Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

how long did it take you to get a job in australia?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: how long did it take you to get a job in australia?
up to 1 month?
32.35%
up to 2 months?
11.76%
up to 3 months?
8.82%
up to 4 months?
0%
up to 5 months?
2.94%
up to 6 months?
5.88%
up to 12 months?
2.94%
not looking for a job
0%
had a job before we came out
23.53%
a job? whats that all about?
11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

how long did it take you to get a job in australia?

Old Feb 15th 2007, 5:42 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long did it take you to get a job in australia?

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Had a job within a week. When my other job was coming to an end. I applied for a couple of jobs on the Friday and was offered a job the next day. Depends what you do. My wife also had a job the 2nd day after we arrived. When she was fed up with her job she got another within 4 days.
hi JS..........we have had this conversation b4 havent we?

so, everybody who is sydney area, how far out of sydney (north) can you live to feasibly travel to work in sydney?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
port stephens, just outside newcastle.
my O/H used to be a supermarket manager in his dim and distant past. he says that he wouldnt employ me, going off my resume, because he would think that i would be off at the first opportunity.

it is draining, these constant knock backs. i will just have to dust myself down and get back on the horse again, so to speak.

this afternoon, i have done the cold calling bit. now that was an experience and a half

Make one up

Put something like:

July 1989 - when you arrived
Supermarket checkout girl (insert any relevant job here to the one you are applying for )

I'll send you a reference if you like
Old Feb 15th 2007, 5:47 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
hi JS..........we have had this conversation b4 havent we?

so, everybody who is sydney area, how far out of sydney (north) can you live to feasibly travel to work in sydney?
Sorry SB. Just realised that was you. So i have just repeated myself. No worries.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 5:49 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Make one up

Put something like:

July 1989 - when you arrived
Supermarket checkout girl (insert any relevant job here to the one you are applying for )

I'll send you a reference if you like
cool, thanks wendy
Old Feb 15th 2007, 5:49 pm
Never going back

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Sorry SB. Just realised that was you. So i have just repeated myself. No worries.
no problems, you are just trying to help - thanks
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:00 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

It might be a bit of a long-shot, but have you considered doing some voluntary work? Or trying to find a company that might consider giving you some work experience? (I know that it sounds silly and might make you feel a bit like a 16-year-old), but perhaps some local experience will help your CV? (And boost your confidence in the process?) There's always the hope that you might become indespensible too and they want to hire you permenantly.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
It might be a bit of a long-shot, but have you considered doing some voluntary work? Or trying to find a company that might consider giving you some work experience? (I know that it sounds silly and might make you feel a bit like a 16-year-old), but perhaps some local experience will help your CV? (And boost your confidence in the process?) There's always the hope that you might become indespensible too and they want to hire you permenantly.
GG

I have been doing voluntry work, so much so my house looks like a whirlwind has ripped through it and lack of payment means beans on toast all week!!

But for me it has paid off....I have been offered a p/t post, if I hadn't been there I would probably never have known about it as I get the impression it was not going to be advertised. I think in some cases it is very much who you know!

Worked for me, but then I think right place at the right time, if your face fits and getting a foot in the door to prove yourself, I think Sleeping Beauty has really had a run of bad luck, it is definately not for the want of trying.

SB...if you are reading this I am about to type you a PM.

Nikki
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Both got jobs to go to in Cairns. TBH it was the 1 sticking point about choosing Cairns - could we both find work there ? As it happens it was all rather easy ! (but we both have professions in demand)

Me - CAD drafter

Her - M.H. Nurse

Andy