Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How long did it take you to rent your UK house out ?

How long did it take you to rent your UK house out ?

Old Jun 15th 2008, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How long did it take you to rent your UK house out ?

Hi
I would market for rent about 1 month before you plan to leave to be on the safe side, especially if you have a more expensive 'executive' let property.

We rented ours out within a week of advertising, but it is in a great location and in the catchment for a sought after school (so people rent for 12 months to get the kids into the school, then buy nearby in a cheaper area).

Our first tenants rented for 18 months, moved out on the Friday, new tenants moved in on the following Tuesday....they are still renting it now.

The problem with renting until you try to sell is that you then rely on having a tenant who does not mind you marketing the house while they are living in it, otherwise you can only market for sale in the last 2 months of a tenancy...it all gets a bit complex really!

Our current tenants are fine and allow us to market, as they have agreed to a month by month rolling tenancy, and we have had the house on the market for nearly 5 months (shame it is not so attractive to buyers and not just renters)

I thought the rental market was pretty buoyant in the UK at the moment anyway??
Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:23 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

We were dead lucky, our next door neighbours rented ours the minute we left. they were in a 2 bed and wanted to upgrade to 6 bed to accomodate their grand children, the indoor swimming pool and tennis court were a bit of a sweetener too
Old Jun 18th 2008, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by stevenglish
We were dead lucky, our next door neighbours rented ours the minute we left. they were in a 2 bed and wanted to upgrade to 6 bed to accomodate their grand children, the indoor swimming pool and tennis court were a bit of a sweetener too
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

the dooners is on a distinguished road

Hi everbody
just spoke to the agent who is selling my house and he said the buying/selling market is dead and a lot of deals have fallen through and houses are coming back on the market again. When I asked him about renting he said that market wasn't much better.:curse:

Another solicitor I know has been telling his clients not to buy unless they have already sold.

worrying times

the dooners
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

We came back from a validation trip last April complete with a job offer and only 7 weeks to sort out everything before flying back to Perth. Discussed on the flight back that renting out the house was the easy option. Arrived home to find our new neighbour worked for a rental agent.
We left 7 weeks later at 7am and by 12 noon they were showing the first potential tenants around. We then had another family that wanted it as well as it was in the catchment area for a good school. One year on, the original tenants are still there and seem happy to stay. It's a small 3 bed detached and they're paying £695pcm and we get about £590 after fees.