Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How long to cook a meat loaf?

How long to cook a meat loaf?

Old Jul 21st 2019, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long to cook a meat loaf?

I've made a veggie-packed meatloaf for when my monkeys come to me this afternoon. Same recipe as my meatballs and burger patties, but I've not done it as a loaf before. It is in a regular-sized load tin. How long to cook such a thing? 45mins? An hour? 180C/lower/higher?

Cheers
Old Jul 21st 2019, 2:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long to cook a meat loaf?

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
I've made a veggie-packed meatloaf for when my monkeys come to me this afternoon. Same recipe as my meatballs and burger patties, but I've not done it as a loaf before. It is in a regular-sized load tin. How long to cook such a thing? 45mins? An hour? 180C/lower/higher?

Cheers
170 fan for about 40 minutes. I usually make a sauce for the top of equal parts tomato sauce and mustard with a bit of brown sugar. About 1/2 cup of each and I tbsp brown sugar. Brush on the top before it goes in and it kinda caramalises.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 4:21 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
The one I make has 500g beef mince and 500g pork mince. I cook it at 170c fan forced for 45 minutes, take it out and drain any excess fat off, and put it back in the oven for 30 minutes. I glaze it with half a cup of tomato sauce, 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar (white would do) and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Half the glaze goes on before it goes into the oven the first time, the other half after I've drained the excess fat and put it back for the 30 minutes.

Hope it turns out well and the kids enjoy it, I'm a big fan of meatloaf as it makes yummy sandwiches too
Old Jul 21st 2019, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dorothy and SoS. The sauces sound yummy, but I'll save those for another time. I stuck it in at 170C (fan forced), but after 50 mins it was only hot-ish in the middle, so upped it to 180C and gave it another 15-20 mins. It was a hit with the boys, even no. 1 son who says he hates mushrooms but didn't pick up on the 10 mushrooms I'd chopped into it

I have half left too. That's lunch and dinner sorted for me for another couple days. Fantastic bottom burp fuel, but hey ho it's not like I have to worry about farting in bed any more...
Old Jul 21st 2019, 10:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dorothy and SoS. The sauces sound yummy, but I'll save those for another time. I stuck it in at 170C (fan forced), but after 50 mins it was only hot-ish in the middle, so upped it to 180C and gave it another 15-20 mins. It was a hit with the boys, even no. 1 son who says he hates mushrooms but didn't pick up on the 10 mushrooms I'd chopped into it

I have half left too. That's lunch and dinner sorted for me for another couple days. Fantastic bottom burp fuel, but hey ho it's not like I have to worry about farting in bed any more...
If you're looking for some good recipes check out the recipe thread in the Lounge. Otherwise see if you can find The Women's Weekly Cooking for 2 it's great for cooking for one and leftovers for the next day's lunch. If you can't find it let me know - my mom bought it for me years ago and I don't use it anymore. I'd be happy to send it to you along with some of the other 10000 cookbooks I've amassed over the years (ok, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, I only have 5000 )
Old Jul 21st 2019, 4:13 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it was a hit, and well done for the sneaky veggies! Maybe leave your bedroom door open so you don't suffocate yourself

Old Jul 22nd 2019, 4:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

it's not like I have to worry about farting in bed any more...
Shit, if this was an issue on my household, I'd have been divorced 20 years ago - and I've only been married for 16!
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all, once again.

I didn't know there was a recipes thread. I'll check that out for sure.

Cheers
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

PapaWeaver is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The one I make has 500g beef mince and 500g pork mince. I cook it at 170c fan forced for 45 minutes, take it out and drain any excess fat off, and put it back in the oven for 30 minutes. I glaze it with half a cup of tomato sauce, 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar (white would do) and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Half the glaze goes on before it goes into the oven the first time, the other half after I've drained the excess fat and put it back for the 30 minutes.

Hope it turns out well and the kids enjoy it, I'm a big fan of meatloaf as it makes yummy sandwiches too
Craving for this. Will try this and hope it will turn out yummy too! Thanks for sharing
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 12:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you're looking for some good recipes check out the recipe thread in the Lounge. Otherwise see if you can find The Women's Weekly Cooking for 2 it's great for cooking for one and leftovers for the next day's lunch. If you can't find it let me know - my mom bought it for me years ago and I don't use it anymore. I'd be happy to send it to you along with some of the other 10000 cookbooks I've amassed over the years (ok, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, I only have 5000 )
You are correct, there are some great recipes in that thread...

https://britishexpats.com/forum/loun...thread-435791/

If anyone has a favourite recipe, please post it in the above thread. Thanks.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 11:46 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

We haven’t had a working oven for about 3 years now ... I miss it for this stuff.

Good tips on the sauces, I used honey in mine and topped the thing with chopped onions.

And, yes, great fodder for sarnies.

One day we’ll revamp the kitchen but priorities...