Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How have you all felt while settling in?

How have you all felt while settling in?

Old Nov 17th 2006, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of
Question

Originally Posted by MJELNC
Hiya
I know exactly what you are going through,We have been in Oz 9 weeks and i am still a bit down,It was heartbreaking the other day when my eldest who is 13 was crying that she didnt want to go to school( On her 4th day)
Sometimes i am fine the other i just want to go home.
I think this is normal! :scared:
Jo
WQhat did you do?Is she more settled now?I`m dreading this happening with our 12 y.o son.I`m hoping younger children will take it in their stride. We arrive Sydney1.07
Old Dec 11th 2006, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How have you all felt while settling in?

Today I went to see the GP. I'm starting on anti-depressants. Hopefully by the new year I'll be feeling less blue.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 10:02 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Luma
Today I went to see the GP. I'm starting on anti-depressants. Hopefully by the new year I'll be feeling less blue.
Hi Luma...i thought you had started to settle abit more, but obviously not. Have you any idea what is making you so depressed. My kids unhappiness make me depressed but thankfully they seem to be OK at the mo.
I have never been on anti-depressants so i don't know if these will help you, but if you think they will help then go for it.
I do hope you feel better soon, PM me again if you want to chat more, i think we live near each other..take care
Old Dec 11th 2006, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hugs to you Luma. Hope you feel more settled after christmas, I think it's probably the most difficult time of year
Old Dec 12th 2006, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

MJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilgar
WQhat did you do?Is she more settled now?I`m dreading this happening with our 12 y.o son.I`m hoping younger children will take it in their stride. We arrive Sydney1.07

Hiya
I had to be firm as much as it killed me to do it i took her in school (crying) and told the receptionist that she was having a rough time,they were very understanding and took her away.I could have SO easily kept her off school but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind eh.
To see your 13 yr old in tears is hard but they do settle.
I think it was harder for her as it was towards the end of term in yr 8.

She is doing really well now and has lots of friends
Most schools have new kids starting every week,she has had four new kids start since she started LOL
My other two who are 11 and 9 settled straight in No problem at all
Old Dec 12th 2006, 7:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you for taking this step. I know I was on them for a while a couple of years ago and it really did help with my situation. I really hope you feel better soon.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 7:26 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

How many of you out there have battled a bit with settling in?

I thought I would settle easily and I was disappointed in my self when I started feeling depressed. This was what I wanted so why was I feeling like this?

Am I alone in feeling like this or do lots of others also battle with the stress of moving country?
must admit i`ve felt the wife alot since we have been here
she must be my comforter
Old Dec 12th 2006, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

I think the whole stress of moving country with toddlers has been the cause of my depression and then a lack of a support network on this side. I had post-natal depression after both my kids were born so I guess I'm just a bit more prone to it.

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Hi Luma...i thought you had started to settle abit more, but obviously not. Have you any idea what is making you so depressed. My kids unhappiness make me depressed but thankfully they seem to be OK at the mo.
I have never been on anti-depressants so i don't know if these will help you, but if you think they will help then go for it.
I do hope you feel better soon, PM me again if you want to chat more, i think we live near each other..take care
Old Dec 13th 2006, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Well done to you for being proactive..

Hope the road up gets easier.
Take care
Old Dec 13th 2006, 1:28 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad that you are getting support from your GP.

I have felt strange since arriving back in Perth (and remember, I grew up here). One minute I am over the top, happy to be back and seeing my family again and the next minute I am down low, tears etc when I think of my OH being away from his family, friends etc. I also feel because neither of us has jobs yet, that we are almost trapped in the house. We are running out of money and the money in our UK account is for our UK loan repayments, so I am not willing to touch it.

I have a job interview this afternoon and another tomorrow afternoon, so fingers crossed I find something soon!

Take Care
Old Dec 13th 2006, 1:30 am
now sweet kraut

sour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to all

It helps loads to find out you're not the only one, doesn't it.
I spoke to someone the other day who told me that during their first bout of homesickness on a good day they would only cry once. Until then I thought it was just me being silly, and how could I be so weak.
I've accepted the extreme emotional thin-skinnedness now as something that's normal and will pass.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

elfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sour kraut
It helps loads to find out you're not the only one, doesn't it.
I spoke to someone the other day who told me that during their first bout of homesickness on a good day they would only cry once. Until then I thought it was just me being silly, and how could I be so weak.
I've accepted the extreme emotional thin-skinnedness now as something that's normal and will pass.
I hav'nt read the whole thread so please don't think I'm uncaring. I really do sympathise if your feeling down.

We've only been here 3 monthes but I love it and feel great, I feel guilty for not feeling homesick!!

The only thing I miss is Buttercup Syrup ......sad I know.

Elfin
Old Dec 13th 2006, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfin
I hav'nt read the whole thread so please don't think I'm uncaring. I really do sympathise if your feeling down.

We've only been here 3 monthes but I love it and feel great, I feel guilty for not feeling homesick!!

The only thing I miss is Buttercup Syrup ......sad I know.

Elfin
Buttercup syrup, it is the BEST.. I agree.. Although was home in the summer and the pharmacy in Tesco didnt sell it anymore... Calamaty!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 13th 2006, 11:31 am
now sweet kraut

sour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to all

Hee hee. I take it it's some kind of cough mixture? Looovely.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 12:34 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

I had post-natal depression after both my kids were born so I guess I'm just a bit more prone to it.
Generally highly motivated and focused women are.

At least its not a bad word in Australia and the treatment is more advanced.

Its a long road girl keep with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.