Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

how long do you leave it before it gets the better of you......

how long do you leave it before it gets the better of you......

Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:02 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default how long do you leave it before it gets the better of you......

and you throw the towel in?

............we have been here 6 months now, and i have applied for many many jobs, most of them well below my capabilities, including cleaning and working in supermarkets. still nothing. i have had in total 4 interviews in that time span. most companies dont even bother with a courtesy letter/e-mail telling me that i am not good enough

i now feel, is it worth it? should we not just quit whilst we are ahead, and go back to the UK. our financial situation is not dire, we do have some savings, but this is being delved into every week, as my O/H wage is not enough to live off. we didnt come over here for the minimum of the 2 years, just to obtain citizenship, to keep our options open. we came over here for good, with the intention of a better life for us and our children. this is not happening at the moment, as we are at each throats most of the time. i am so stressed out over the job lark, that most days i am not a nice person to be around, and this has an obvious effect on my relationship and on my kids. i just feel so low about it all, my self esteem and self worth is at rock bottom. i applied for a job yesterday, and my thoughts were it has probably already got somebody's name on it, so why should i bother applying. but the very small 5% of my thought process was............what if it is an open post, and i did make the grade, if i didnt apply, i would never know!

i didnt expect a job to fall into my lap, i knew that i would have to put myself out there, but i was not prepared for this long slog. if i am feeling this crap about it, should we not just bog off back to blighty and try and pick up our old lives again?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:06 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long do you leave it before it gets the better of you......

Hope things work out for you soon babe.
If you could get a job would you want to stay?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there, sorry to hear that you are feeling so low! I am in a similar situation to you in that we have been in TX for eight months now. We came here with my OH's job and hoping for a better life for us and our 1.5 kids.

So far things have been pretty good. I just got back from my first trip back to the UK and am in a downer and at a bit of a loss as to where I think home is! I think what I'm trying to say is give in some more time, I know it's frustrating but it's a once in a life time opportunity and I hope that you don't give up too early.

You're not alone and there will be something out there for you. Just try and stay positive! Good luck!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty

............we have been here 6 months now, and i have applied for many many jobs, most of them well below my capabilities, including cleaning and working in supermarkets. still nothing. i have had in total 4 interviews in that time span. most companies dont even bother with a courtesy letter/e-mail telling me that i am not good enough

i now feel, is it worth it? should we not just quit whilst we are ahead, and go back to the UK. our financial situation is not dire, we do have some savings, but this is being delved into every week, as my O/H wage is not enough to live off. we didnt come over here for the minimum of the 2 years, just to obtain citizenship, to keep our options open. we came over here for good, with the intention of a better life for us and our children. this is not happening at the moment, as we are at each throats most of the time. i am so stressed out over the job lark, that most days i am not a nice person to be around, and this has an obvious effect on my relationship and on my kids. i just feel so low about it all, my self esteem and self worth is at rock bottom. i applied for a job yesterday, and my thoughts were it has probably already got somebody's name on it, so why should i bother applying. but the very small 5% of my thought process was............what if it is an open post, and i did make the grade, if i didnt apply, i would never know!

i didnt expect a job to fall into my lap, i knew that i would have to put myself out there, but i was not prepared for this long slog. if i am feeling this crap about it, should we not just bog off back to blighty and try and pick up our old lives again?
Firstly - please don't take this post the wrong way

You must already know that the UK is the same re courtesy - there are few including professional organisations that bother to let unsuccesful candidates know the outcome of their interviews. This has nothing to do with you and your self worth - it's incompetence and lack of compassion in HR - nothing more.

Secondly, i'm an employer in the UK. and this is the bit I dont want you to take the wrong way - please.

Have you reassessed your interview techniques ? Are you too friendly ? Are you too forward ? Are you too desperate ? Is the job beneath you and do you show too much knowledge ? For instance - I wouldn't employ a cleaner who has aspirations of PA to Tony Blair ? ( as he/she wont stay long and be part of the team ) Do you alter your CV to suit the job ? Do you show disinterest as the job you could do with your eyes closed ?

Only you know how you think you do at interview stage - get some friends to interview you perhaps ?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:20 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your feeling this way, try and keep your chin up and hopefully something will come your way real soon. C x
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk

Have you reassessed your interview techniques ? Are you too friendly ? Are you too forward ? Are you too desperate ? Is the job beneath you and do you show too much knowledge ? For instance - I wouldn't employ a cleaner who has aspirations of PA to Tony Blair ? ( as he/she wont stay long and be part of the team ) Do you alter your CV to suit the job ? Do you show disinterest as the job you could do with your eyes closed ?

<copied to other post by Sleeping beauty>

I think some of the more routine admin work is hard to find as often migrants have skills or more accurately, energies that frankly put off local employers.

I think a shedload of tact and the way you carry yourself is the most important thing in a slower, local market. Not necessarily the CV. Therefore it is crucial to make personal contact - hard as it may be. I have a general CV which plays down most of my 'office' or work experience. It makes me look like a practical navvy and hard bastard rather than an ex blue-chip consultant.

</copied to other post by Sleeping beauty>

You might have found your UK jobs by a series of referrals or networking. It might have been just as hard to find one in the UK.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Feb 15th 2007 at 10:46 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
<copied to other post by Sleeping beauty>

I think some of the more routine admin work is hard to find as often migrants have skills or more accurately, energies that frankly put off local employers.

I think a shedload of tact and the way you carry yourself is the most important thing in a slower, local market. Not necessarily the CV. Therefore it is crucial to make personal contact - hard as it may be. I have a general CV which plays down most of my work experience. It makes me look like a practical navvy and hard bastard rather than an ex blue-chip consultant.

</copied to other post by Sleeping beauty>
perhaps the reason why a CV needs tailoring to suit the job ?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps the reason why a CV needs tailoring to suit the job ?
Yup. But in my case, I haven't tailored it to a job, I've tailored it to a way of life, working culture, the very essence of what is expected from a bloke. Jumping out of aeroplanes, drilling, firefighting, leadership and pissing in a pot in a field is very different to a meeting,or managing metrics in an office.

I show people my other CV and they are 'amused' at all the practical things I have done, when it comes to work, they only really know the 'office' me. People have told me they would interview me just to see what I looked like. lol.

But I think tact and savvy is a biggie.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you find something soon. We have been here nearly 10 months and in that time ive had a couple of jobs that i have left as the hours were appalling,i was working 4 nights a week and every weekend. I packed it in the week before xmas as i never saw my son one day to the next.

Since then i have applied for loads but dont seem to be getting anywhere. Most of them dont even acknowledge your resume and i have only had 1 interview. I never got the job.

I just keep thinking that things will get better and I will get a job because I have to.

Positive thinking WE WILL GET JOBS!!!!!!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I can see where you're coming from yes. To be fair the thought of getting a regualr job would horrify me, having worked for myself for the last 18 years.
I did once have a professional cv drawn up - it was dead scary and sure to put people off below MD level
I am hoping to set up my own business in Perth but my OH has told me I have to have a couple of months off work - He must be nuts!

Seriously though - SB - good luck - please don't feel so down, there has to be something there for you so keep at it , try and take an objective view from an employers point of view and talk to others, you are not worthless - you are you - you have something to offer - just need the right person to see it
Old Feb 15th 2007, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

From what i've seen a lot of it is down to WHO you know - do you know many aussies? if not i'd start by finding ways to meet some (join clubs etc) and get to know them a bit, then bring it up a few times in conversation that you're looking for work (no doubt they'll ask what you do anyway so ideal time to mention it)

The other thing is start up conversations wherever you go, supermarket, pharmacy, whatever and make sure they know you're looking

The more people you mention it to the more likely you are to find something

in the meantime have you thought about joining an agency and doing temp work? a friend of mine did this a while back and said she ended up with a permanent position

good luck
Old Feb 15th 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with whatever may come.

Only you have the answers and I hope you find them soon!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 5:55 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Hope things work out for you soon babe.
If you could get a job would you want to stay?
i think me working would make all the difference. this isnt a slag off australia post by any means. its just the work situation, which has a knock on effect with my personal life. i dont what else i can do, thats all? so if i cant do anything else, should we just quit (not that i am usually a quitter). i just feel as though all the fight in me has been squeezed out.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 5:57 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
Hey there, sorry to hear that you are feeling so low! I am in a similar situation to you in that we have been in TX for eight months now. We came here with my OH's job and hoping for a better life for us and our 1.5 kids.

So far things have been pretty good. I just got back from my first trip back to the UK and am in a downer and at a bit of a loss as to where I think home is! I think what I'm trying to say is give in some more time, I know it's frustrating but it's a once in a life time opportunity and I hope that you don't give up too early.

You're not alone and there will be something out there for you. Just try and stay positive! Good luck!
thanks, hope it works out for you too. i really dont want to go back, but feel as though i am banging my head against a brick wall most days - what is the point, i ask myself
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:06 am
Never going back

Firstly - please don't take this post the wrong way

You must already know that the UK is the same re courtesy - there are few including professional organisations that bother to let unsuccesful candidates know the outcome of their interviews. This has nothing to do with you and your self worth - it's incompetence and lack of compassion in HR - nothing more.

Secondly, i'm an employer in the UK. and this is the bit I dont want you to take the wrong way - please.

Only you know how you think you do at interview stage - get some friends to interview you perhaps ?
mmmmmm, i have considered this. i would say that 95% of the jobs i have gone for a below my capabilities, but it is a case of hobsons choice on that one. the area we live is semi-rural, and the choices in my field are pretty slim. i was a special needs teaching assistant for a couple of years, previous to that i worked for tour operators in the uk for 17 years. so, you would think i would be able to get a job in travel, right? nope......not even reservations, which is the basic job in a tour operator.

i have just had a second interview for a company, which was sitting with the girl that was leaving for an hour or so, to see how is did. another candidate (an internal applicant) got the position as (now this info is 2nd hand, so.....), they were the better candidate on the phone. i was too english, and she was more open and friendly, like an aussie (thats because she was). in other words, i was being professional on the phone, but they wanted a more laid back approach. huh? so, in that case, i am never going to get a job which involves phone answering, because thats how i asnwer the phone. i have done lots of telephone technique course, but in the uk of course, and would find it hard to alter how i answer the phone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.