Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How has your day been?

How has your day been?

Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How has your day been?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Driving lessons at 40 dollars per hour minimum x 120 hour statutory minimum that a learner driver needs in Victoria would cost 4800 dollars..... It's more like 5500 as they usually cost 185 bucks for 5 lessons @ 45 mins.

Ergo personally I paid for 10 lessons to get her to handle a car and got the 19yo daughter through myself. Pay for a advanced driving course after shes passed at 300 dollars and that'll fix up the bad habits.
Yeah, we got my daughter 10 lessons as a birthday gift. She still wasn't very confident so she stumped up half for another 5. She's just about to get her red Ps next week.
Originally Posted by carolinephillips
She had 10 lessons from a professional instructor. I blame myself for not telling her quickly enough to swing a bit wider- it was a bit late by the time I said it. She's done that turn before with no trouble. Guess we are all having a bad time of it atm. OH scalded himself last night whilst bringing me a cup of tea- either that or he meant to fling it at me.
Oh no! I thought your daughter was just out for the first time.

Sorry about the hubby burning himself.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:30 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Nope. I'll find out when Bernie's expected and make my retreat. Pick a number between absolute zero and zero and you have how much interest I have in seeing Mr Boy.
Aw come on. Why can't you let bygones be bygones?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Aw come on. Why can't you let bygones be bygones?
What bygones? He's simply someone I have no interest in meeting.

There are actually very few people in the world who I dislike or hold grudges against. It's too much effort and frankly I have better things to do. Ambivalence on the other hand is alive and well.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:55 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
B*gg*r. Took DD out for a driving lesson, and she has managed to dent/scrape the car, getting it wrong whilst going into a tight bend in a car park.

She is devastated and shook up. I'm trying to be calm, but we are looking at a huge repair bill, and a child who is even more depressed/anxious now.
Best thing you can say to your daughter about the damage to the car is to trivialise it - tell her the car doesn't matter at all to you. Then give her a hug.

My eldest was initially disappointed in himself for scratching our car and I told him all that matters to his mum and I is he is okay, we don't care at all about the car. Then I cracked a joke with him about P-platers () and that was the end of the matter - all good
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

The thing to make clear is that a car is an unemotional object. Worry about the contents, not the car itself. Cars are much easier to repair than humans. After all, they (cars) are ulimately just scrap metal in the end...
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I did trivialise it - let her see all the other dents in cars and scrapes on posts and showed her the small dents at the back where I'd got reversing wrong. OH told her about his first drive after he had passed his test, when he reversed into a post and smashed up his dad's car. He then told her to make a list of 10 things she could learn from everything that has gone wrong this week, and then 10 positive things. Her first one was that "Mum's car is wider than I think."

Today I'm off to a few smash repairers to get quotes.....
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:16 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
There goes the country
I feel the love bro
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:17 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What bygones? He's simply someone I have no interest in meeting.

There are actually very few people in the world who I dislike or hold grudges against. It's too much effort and frankly I have better things to do. Ambivalence on the other hand is alive and well.
Couldn't agree more
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:42 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
I feel the love bro
Enjoy your trip
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Enjoy your trip
+1
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:52 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
The thing to make clear is that a car is an unemotional object. Worry about the contents, not the car itself. Cars are much easier to repair than humans. After all, they (cars) are ulimately just scrap metal in the end...
Wise words, it's just stuff.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Wise words, it's just stuff.
About $1500 worth of damage.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 4:05 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
OH has scraped the side of the one car while trying to reposition the letterbox at the end of our driveway and eldest left some paint off one of the bumpers of the other car on a shopping mall car park pillar. Nobody was hurt so am I bovvered?

Very true, I had a disagreement with a helipad sign and have the evidence on my rear bumper to prove it - nothing major, noone was hurt, no big deal.

I have fast learned in the past year that anything other than loved ones, doesnt matter too much - at the end of the day, stuff can be replaced, and people cant.

If there was ever a time I have realised the value of life and the people that I love in my life, that is now.

Each time I look at the bumper of my car, it reminds me to keep a better eye out for signs - just learn from your mistakes and move on from them.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Jan 8th 2014 at 4:12 am.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DD can't believe how cool I've been about the whole thing. Wait till she gets the bill!!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:25 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

My day has been fan-arsing-tastic up until now!

Dad's cancer has only slightly gone beyond the prostate and is being treated with hormone injections and radiotherapy. The oncologist reckons he will 'outlive his cancer'.

I got the most awful migraine after getting that news, I had been stressed and worried all day and the minute he told me, the relief gave me a headache.

Now we are praying my sister stays in remission and I am also hoping that when I get my moles cut out in a couple of weeks, that they are OK as well.

Work is going great, so far my family are OK and I have realised what is important - the small stuff is not worth worrying about.

Today is a good day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.