Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How has your day been?

How has your day been?

Old Nov 9th 2013, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How has your day been?

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Had a pretty crappy week (literally), been off sick all week with gastro, still not quite over it.

Then this morning it got a bit worse (not the gastro),

Had a message from my brother in UK this morning.

Mum has liver cancer and had had 2 sessions of chemo. The second session left her with blood clots on her lungs, which meant they had to put an umbrella in her heart, she couldn't have it done at first as her platelet level was so low, so she had an infusion, after that they did it under local anaesthetic.

That was 4 weeks ago, she was supposed to have another chemo session on Monday, but she still wasn't well enough so they were going to do it yesterday.

This morning I found out she isn't going to be doing any more chemo, the cancer has spread quite a lot and she only has weeks and months rather than months and years.

I'm absolutely devastated and really don't know when to go for the best. I want to go right now this minute, but I would also love to be there at Christmas and have a Christmas with her, and then again I want to be with her at the end and I have no idea when that would be.

With my other brother still not speaking to me I don't want to be there when he is as I don't want it to be hard on mum at all.

What a shit start to the weekend, and with still feeling like crap I can't drown my sorrows
Poor you and your Mum. Here is my advice.Don't drown your sorrows. It won't help.Don't let the issues with your brother interfere with your plans with your Mum.Do what your heart tells you to do.Have your credit card and passport ready.You will know in the next week or so when you should go.It is a tough call to make but it will come to you.I feel your pain and don't envy you.
Sorry to hear the news about your Mum.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 3:54 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Had a pretty crappy week (literally), been off sick all week with gastro, still not quite over it.

Mum has liver cancer and had had 2 sessions of chemo. The second session left her with blood clots on her lungs, which meant they had to put an umbrella in her heart, she couldn't have it done at first as her platelet level was so low, so she had an infusion, after that they did it under local anaesthetic.

That was 4 weeks ago, she was supposed to have another chemo session on Monday, but she still wasn't well enough so they were going to do it yesterday.

This morning I found out she isn't going to be doing any more chemo, the cancer has spread quite a lot and she only has weeks and months rather than months and years.

I'm absolutely devastated and really don't know when to go for the best. I want to go right now this minute, but I would also love to be there at Christmas and have a Christmas with her, and then again I want to be with her at the end and I have no idea when that would be.

With my other brother still not speaking to me I don't want to be there when he is as I don't want it to be hard on mum at all.

What a shit start to the weekend, and with still feeling like crap I can't drown my sorrows
Huge hugs for you ((())). We are in a VERY similar position and is the reason I am flying out this Friday, to spend some time with my mum. An awful time for everyone and certainly not the circumstances under which I though I would be making my first trip back to the UK
Old Nov 9th 2013, 4:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Personal view would be forget christmas, go now. Sounds really bloody harsh but you may not have her around for christmas and you need to see her whilst she's aware enough to know you're there. As for the 'being there' at the end, that's likely an impossible wish. We got the call, were told the mother had at most a few months, got a flight two days time and she died two hours before we left for the airport. My brother and sister had spent the previous week at the hospital but she died whilst they were both home asleep. They both told me that I really did not want to see her at the end, it's left them with horrible memories because of how she looked.

Huge sympathies though.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Personal view would be forget christmas, go now. Sounds really bloody harsh but you may not have her around for christmas and you need to see her whilst she's aware enough to know you're there. As for the 'being there' at the end, that's likely an impossible wish. We got the call, were told the mother had at most a few months, got a flight two days time and she died two hours before we left for the airport. My brother and sister had spent the previous week at the hospital but she died whilst they were both home asleep. They both told me that I really did not want to see her at the end, it's left them with horrible memories because of how she looked.

Huge sympathies though.
I second that- my sister still has nightmares about my dad almost 2 years on. I am lucky that all I have are happy memories of what he was, not what he became. Also we could not afford to fly there to see him before he died and fly again to attend the funeral.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 4:40 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Huge hugs for you ((())). We are in a VERY similar position and is the reason I am flying out this Friday, to spend some time with my mum. An awful time for everyone and certainly not the circumstances under which I though I would be making my first trip back to the UK
((((hugs)))) to you both
Old Nov 9th 2013, 6:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Busy but productive. We went out this morning and decided on which granite to have installed in our kitchen then bought some new block out curtains for our bedroom. Once we got home I cleaned the pool and picked a second harvest of veggies from my garden. Last week I brought in the last of the first crop of radishes and now the peas, tomatoes and some of the carrots are ready. I've also got enough chillies to keep Mexico in business!
Old Nov 9th 2013, 6:28 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Really really sorry to read your news. It's a terrible heart-breaking time. I lost both my parents to cancer just before I came over here and it's just awful.

I'm with moneypenny on the go now if it's at all possible front. Two reasons really, one being that it's better to see your mum whilst she's still relatively good, because then you can hopefully store up a few more smiles to see you through the future. I was with my mum right through her illness, right to the end and I treasure the time we spent together and I learned a lot about her as a person rather than just her as my mum. My other reason is that, my mum had been told her cancer was terminal right from the start, so it was always just a question of time, anyway, at one point in the proceedings just after it was agreed no more chemo was to be given as the affect of it was not proving worth the extra time she might gain .... anyway, the doctor said that we should, with good luck and a following wind have her for a few more months, she died a week later. You just never know what is going to happen.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, there is no right or wrong answer, you have to do what fits in with your life and finances and whatnot. Keep your chin up but remember to look after yourself and I hope that you have people around you to give you the support you need.

Rasen, I know you've made the decision already to go home, I hadn't realised that you were in the same sort of situation. My thoughts are with you and yours too at this time. Hope the trip goes as well as it can in the circumstances.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 10:51 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the kind words xx

Rasen I hope you have a safe flight and you store up some wonderful memories for the future.

I have just spoken to my brother and the outcome is he is first going to speak to her consultant. Her greatest wish is to come back to Australia, so he is going to see if that is possible.

If not I shall be speaking to my boss (who has already told me I can go at the drop of a hat) and go this coming Thursday.

Either way I shall be spending some time with my mum in the next few weeks.

Shirley
Old Nov 9th 2013, 3:03 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Shirley I am so sorry to hear your news. Wishing you lots of love in the weeks ahead
Old Nov 13th 2013, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic, great, super, spiffing

Should have been leaving here at 6pm... if some one had pulled their bloody finger out.... wont be leaving til nearly 8pm now... I kept hovering, offering help... and repeatedly got NO...

No worries, all hours I can take back... BUT its bloody annoying when some one wades unaided through treacle and makes you 2 hours late home...

But on a positive note...I HAVE TWO DAYS OFF WOOOHOO..... actually that would be FOUR if you count the weekend
Old Nov 13th 2013, 9:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I stubbed my toe hard enough to take half the nail off. It really hurts and now I have to wear flip flops until my nail grows back
Old Nov 13th 2013, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I stubbed my toe hard enough to take half the nail off. It really hurts and now I have to wear flip flops until my nail grows back
Oww! I did that last year, but took the whole bloody ( literally!) nail off, and it didn't like jolts. The next day I was limping through Heathrow and some fat bastard walked backwards into me and put all the weight his heel could put onto my throbing toe. I made an anguished but suppressed moan of rage and pain, and porko turned round and muttered " What's up, bud..?"
The temptation of showing him was unussually high, but I resisted.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:34 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Oww! I did that last year, but took the whole bloody ( literally!) nail off, and it didn't like jolts. The next day I was limping through Heathrow and some fat bastard walked backwards into me and put all the weight his heel could put onto my throbing toe. I made an anguished but suppressed moan of rage and pain, and porko turned round and muttered " What's up, bud..?"
The temptation of showing him was unussually high, but I resisted.
porko
Old Nov 13th 2013, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Awwww..... Would you like some one to kiss it better for you?

Personally I wouldn't be wearing flip flops... You'll get all the Aussies staring at your feet going "what the **** are those" ....try and find a pair of thongs... That way you won't spend the whole day telling them what you have on your feet

Today is going to be PERFECT!!!!

Slept in till 5.30 this morning, third cup of coffee being drunk.... Retail therapy this morning then sitting on grandbabygruffalo in the pool this arvo... May even try and teach myself to make a beach bag for the niece for chrimbo... I have the fabric (rainbow hedgehogs) I have the pattern.... Just need to learn how to sew....
Old Nov 13th 2013, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Flashbacks occuring to when a farmer's lad stood on my toe that had just had an ingrowing toenail removed- I was 14 at the time and we were standing in the coah waiting to get off when it lurched and he stomped on me. I nearly passed out with the pain.

Eddie, can you do a patchwork type bag??? You can sew that, and then all it needs is lining and piecing together - just like your quilts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.