Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How have you all felt while settling in?

How have you all felt while settling in?

Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default How have you all felt while settling in?

How many of you out there have battled a bit with settling in?

I thought I would settle easily and I was disappointed in my self when I started feeling depressed. This was what I wanted so why was I feeling like this?

Am I alone in feeling like this or do lots of others also battle with the stress of moving country?
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How have you all felt while settling in?

Originally Posted by Luma

I thought I would settle easily and I was disappointed in my self when I started feeling depressed. This was what I wanted so why was I feeling like this?

Am I alone in feeling like this or do lots of others also battle with the stress of moving country?
I have some days where I just can't be bothered with anything. I'm not sure what it is as I'm not unhappy or struggling with homesickness at all. It could be something as simple as my pills aren't working (for my thyroid before anyone says owt!! ) or it could be that I've not really had any time to myself since we got here with my OH having to do his licence stuff (this is more likely ).

Even when I try to get out on my own he always ends up coming along as well, can't even go shopping on my own

I'm having a night out on Saturday though with some people who live near me and Dotnron (who I can't wait to meet) so I'm hoping that will give me a bit of a boost. Plus I'm off to the doctors tomorrow for my blood test :scared: so will find out if it's that.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:59 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be too hard on yourself mate - it takes a bit of time. Get yourself into a routine and it will come. Remember Summers coming

After 8 weeks living out of a suitcase having a closet was my idea of heaven (that and a fridge full of cold beer - not coin operated)
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:14 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think they say it's the end of the 'honeymoon' period and real life sets in!
Happened to me last winter, couldn't understand why I felt letharic and had no motivation. I wasn't homesick either, just couldn't put my finger on the cause.
It passed at the start of summer and have been fine since!
Hope you feel better soon,
Tracey
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:30 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Really this is utterly normal. Think of your mental health as a wave line, massive amounts of stress and excitement leading to an anxiety high at arrival, bedding in and reality of 'this is it' means that wave goes down. You just need to equalise.

You have gone through a massive change. Everyone hits this wall, some just temporarily and for some it is more severe. I do understand the guilt that you feel as most people feel this when they are depressed....'I should be happy but I'm not...'

I truely believe that this will pass for you.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:30 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: How have you all felt while settling in?

To be honest I think that most peeps go through periods of adjustment and if you look at the posts on here the guys seem to settle in more easily than the women. I think thats because we women like to have a natter, a coffee and a chat with our mates, get here and we know no-one. Isolation can be a real problem. It's hard getting to know people and I found that I had to make a real effort to get out there and talk to people, sometimes even harder when people can't understand the accent!!!! Fortunately, we have met loads of friends through this site by going to the meets in Sydney and now here on the Gold Coast so grab your opportunities where you find them. Even now, although I love living here and would never go back to the UK I struggle some days with homesickness without really realising at first whats up with me lol
Example: last christmas I was smelling aftershave as potential gifts, then completely unexpectantly burst into tears.................because it reminded me of my brother I felt like a right idiot lmao but there you go it happens to all of us. Hope this helps you a bit.
Pauline ( soapy's better half)
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for your replies you guys are such a lovely bunch!

Wendy, good luck for the bloods - hope it is all normal.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 11:02 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

well, after coming here with no pre-concieved ideas at all, i have shocked myself by really struggling. we have only been here since august, so i know its early days yet. i am quite a strong person emotionally, so i am truly shocked on how i have reacted.

at the moment, i wouldnt go back to uk, i worked too damn hard to get here in the first place, and i have to keep reminding myself on the reasons why we left. i will try my hardest to make it work, but this thought process doesnt stop me feeling like i am feeling. i sent my dads and sister-in-laws bday cards today, along with my brothers anniversary card - that got to me.

i hope that this will pass, as i am sure it will, and the list of the things that i miss will diminish with time. but, at the mo, sorry, i will hold my hand up, i am struggling like hell.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
To be honest I think that most peeps go through periods of adjustment and if you look at the posts on here the guys seem to settle in more easily than the women. I think thats because we women like to have a natter, a coffee and a chat with our mates, get here and we know no-one. Isolation can be a real problem. It's hard getting to know people and I found that I had to make a real effort to get out there and talk to people, sometimes even harder when people can't understand the accent!!!! Fortunately, we have met loads of friends through this site by going to the meets in Sydney and now here on the Gold Coast so grab your opportunities where you find them. Even now, although I love living here and would never go back to the UK I struggle some days with homesickness without really realising at first whats up with me lol
Example: last christmas I was smelling aftershave as potential gifts, then completely unexpectantly burst into tears.................because it reminded me of my brother I felt like a right idiot lmao but there you go it happens to all of us. Hope this helps you a bit.
Pauline ( soapy's better half)
Well hello and welcome Pauline, I started to read and thought that Soapy was writing with his feminine side. How did you manage to get him off the PC
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:47 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebraH
Well hello and welcome Pauline, I started to read and thought that Soapy was writing with his feminine side. How did you manage to get him off the PC

I was just amazed that someone took such pity as to marry Soapy!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

MJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya
I know exactly what you are going through,We have been in Oz 9 weeks and i am still a bit down,It was heartbreaking the other day when my eldest who is 13 was crying that she didnt want to go to school( On her 4th day)
Sometimes i am fine the other i just want to go home.
I think this is normal! :scared:
Jo
Old Oct 24th 2006, 3:49 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Totally normal. I have been fine up until recently and my brother came over for 2 weeks. Since he went home I have been a little low, not homesick necessarily because I know our life is better here but the reality of how far away loved ones are really hit home.

Chin up and if you fancy a coffee, PM me.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 6:24 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by busterboy
I was just amazed that someone took such pity as to marry Soapy!
Ditto that pal!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 6:27 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

We are both fully expecting it to take a couple of years before we settle down and feel that OZ is home. Have spoken to a few people that have gone through it...all say the same!

As much as we are determined to make a go of it and as much ambitious (does that make sense?) as we are.......we are prepared to feel pretty crap about everything for a couple of years.

Im certain its a perfectly normal feeling, a part of being human! At the end of the day, you are being taken away from everything you have ever known and thrust into a whole new way of life.....no matter how good that new way of life may be, it is still very different and will take time to get yer head around it!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:58 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebraH
Hi there and thanx for the welcome, I drugged him and prised his fingers off the keyboard
Pauline

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.