Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to rent a room?

Wikiposts

How long does it take to rent a room?

Old Aug 23rd 2009, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

kurumi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long does it take to rent a room?

I am going to rent a unit/apartment in Adelaide.
Could you please let me know how long it usually takes to rent a unit/aparment in Australia?(From the time asking the owner for inspection untill moving into the room)
The reason I ask about this is because I need to know how many nights to book for a hostel while waiting for moving into the room.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 1:10 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long does it take to rent a room?

Originally Posted by kurumi
I am going to rent a unit/apartment in Adelaide.
Could you please let me know how long it usually takes to rent a unit/aparment in Australia?(From the time asking the owner for inspection untill moving into the room)
The reason I ask about this is because I need to know how many nights to book for a hostel while waiting for moving into the room.
Once you find a rental, you fill in your application. You need to supply references etc to prove you are working or can pay, bank statements, etc.
It can usually take about a week to get approval, but some may be quicker and some longer.
It depends on how much info you provide for them. If the agent has nothing to do to gather your info then it will be fast.
I would give yourself a week anyway.

If it's a private rental, through an advertisment in the paper, then it won't be as long.

Hope that helps.
Good luck.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

It took me about a week to find somewhere then I moved in the following day. That's in Melbourne. Actually finding somewhere was the hard part as I was going to agencies and finding another 30 people interested in a property.

I was lucky with my flat as the tenant-to-be changed their mind at the last minute and didn't turn up. I put the bond down right away to secure it then moved in the next day.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 3:02 am
Just Joined

kurumi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for the useful replies.
I will book a week and continuously another one if I can't move into the room during the first week.
Cheers,
Old Aug 24th 2009, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

As long as you aren't coming in peak holiday season (the southern summer) you could probably just book your hostel bed on a nightly basis.

I suppose you'll find out how busy the hostel is when you get here. The only time that I've found it difficult to find somewhere has been over new year.

I rented a room in a hostel when I first got here for a week. After that week I hadn't found anywhere so just booked another 2 nights.

I then found the flat the next day.