sisters are married to jerks and are unhappy.You only live once.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I think you know you love someone when they have a serious illness like my oh recently, think you are going to lose them and then realise how horrible life would be without them.

Me I had quite a few relationships before we married loved them all, and been married for over 35 years now and I put that down to the fact that I had those prior relationships, love or whatever, enjoyed it anyway.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Nah too many people out there kporte for there to be only one person!!!Put it this way,if my OH kicked the bucket tomorrow,I would'nt be spending the rest of my life alone!No way!
R.S.V.P here we come!!!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 11:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Petals
I think you know you love someone when they have a serious illness like my oh recently, think you are going to lose them and then realise how horrible life would be without them.

Me I had quite a few relationships before we married loved them all, and been married for over 35 years now and I put that down to the fact that I had those prior relationships, love or whatever, enjoyed it anyway.
Yes, a crisis finds you out sometimes........ sometimes the other way.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hebe
R.S.V.P here we come!!!!!
I don't think he's kicked the bucket yet.... LIR will have to be patient!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think he's kicked the bucket yet.... LIR will have to be patient!
Not one of my strongest points!Seriously my Dad died 16 years ago,and my Mum has been lonely ever since.She's had offers(and us kids have told her to "go for it")but nope,out of loyalty she stays alone.Life is too short to spend it alone.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Not one of my strongest points!Seriously my Dad died 16 years ago,and my Mum has been lonely ever since.She's had offers(and us kids have told her to "go for it")but nope,out of loyalty she stays alone.Life is too short to spend it alone.
I find that sort of love quite huge... I suppose that no one maybe matches up? When I split from my marriage I made a decision that I would rather be on my own than spend it with someone who was 2nd best to my needs/wants.

The thought of living life on my own doesn't bother me in the slightest. The thought of being with someone and not feeling totally and utterly in love with them, and that same feeling not being reciprocated fills me with dread. I would rather be with nobody.

Em x

EDIT: I have plenty of friends so companionship wouldnt be an issue.. I am lucky that I make friends pretty easily.. plus I am not bothered about going to functions on my own either, or joining clubs etc etc..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.