Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How many grow there own fruit/veg/salad stuff/herbs & what's grown best?

How many grow there own fruit/veg/salad stuff/herbs & what's grown best?

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:43 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many grow there own fruit/veg/salad stuff/herbs & what's grown best?

we've got a Washington Navel orange tree, and a lemon tree, i also grow my own herbs cause it was getting to epxensive buying fresh herbs all the time, ive got Parsley, Coriander,Basil and Rosemary, which are doing really well

the kids have thier own Strawberry and Tomato plants which they love watering and looking after
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many grow there own fruit/veg/salad stuff/herbs & what's grown best?

At the moment we just have lime and lemon trees and a few chillis - I'd like to buy a couple of half wine barrels and grow a few veggies in though, and some herbs.

I caught the end of the ABC gardening programme on Saturday (cant stand that northern bloke so dont tend to watch it) and it showed a Greek guy who had this huge veggie garden - he said that actually it took less water to keep his garden going that it would if he gave it all up and started eating fruit & veg from shops... food for thought
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Rarn will become famous soon enoughRarn will become famous soon enough

Ahhh I LOVE Peter Cundall the northern man....

if you mulch loads with hay, put cardboard down to rot - it helps keep the moisture - permaculture methods mean little or no watering - gotta be good in the climate!

And we all need a rain tank

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:45 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

We grow basil, mint, rosemary, sage, chives, oregano and thyme (but the thyme is really struggling to get started)

We have a little lemon tree in a pot called Lotsa Lemons that produced at least 5 lemons this first year.

We also grow beans, courgettes, rocket and tomatoes (although the crop in North Queensland boiled on the vine!)

We only use tap water in the watering can on the proper water restriction days and use grey water at other times. The water collected from the shower as it heats up before you get in is also good for veges! We mulch to keep moisture in and water them straight to their roots in the evening to prevent too much evaporation.

We also have our own chickens so we get our own eggs too.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

We grow basil, mint, rosemary, sage, chives, oregano and thyme (but the thyme is really struggling to get started)

We have a little lemon tree in a pot called Lotsa Lemons that produced at least 5 lemons this first year.

We also grow beans, courgettes, rocket and tomatoes (although the crop in North Queensland boiled on the vine!)

We only use tap water in the watering can on the proper water restriction days and use grey water at other times. The water collected from the shower as it heats up before you get in is also good for veges! We mulch to keep moisture in and water them straight to their roots in the evening to prevent too much evaporation.

Originally Posted by alicecat
We also have our own chickens so we get our own eggs too.
lovely and you can use chicken poo on the garden, I'm told the veges love it.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:26 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rarn
Yep, and mix some sand it to help retain a bit of moisture too...

happy potting
It is recommended that if you are standing your pots in bottoms that will collect water, that you fill bottoms of these with sand as well to prevent mozzies collecting in the water but still allows the water to remain for plants to suck up.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:48 pm

Just found this bit about potatoes

http://www.humeseeds.com/potato.htm
You also can plant potatoes under black plastic. Cut open a piece of the black plastic, and plant a potato piece. The potato tubers will develop as they would in the open ground. However, the tubers that develop close to the surface of the soil are shaded by the black plastic and should not develop the green inedible portions that often are found on other tubers. The black plastic also will aid in controlling weeds.

There's also an interesting bit about growing in tires in there as well.

http://www.suttons.co.uk/GrowingGuides.htm Sutton seeds also have a comprehensive growing guide including veg at the end but would need to be considered with Aussie heat in mind as is written for UK.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:54 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Yeah! I usually (unintentionally) kill all plants (moved here 2 1/2 months ago and death toll stands at 6. About the same amount still living

but I've managed to grow tomatoes! At least I hope they are!! I bought a wee but of green plants at Coles and as I've got no yard, only a balcony, I dropped them in a massive bucket (that the lady at Mitre 10 told me I needed) and they've gone crazy! Two little potential tomatoes getting bigger every day!

I even went away for a week and didn't water them and they're still alive!

I found lots of basic info on the internet - especially on the ABC Gardening show page.

I love the concept of growing things, I'm just terrible in practice. It's been great for my daughter though (18mths), she is just old enough to stand there with the hose on the plants while I nip away and do other stuff, hahaha!

Mushrooms are a great idea. Never occurred to me.

And I'm living in the desert, so especially stoked to have managed at least 2 tiny fruits of my labour!!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by matildaskye
Yeah! I usually (unintentionally) kill all plants (moved here 2 1/2 months ago and death toll stands at 6. About the same amount still living

but I've managed to grow tomatoes! At least I hope they are!! I bought a wee but of green plants at Coles and as I've got no yard, only a balcony, I dropped them in a massive bucket (that the lady at Mitre 10 told me I needed) and they've gone crazy! Two little potential tomatoes getting bigger every day!

I even went away for a week and didn't water them and they're still alive!

I found lots of basic info on the internet - especially on the ABC Gardening show page.

I love the concept of growing things, I'm just terrible in practice. It's been great for my daughter though (18mths), she is just old enough to stand there with the hose on the plants while I nip away and do other stuff, hahaha!

Mushrooms are a great idea. Never occurred to me.

And I'm living in the desert, so especially stoked to have managed at least 2 tiny fruits of my labour!!
So short of an I'V bag what have people come up with to water there plants?
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:04 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Soapy (not detergent) water such as bath or shower water will not harm plants and are, in fact, used to control a number of pests.

G
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:11 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Well it pored down here this afternoon - no plant watering worries for me tonight
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling
Soapy (not detergent) water such as bath or shower water will not harm plants and are, in fact, used to control a number of pests.

G
Has there not been talk in the past of the bugs been taken up by the plants and found in the fruit???
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:41 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
With the drought and rumours of higher prices to come was wondering how many people grow their own and what's grown best in the heat.

We had a lot of grapefruits last year but too early to say as yet this year. Trying to grow oranges but don't think it's going to be a big sucsess. Mangoes the bats or possums got so none to try. Have some passion fruit in progress if they survive

Thinking of trying lettuce and tomatoes as Cresta57 managed to grow tomatoes without trying from seeds he threw over side of house. Strangely enough considering Australians are obsessed with Beetroot never seen any growing anywhere just fields of pineapples.

What else is quick & easy to grow that you would want to eat?
weve grown heaps of things in the past but now just grow the things we eat a lot of. toms, various lettuce, spinach, egg plant, cucumber. also got lemons, limes , oranges, paw paw,pineapples, passion fruit x2 varieties and sugar bananas. used to grow heaps of herbs but found we didnt use them all so now just got oregano, basil, mint and coriander. got ginger and various chillies to.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 6:54 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Has there not been talk in the past of the bugs been taken up by the plants and found in the fruit???
Soapy water has been used for years to control blackfly.

Can't see that it is any worse for bugs than manure is.

G
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling
Soapy water has been used for years to control blackfly.

Can't see that it is any worse for bugs than manure is.

G
Human crap must be stronger than horse crap but def read things at one point saying that was a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.