Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How long before you buy your first Electric Vehicle.

How long before you buy your first Electric Vehicle.

Old Jul 21st 2018, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long before you buy your first Electric Vehicle.

Just wondering when people expect they will go into their first electric vehicle. There is a big roll out of EV's coming next year and more and more to come just after that. Apparently there are 70 different types available on the market in China at present so we are way behind here. It looks to me like Volvo are edging out Tesla on the EV side of things being a more trusted brand and vowing to produce only electric cars from next year. We were warned/advised/told this was coming and it looks like the electric vehicle revolution is right upon us. So what type will you be buying? The fully plug-in type (BEV) Battery electric vehicle, The Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) Plug in with a small petrol back up motor, or a Hybrid. Which doesn't plug in and produces the electricity via a larger engine that takes over from short range city based electric motor(s).

I've been waiting for this, but it has sort of crept up on us at the same time. Very sure my next vehicle will be electric of some kind. Whether I own or subscribe to it is an interesting factor as well. So I'm guessing I'll be hanging on to my 2011 ford focus for about another 4 years and making the swap. So 2022 for me.

It's really here now and happening.

How about you?
Old Jul 21st 2018, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long before you buy your first Electric Vehicle.

The success of EVs will come when they can be driven for a thousand miles without having to re-charge. For those who live on small islands, like I do, say a hundred miles.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
The success of EVs will come when they can be driven for a thousand miles without having to re-charge. For those who live on small islands, like I do, say a hundred miles.
Hmmm I dont think your "Getting" Phev's and Hybrids properly.

Plus the range is now up to about 350 for miles for pure BEV's and the fact is most people only drive about 35 miles per day tops. They are rolling out Electronic charge stations that only take 5 mins to charge for 175 miles of range. Most people would want to stop by that distance for a 5 min break at least.

Early subscribers are going to get free travel as the first 3 hours of most council provided stations are free in Australia... After that it's 45 cents for 15 minutes of charging.

Currently there are 600 public charging stations around Australia, that number will double within 3 years.

https://myelectriccar.com.au/charge-...-in-australia/

If you buy a new electric Jaguar this year, Jaguar are rolling out their own "free" charging stations, which in theory means you will never have to pay to refuel your vehicle.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

You make some good points, Ozzie, but how many cars will be able to "fill up" at each charging station at the same time? In other words, how reliable will that five-minutes be? I'm not arguing with you; I don't know enough about the game. And the prospect of free re-charges will certainly bring the troops in!
Old Jul 21st 2018, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
You make some good points, Ozzie, but how many cars will be able to "fill up" at each charging station at the same time? In other words, how reliable will that five-minutes be? I'm not arguing with you; I don't know enough about the game. And the prospect of free re-charges will certainly bring the troops in!
Most people will charge at home and the vast majority of people won't need those onroad charging stations.

It costs currently about 6 AUD to fully charge an electric vehicle for that 350 miles of range. I think people will forgo the free charging option for the convenience of filling up at home.... or at other peoples houses or workplaces even. A 10amp normal household connection takes about 12 hours to charge a vehicle and a 15Amp (Oven/Airconditioner type outlet) about 8 hours.... overnight in other words.

This is coinciding with houses becoming more self-sufficient with Solar and batteries at home. So once most people have solar connected in say 15 years time, the cost to fill one's car will be negligible.

Currently, 1 in 5 Australian households has Solar connected to their households, which is the highest ratio in the world.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 12:40 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
So what type will you be buying? The fully plug-in type (BEV) Battery electric vehicle, The Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) Plug in with a small petrol back up motor, or a Hybrid.

How about you?
I doubt most will be buying an EV, maybe a third to a half of the current ownership, tops. Most will be using EV robotaxis - hiring rather than owning. That makes the finance numbers look much better for all.

And I'd expect that proper EVs will predominate, both because it can make that robotaxi use case make sense, and because it cuts the manufacturing cost/complexity and servicing. I'd expect the range to settle at ~400km (250miles) with any development drive trying to reduce cost and weight, rather than increase range (cf mobile phones).
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
I doubt most will be buying an EV, maybe a third to a half of the current ownership, tops. Most will be using EV robotaxis - hiring rather than owning. That makes the finance numbers look much better for all.

And I'd expect that proper EVs will predominate, both because it can make that robotaxi use case make sense, and because it cuts the manufacturing cost/complexity and servicing. I'd expect the range to settle at ~400km (250miles) with any development drive trying to reduce cost and weight, rather than increase range (cf mobile phones).

I did say or subscribe

Here's the leading company in the field. I used them last week to ride from home to near my workplace, a 5 kilometer trip... to pick up my car after being serviced.

Cost 2.50 yes AUD 2.50 They've got heavy discounting in on introductory plans at present. Didi. I'd say this will be the company that ends up bigger than any company we've seen before. Microsoft and Amazon included.

https://roskill.com/news/electric-ve...m-evs-by-2028/

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 22nd 2018 at 2:06 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever given car sharing a run? I did for a while about 6 years back. Its was great and for my usage at the time (a couple of trips during the week and use on weekends) it actually worked out cheaper than car ownership.

However like always it's never about costs and all about convenience and necessity which really killed it off. You want to run to the shops ..... ah unavailable ..... you want to do an all day trip ..... nup someone has booked it from 3pm .... .....

That's the problem with sharing ....... you have to accommodate others and and given cars are cheap, no one is willing to give that away, especially when families and wags are involved.

You need to think a little more about practicalities, human nature, cost of convenience rather than a scientific approach.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Just wondering when people expect they will go into their first electric vehicle. There is a big roll out of EV's coming next year and more and more to come just after that. Apparently there are 70 different types available on the market in China at present so we are way behind here. It looks to me like Volvo are edging out Tesla on the EV side of things being a more trusted brand and vowing to produce only electric cars from next year. We were warned/advised/told this was coming and it looks like the electric vehicle revolution is right upon us. So what type will you be buying? The fully plug-in type (BEV) Battery electric vehicle, The Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) Plug in with a small petrol back up motor, or a Hybrid. Which doesn't plug in and produces the electricity via a larger engine that takes over from short range city based electric motor(s).

I've been waiting for this, but it has sort of crept up on us at the same time. Very sure my next vehicle will be electric of some kind. Whether I own or subscribe to it is an interesting factor as well. So I'm guessing I'll be hanging on to my 2011 ford focus for about another 4 years and making the swap. So 2022 for me.

It's really here now and happening.

How about you?
I went to some big RSL type club yesterday, newly built, styled like I have never seen such a place built on poker machines, massive underground carpark which had no less than 15 charging points.

Someone is hopeful.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 11:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't affect me as I don't drive, but I work for a large government department Outdoor car park of maybe 100 spaces, always full, mostly with government cars that never move. At least 50% of staff park in the surrounding streets and many of them drive 1.5-2 hours to work.
Its the government. They aren't going to give us free electric to recharge cars (nor would I expect them to).
So I'm vaguely interested in- how log would the power stored in one of these cars last for? As no-one will be able to charge a car at our workplace, they will need at least 4 hours of power just to get them to work and home again. Does one of these cars store that much? Many staff are shift workers leaving at unusual hours - is the idea that they have to stop in some garage somewhere for an hour or so at 2am while the car recharges?
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 12:10 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Doesn't affect me as I don't drive, but I work for a large government department Outdoor car park of maybe 100 spaces, always full, mostly with government cars that never move. At least 50% of staff park in the surrounding streets and many of them drive 1.5-2 hours to work.
Its the government. They aren't going to give us free electric to recharge cars (nor would I expect them to).
So I'm vaguely interested in- how log would the power stored in one of these cars last for? As no-one will be able to charge a car at our workplace, they will need at least 4 hours of power just to get them to work and home again. Does one of these cars store that much? Many staff are shift workers leaving at unusual hours - is the idea that they have to stop in some garage somewhere for an hour or so at 2am while the car recharges?
As above, the model is kind if different. Charge is more in terms of range, which depends on how you drive, etc. as well as temp.

If you assume they live 120km from work (2x60kph), then with a 400km range they can easily get too and from work. Charge will be at least as safe as a LiON in your laptop eg days to weeks. However, it's likely that two things will come into play. First the car is likely to go off on its own to be able to charge up, and you might well be renting it out during the day to earn money. And it's also likely that you won't own it, just rent it for the journeys (probably ride shaing).

And those government cars gumming up the car park are likely to not be there either. There's a high likelihood that car parks in the CBD will disappear with any waiting being charging time, and being on the outskirts also.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 1:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As above, the model is kind if different. Charge is more in terms of range, which depends on how you drive, etc. as well as temp.

If you assume they live 120km from work (2x60kph), then with a 400km range they can easily get too and from work. Charge will be at least as safe as a LiON in your laptop eg days to weeks. However, it's likely that two things will come into play. First the car is likely to go off on its own to be able to charge up, and you might well be renting it out during the day to earn money. And it's also likely that you won't own it, just rent it for the journeys (probably ride shaing).

And those government cars gumming up the car park are likely to not be there either. There's a high likelihood that car parks in the CBD will disappear with any waiting being charging time, and being on the outskirts also.
This is well outside the CBD, 15kms or so; most people are just not allowed parking on site and end u in streets u to 20 minutes walk away,
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 12:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Got back from Japan yesterday

Did a lot of driving

Charging stations are EVERYWHERE

Never saw a car plugged into one

Ever
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There's a high likelihood that car parks in the CBD will disappear with any waiting being charging time, and being on the outskirts also.
Not sure about Melbourne but in Sydney there aren't really any dedicated CBD carparks any more and the carparks that do exist are basement / under building types. There is no financial benefit in leasing above ground lettable area to carparking which is why they have been replaced with office or residential. You cannot lease basement space to office or residential so these are the car parks.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 1:42 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Beoz
Not sure about Melbourne but in Sydney there aren't really any dedicated CBD carparks any more
Melbourne CBD has plenty of multi-storey carparks, and onstreet parking in the CBD. My guess is most will go as autonomous vehicles take off - the multistories to another 30 storey office block, and the onstreet to wider routes and drop offs for autonomous vehicles. Personally I'd kick the trams too, but I'm sure someone will complain that they are historic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.