British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   How many cars per household in your area/Family. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/how-many-cars-per-household-your-area-family-800795/)

ozzieeagle Jun 21st 2013 3:53 am

How many cars per household in your area/Family.

Inspired by a poster who I quite enjoy reading in PCook.

Couple of people at work... Sisters in their mid 50's actually and very cashed up, moved out to the outer burbs here in the Northern Suburbs... Very big houses in South Morang with bushland settings. I know two reasons why they moved... One was to get exactly what they wanted in a bushland setting and prepare for retirement with as many family members under one roof as possible. The other slightly more insidious, I dont think they liked the cultural change in their area, being very very anglo Aussies and not at all interested in anything "Foreign" (They are actually too nice to admit that out loud, but after working with them each for 10 years plus, I reckon I'm right) Thats all besides the by.... 50 square houses x 2 in close proxmity, with each build costing at least 500k plus land. Big big flash well done places

Anyway their whole nuclear familes have moved in with them, so there are 6 working adults in one household and 7 working adults in the other. It's now taking them 40 mins to drive 15 ks home from work each day.... It can take over an hour in peak time.

I asked them yesterday how many cars in your familes.... 5 in one and 6 in the other. Even I was surprised about that one... Dont know why but I was...., reality I spose. I wonder how many times this is repeated around the country.

Somethings gotta give eh :blink:

So how many cars do you/your neighbours have ?

Dorothy Jun 21st 2013 4:11 am

Re: How many cars per household in your area/Family.

There are 3 of us living at my house and we have 2 cars, a truck and a motorcycle. There are only 2 licensed drivers, btw. :)

Geordie George Jun 21st 2013 4:14 am

We have one car. I use it, Mr GG gets the train to work. The neighbours at one side have one car (only one of them drives). The neighbours at the other side have at least 6 cars, for three adults (older couple and their adult son). To be fair, two of those are the son's work utes. Not sure why he has so many cars, though, as he only ever seems to drive one at once. :sneaky:

BadgeIsBack Jun 21st 2013 4:16 am

There would be at least 2 cars, one for each spouse.
Plus one minimum for a learner driver (if siblings share of course). And P platers might have one each...so maybe 4 cars per family. Of course, even city dwellers might need more than 1...

We have 2 x18 year old cars. One is in mint condition, a real beauty, (they don't make them like that anymore) one not so.

A bloke might have a car to do up.
I have a 3rd car right now, which I like too much to sell. So I am waiting until it gets to 25 years old and then I will put it on a classic plate.

We only have a single car garage and so others have to go outside. There is space but with visitors the space soon fills up, and in case I have a 000 firecall I have to move my car to the outside. Lucky we have nature strip which only we need to use.

Last weekend I got rid of an old stump which was preventing about 3 cars from parking on one side of our gate - 'how long have we been here'? I ask myself. This area will form a bay for the kids in time, methinks.

One of the things I don't miss from the UK is that issue where it is often not unusual to have to find a park streets away from where you live and the entire street is end-to-end car.

GarryP Jun 21st 2013 4:42 am

Australia is a car culture, kind of taking after the US more and more. People will have a car a piece until they can't afford it anymore. In fact probably past that point...

TSHTF probably by 2020

Amazulu Jun 21st 2013 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 10767647)
There are 3 of us living at my house and we have 2 cars, a truck and a motorcycle. There are only 2 licensed drivers, btw. :)

Respect

Cars are cool, you can't have too many of them

carolinephillips Jun 21st 2013 5:54 am

2 cars - both not used very much- OH does less than 5k per year, I do about 10k. DD is learning to drive, but is NOT getting a car for her 18th birthday in 6 months. She can use mine or OH's if she ever passes her test.

Pollyana Jun 21st 2013 6:10 am

Seven units, at least 4 units have more than one resident adult, grand total of 5 vehicles.
I just have a broom ;)

old.sparkles Jun 21st 2013 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10767750)
Seven units, at least 4 units have more than one resident adult, grand total of 5 vehicles.
I just have a broom ;)

Only one at my house - houses around seem to have 2, but more people living there too. One house has about 6 :confused:

jad n rich Jun 21st 2013 6:29 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 10767633)
Inspired by a poster who I quite enjoy reading in PCook.

Couple of people at work... Sisters in their mid 50's actually and very cashed up, moved out to the outer burbs here in the Northern Suburbs... Very big houses in South Morang with bushland settings. I know two reasons why they moved... One was to get exactly what they wanted in a bushland setting and prepare for retirement with as many family members under one roof as possible. The other slightly more insidious, I dont think they liked the cultural change in their area, being very very anglo Aussies and not at all interested in anything "Foreign" (They are actually too nice to admit that out loud, but after working with them each for 10 years plus, I reckon I'm right) Thats all besides the by.... 50 square houses x 2 in close proxmity, with each build costing at least 500k plus land. Big big flash well done places

Anyway their whole nuclear familes have moved in with them, so there are 6 working adults in one household and 7 working adults in the other. It's now taking them 40 mins to drive 15 ks home from work each day.... It can take over an hour in peak time.

I asked them yesterday how many cars in your familes.... 5 in one and 6 in the other. Even I was surprised about that one... Dont know why but I was...., reality I spose. I wonder how many times this is repeated around the country.

Somethings gotta give eh :blink:

So how many cars do you/your neighbours have ?

Sounds awful, 7/8 adults from same family under same roof, ohhhh no privacy:thumbdown:

Cars, we have 2 cars, one truck and 1 motorbike. But to be fair the bus service here finishes at 6.30pm:rofl: well it might be 7pm but its bloody early. Plus 2 pushbikes and a skateboard for those more 'green' moments, son is known to skateboard home at 3am occasionally:lol:

scottishcelts Jun 21st 2013 8:08 am

2 in ours, one for each adult. My kids are too young to drive.

Appears to be the running theme 'round our way'.

Gibbo Jun 21st 2013 9:42 am

When everyone lived at home we had 6 cars, 2 motorbikes and an assortment of bikes and skateboards.

ozzieeagle Jun 21st 2013 9:55 am

Yehp we've got two as well, although we generally only use 1.... Trying very hard to get down to 1 car but the wife wont get the tram, as the tram is very crowded by the time it gets to Royal Park.

rasen78 Jun 21st 2013 10:22 am

2 cars and one motorbike.

I use the Beast (Holden Commodore Wagon) and she has been a great workhorse, moving furniture, camping - all sorts.

ROMFT tends to drive the Chavski (white Hyundai Elantra - old style) when he's not on his motorbike.

Neighbours have I think 4 adults. There are usually at least 5 cars out front (one of which must be a scrap car as it hasn't moved in a loooong time)

Hebe Jun 21st 2013 10:39 am

2 people 2 cars. Neighbours the same