British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   How has your day been? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/how-has-your-day-been-758202/)

carolinephillips Jul 5th 2012 4:52 am

Re: How has your day been?

Ouchies to Eddie and Iwannabethere. Hope the pain subsides/has gone.
Off to what I hope will be the last physio session. doubt that she can make the pain go away- just have to accept that it is now chronic, and live with it.

itigo Jul 5th 2012 5:16 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 10153833)
No news is good news ... A decent positive angle :thumbup:

Good news is better though :D

Good luck with it, all we can do is our best and if you prepared well and felt that the interview went well then it's in the lap of the gods.

Just had the phone call. Oh well. Basically not enough recent or local experience (without actually saying the words). Said I interviewed well and it was a tough decision but the person they chose had current experience in schools. I have been tutoring since I got here and emigrated with a 7 month old 3 years ago. Perhaps not the best career wise!

It's really hard to get a role down here, even in CRT, at the moment. And the longer I'm out of the classroom, the harder it gets. I will plod on.........at least I didn't stuff up the interview.

DeadVim Jul 5th 2012 6:23 am

Originally Posted by itigo (Post 10155470)
Just had the phone call. Oh well. Basically not enough recent or local experience (without actually saying the words). Said I interviewed well and it was a tough decision but the person they chose had current experience in schools. I have been tutoring since I got here and emigrated with a 7 month old 3 years ago. Perhaps not the best career wise!

It's really hard to get a role down here, even in CRT, at the moment. And the longer I'm out of the classroom, the harder it gets. I will plod on.........at least I didn't stuff up the interview.

If you interviewed well then that's half the battle, take heart from that and good luck with the next one.

I didn't even get a 'Nope, sorry' call :frown:

carolinephillips Jul 5th 2012 7:13 am

Originally Posted by itigo (Post 10155470)

Dang- how are you supposed to get local experience, if you need local experience to be hired?? Would doing a bit of volunteering help?

Scubaemma Jul 5th 2012 7:52 am

Today has been very ordinary - back to work.

The last week has been great. We went over to Straddie camping and fishing. Took the roof off the Jeep and drove along the beach in the sunshine, watching the whales put on a good show jumping around, the fish were biting, there were dolphins playing, a kangaroo jumped alongside us as we drove back to the campsite, it was brilliant, felt like I was in a Tourism Australia advert :lol:

(we'll skip over day 1 which was the only day of [torrential] rain, and having out the tent up and dashed over to the in-laws tent to make a cuppa, looked back a ours to see one of the tent poles had full-on snapped and speared through the roof of the tent leaving a gaping hole.... Did I mention the torrential rain? :lol:)

Hope all those waiting on good news (health and job related) get it soon :fingerscrossed:

Dorothy Jul 5th 2012 8:37 am

Pretty good until I saw the gastro to have my band re-filled. I swear those needles get bigger around every time I go there. :frown:

carolinephillips Jul 5th 2012 9:49 pm

Physio discharged me as she can do no more! I have to self manage the pain now.
Finished making a corset and peplum for DD, who is pleased with it. Now I just have to make the under-dress. Off to the shops to choose fabric later.
DD also tried on some of my vintage clothing- my red Laura Ashley 1986 dress, which was the first one that I dragged OH back to the shop to see. I couldn't afford it, so he helped me buy it (we were going out at the time) and I haven't had the heart to part with it. It looked lovely on DD, and she wants to wear it to her Y12 formal next year. (Y11 is dress-up, hence the costume making.) I have to admit to feeling rather jealous that she looks better than I ever did.

Iwannabethere Jul 5th 2012 10:04 pm

Had a lovely night's sleep. Went to bed at 8.45pm and just got up. Off to see Pirate Pantomonium (sic) at the library later if little ones well enough. Pain not returned :thumbsup: and little people on the mend slowly.

itigo Jul 5th 2012 10:09 pm

Off with a friend and accompanying children to the movies today. First time my youngest has been and first time eldest has been where she can eat the popcorn (used to have an allergy) so very excited all round!

itigo Jul 5th 2012 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 10155586)
Dang- how are you supposed to get local experience, if you need local experience to be hired?? Would doing a bit of volunteering help?

Yes, the age old conundrum......I think it will just take someone to give me the 'fair go' I keep hearing about.

I am on my daughter's school council, I tutor at home and in schools and am on the CRT list for several schools. I do regular PD as I'm a consultant for an association that refers pupils for tutoring from a huge learning difficulties organisation and we have to satisfy PD criteria each year. We seem to be flooded with CRTs here at the moment so I have had no calls all year. I have immersed myself in the education system as much as I can without actually having a permie job!

Cheetah7 Jul 6th 2012 12:43 am

Ordered myself a nice journal as I have ideas for articles and stuff and my iPhone is too fiddly to write them down on, so cant wait for that to arrive:thumbsup:.

Doctor stopped the immuno suppressants yesterday as I only had to smell food and I wanted to hurl and not eating was not an option and I need a main meal to take other meds so he has stopped it for a week or so to give me a break, so didnt have any yesterday but the smell of food made me want to be sick this morning but I didnt have tummy cramps last night which is something.

Off to see that movie 'Ted' at the cinema tonight, that looks quite funny so looking forward to that.

Tomorrow its off to get some new linen for my spare room - my friend from Melbourne is coming over next Friday, haven't seen her since we left the UK, cant wait for that.

Anyone up to anything nice today or the weekend?

Iwannabethere Jul 6th 2012 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah7 (Post 10157237)

Cleaned house yesterday. Doing laundry and changing bedding today and will do ironing tonight so that the whole weekend is clear :thumbsup:

Might go down to the coast and see if we can see any whales or maybe go to Monarto Zoo. Or maybe both!

What are your plans with your friend? See the sights or girls nights in?

While I understand that meals are needed for medications, general well-being and that little matter called 'life', not eating does help the kilos melt away!

Didn't make it to Weight Watchers on Weds as little boy spiking a 39 degree temp and he was so upset before I even thought about going out. Will try again next week!

DeadVim Jul 6th 2012 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah7 (Post 10157237)

Laundry, housework, yardwork, cooking stuff and chopping wood today. I have a lumberjack shirt on too. :D

Tomorrow the tribe will be elsewhere for most of the day so I will attempt to do only as much as necessary to avoid being seen as a lazy unemployable slob. I hope there will be some cricket on TV in the evening but the UK weather isn't favourable.

On Sunday I will play cricket, we just have had 11 players confirmed so that is half the battle won. :thumbup:

eddie007 Jul 6th 2012 2:12 am

It would appear that a pre requisite for a dirty weekend away is Plenty of Codral Cold and Flu tablets.... Needed them last time too....

Got told to go home from my RTW program yesterday... Coz they have massive gaps in the roster without some one who is developing symptoms infecting the " well " staff....

If I hadnt paid I wouldnt be going. As it is I'm going to have to let HIM do the driving.... When HE gets home from work.... Coz having planned this for months HE wouldnt have already rescheduled it due to belt grading OR failed to take a day off ...would HE? No.. Shirley Knott

Cheetah7 Jul 6th 2012 2:17 am

Everyone is off sick with this bug - Mr PP is still chesty and coughing, although a lot better, despite 2 courses of antibiotics, doctor wont give any more but lots of people at work have it and are off sick.

Seems to be a nasty one.