Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How many grow there own fruit/veg/salad stuff/herbs & what's grown best?

How many grow there own fruit/veg/salad stuff/herbs & what's grown best?

Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:29 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many grow there own fruit/veg/salad stuff/herbs & what's grown best?

Originally Posted by blowfly
I place them around the edges not next to the veges. You don't need heaps of. Depnding on the size of the garden. I put one at each corner, if it's bigger I put an exta moth ball in the middle. My cats don't touch the veg patch at all.

Are they your cats or neighbours cats?
Neighbours cat - I will try the moth balls, hopefully the dog won't eat them !
Old Apr 28th 2007, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How many grow there own fruit/veg/salad stuff/herbs & what's grown best?

Originally Posted by sme
Neighbours cat - I will try the moth balls, hopefully the dog won't eat them !
I didn't realise you had the dog but they don't like them either generally!My own cats weren't a huge problem but like yourself my neighbour had cats(5) and used my garden and under my washing line as a toilet.She moved recently The moth balls did work with them.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 12:20 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dottyspots
Getting a dog has appeared to stop other cats coming in our garden, but only when he's out there. We have our own cats as well and I've never had a problem with them going in our own veg patch and they won't go into the neighbours as their dog is always out, but can't speak for the otherside...

A water pistol is a good deterrent - but you'd have to be there to squirt them (unless it's a cat that likes that sort of thing, one of my mum's thought it was a game )

Chilli powder might work, but one of mine (the daft one) ate a chlili He must have gobbled it as surely it wouldn't have gone into his stomach had he actually tasted it (it's the same cat that tries to eat brillo pads - we do feed him, honest!) He very swiftly started howling and sicked up half a chilli - stupid animal - you'd think you could leave stuff like that on the side and they wouldn't eat it, but I reckon he was trampled in the rush for feline brain cells...
Had been considering chilli powder or pepper to stop my dog cocking his leg where he shouldn't.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 4:16 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
We have a dog but that doesn't seem to work

no it wouldn't work , Ella would lick the cats and give a big cuddle
Old Apr 29th 2007, 8:31 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kezzabird
I put down Chilli powder, that seems to work until it rains.
Will last a long time then... .