Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How has your day been?

How has your day been?

Old Oct 22nd 2013, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How has your day been?

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Been threatened with statins. LDL of 4.2

So NOT going to take them. I have a month to reduce the 6.6 overall and high LDL through diet.

Bu++er- I'd just got in some jarlsberg and English Red Leicester cheese.

So...seeing as I'm GF and can't eat spicy stuff, brassicas, onions or garlic, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can actually eat??
Hi Caroline, there's lots of info out there with tips for improving your lipids profile, such as http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/he...s/default.aspx, also see section on fish oil and other oils, if you aren't taking supplements already. LDLs are usually up if an individual has too many foods containing high amounts of saturated fat, such as full-fat dairy, butter, skin on chicken, pork crackling and other fat on meat, takeaway foods). Usually, people are told to eat less of these foods and more veg and other foods containing fibre.

Are you GF because of CD? If so, can you tolerate oats? Do you avoid the other foods because of IBS? Or some other condition? What are the supplements the doctor has told you to take? If this is too personal, please pm me.

Apart from decreasing your LDL, what are your triglycerides (TGs) like? TGs might be up because of too many sugary foods and too much alcohol.

Some people find that changing the diet and using one of those margarines containing plant sterols helps - Logical, Flora Active and similar.

I have lowered my total cholesterol count before by cutting out cheese, butter, chocolate and red meat, so will do that again. I'll just add them to the list of things I am not allowed. I'd been eating more red meat to boost the iron as I am anemic- though only slightly now.
Lean red meat is OK and good for iron content. Other meats such as chicken have less iron so eating with a vitamin C-rich food helps to absorb it. See Heart Foundation page for info on eating oily fish, twice a week recommended.

My HDL is good at 2.0, it is just the LDL which has gone up. My cholesterol is normally about 5.4-5.8, so not too bad. My neurologist is prone to prescribing things!
Has your doctor told you that total cholesterol is OK for you at 5.4-5.8?

Your GP could draw up a care plan to include a dietitian, if you wanted, but it sounds as if you already have some experience with this.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bitzenpces
Hi Caroline, there's lots of info out there with tips for improving your lipids profile, such as http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/he...s/default.aspx, also see section on fish oil and other oils, if you aren't taking supplements already. LDLs are usually up if an individual has too many foods containing high amounts of saturated fat, such as full-fat dairy, butter, skin on chicken, pork crackling and other fat on meat, takeaway foods). Usually, people are told to eat less of these foods and more veg and other foods containing fibre.
I have been eating more cheese and chocolate than normal, and I believe that is what has done it- and OH does an excellent pork crackling.

Are you GF because of CD? If so, can you tolerate oats? Do you avoid the other foods because of IBS? Or some other condition? What are the supplements the doctor has told you to take? If this is too personal, please pm me.
I am gluten intolerant and have IBS- been scoped both ends and have some gut changes, though not typical of CD, though I have the gene for it and the gastrologist recommended the GF diet.Supplements are fish oil- I take 2000mg per day, bilberry and lutein for my eyesight as recommended by my opthalmic surgeon- had cataracts at 50 and my maculas are those of an 80 year old, vitamin D because of MS, and glucosamine/chondroitin because of arthritis/joint pain.

Apart from decreasing your LDL, what are your triglycerides (TGs) like? TGs might be up because of too many sugary foods and too much alcohol.
TG's are 0.8, so on the lower end of normal.

Some people find that changing the diet and using one of those margarines containing plant sterols helps - Logical, Flora Active and similar.
Already using Flora/Logicol as DD has high cholesterol too.

Lean red meat is OK and good for iron content. Other meats such as chicken have less iron so eating with a vitamin C-rich food helps to absorb it. See Heart Foundation page for info on eating oily fish, twice a week recommended.
Already eat fish- salmon and tuna, but not always twice a week.

Has your doctor told you that total cholesterol is OK for you at 5.4-5.8? Yes.

Your GP could draw up a care plan to include a dietitian, if you wanted, but it sounds as if you already have some experience with this.
I have a care plan for MS which already includes keeping tabs on the cholesterol levels.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Caroline, it sounds like you are doing a lot of good things with your diet and you exercise as well. I can't work out how to get your red text quoted, so hope you can follow this.

I fully understand the difficulties in abstaining from good cheese, chocolate and pork crackling. Most people can get away with occasional treats, but not everyone. Harder to ignore cheese now that there are so many more varieties available, such as the Leicester you mentioned and I've seen quite a few other British and French cheeses in the shops.

It's interesting that your endoscope did not confirm CD - had you been eating gluten-containing foods prior to the scope?

IBS - have you heard of FODMAPs? See http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/ and http://shepherdworks.com.au/disease-...ow-fodmap-diet.

If you can tolerate oats, they are good at mopping up cholesterol, as are other high fibre foods, you might be able to pick out a few from the FODMAPs websites and the National Heart Foundation http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/he...s/cereals.aspx.

I've heard a cardiologist talk on the radio about an alternative to statins, he is involved in marketing this product. His name is Dr Ross Walker, lots of webpages for him, plus see info on BergaMet http://bergamet.com.au/Dr-Ross-Walker.php. You would have to discuss with your doctors first, of course.

For some people, despite all their efforts, if there is a family history of high cholesterol and/or heart disease, going onto some medication may be necessary. Some GPs and other health professionals don't seem very aware of possible side-effects of statins, though, and it is good to be aware of them. Not everyone is affected, and research is being done, see recent article on University of Dundee research http://www.express.co.uk/news/health...y-side-effects.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I spent the morning at Breastscreen QLD. Contacted on monday after routine 2 year mammogram, told to come back 7.30 weds morning.

Panic, brain going OT, urgent call backs for anything medical usually mean serious. Tuesday mentally planning funeral, as you do in these situations

Arrived to find 5 other women, all looking very calm and collected, all older ladies, to be expected, age is a big factor. Lost of supportive husbands reading fishing/car magazines and generally looking lost.

Into white robe, and to their credit, the mammogram is right there on the computer, and I can see the offending white area straight away, about 1cm long, irregular outline, like a large huge grain of fluffy rice.

More mammograms, and they really need your boob flat, ouch, grin and bear anything to get answers.

Back to wait room,

Ultrasound, back to wait room

Physical exam, back to wait room

Women popping in and out the door, we are all taking our turn on the same path.

All the time fully informed, none of the 'we cant say', all straight answers.

All reports go to the Doctors, you wait, the wait room is actually comfortable, tea, coffee, decent chairs, TV on the morning show. A volunteer comes in and does cheese & saos, morning tea in that aussie CWA way. Nice touch for the older ladies, homely.

I get up to wander round, among the clinical buildings and airconditioning units, a pretty brush pergola pavilion thing, sits amid the utility of it all, I am thinking thats where you sit, if you get bad news, sit with the family digest it, I sit back down, make a cup of tea.

The door is opening again, a new Doctor, the one giving reports on our little roundabout of the last 2 hours. The woman ahead of me goes in, then goes up the corridor to another room...

The Doctor calls me, 'we are sending you home" the offending white blob is on the screen again, she shows me close up images of it in every format, its glandular tissue, nothing harmful. I am one of the 90% called back who go home.

I am not elated nor jumping up and down as you might expect, more quietly reflective/respectful that in that second I could also have been walking up the corridor for more tests/biopsy etc. As I walk out a lovely cheery rotund lady in a purple gown give me a wink and a thumbs up, I thumb back. I am the first of the morning to go free.

As i walk out, the intense heat burning into me, all I can wonder is which of the magic roundabout ladies will walk out soon, or much later.....

Grounding for sure.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I spent the morning at Breastscreen QLD. Contacted on monday after routine 2 year mammogram, told to come back 7.30 weds morning.

Panic, brain going OT, urgent call backs for anything medical usually mean serious. Tuesday mentally planning funeral, as you do in these situations

Arrived to find 5 other women, all looking very calm and collected, all older ladies, to be expected, age is a big factor. Lost of supportive husbands reading fishing/car magazines and generally looking lost.

Into white robe, and to their credit, the mammogram is right there on the computer, and I can see the offending white area straight away, about 1cm long, irregular outline, like a large huge grain of fluffy rice.

More mammograms, and they really need your boob flat, ouch, grin and bear anything to get answers.

Back to wait room,

All reports go to the Doctors, you wait, the wait room is actually comfortable, tea, coffee, decent chairs, TV on the morning show. A volunteer comes in and does cheese & saos, morning tea in that aussie CWA way. Nice touch for the older ladies, homely.

I get up to wander round, among the clinical buildings and airconditioning units, a pretty brush pergola pavilion thing, sits amid the utility of it all, I am thinking thats where you sit, if you get bad news, sit with the family digest it, I sit back down, make a cup of tea.

The door is opening again, a new Doctor, the one giving reports on our little roundabout of the last 2 hours. The woman ahead of me goes in, then goes up the corridor to another room...

The Doctor calls me, 'we are sending you home" the offending white blob is on the screen again, she shows me close up images of it in every format, its glandular tissue, nothing harmful. I am one of the 90% called back who go home.

I am not elated nor jumping up and down as you might expect, more quietly reflective/respectful that in that second I could also have been walking up the corridor for more tests/biopsy etc. As I walk out a lovely cheery rotund lady in a purple gown give me a wink and a thumbs up, I thumb back. I am the first of the morning to go free.

As i walk out, the intense heat burning into me, all I can wonder is which of the magic roundabout ladies will walk out soon, or much later.....

Grounding for sure.
That made for some teary reading.So pleased for you.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Great news and a very sobering thing to go through, try and avoid survivor guilt if you can though as that seems to be coming through a bit.

Now for the 'funny' Errm your not planning on doing anything uncharacteristically wild and wanton with your new lease on life per chance ?

Go celebrate
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 5:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Back to wait room,

Grounding for sure.
A scary couple of days - glad everything is okay but as you say, very grounding. How you feeling now?
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling very strange actually! It was a very weird 48 hours. I think it makes you very very aware of how your life can change in a heartbeat. You already know that but this makes you really really understand it.

Wildest thing I am doing tonight is cooking dinner and feeling how lucky I am to be doing that ordinary task! Life does go on, but I am feeling a need to re assess a few things as well. But we already have some major plans as last teen finishes school this year

However if it makes you feel one thing its "Do it now" . You really might get 'hit by a bus' (as they say) tomorrow.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Wildest thing I am doing tonight is cooking dinner and feeling how lucky I am to be doing that ordinary task! Life does go on, but I am feeling a need to re assess a few things as well. But we already have some major plans as last teen finishes school this year

However if it makes you feel one thing its "Do it now" . You really might get 'hit by a bus' (as they say) tomorrow.
I'm planning that time already, youngest turns 16 next year.... I think we will be doing a Red_V_Roger and touring Australian indefinitely until we get sick of it. Cant wait to have the burden of, no family help, child rearing responsbility, lifted of our shoulders for what will be then 34 years of child raising.

Good luck with your plans and actions
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling very strange actually! It was a very weird 48 hours. I think it makes you very very aware of how your life can change in a heartbeat. You already know that but this makes you really really understand it.

Glad you got the all clear. It isn't nice waiting to be told you are ok/not ok, and imagining the worst.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

EllBee has a spectacular aura aboutEllBee has a spectacular aura aboutEllBee has a spectacular aura about

Really glad everything is all clear, must be such a strange feeling but great sense of relief!

I have just booked yet another night in Agnes Water.... I am never going to leave this place!!
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:51 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent day - good appointment with specialist, he has stopped my injection and increased the other immune suppressant tablet I am on and I dont have to go back until the new year, he is really pleased with how things are going and so am I.

I drove so far out of my comfort zone today it really challenged my fear of driving but I did it and feel quite proud of myself.

All in all I am feeling very grateful for my health and well, just everything really.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:53 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 9:13 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Back to wait room,

Grounding for sure.
Well about 3 weeks ago I was in the exact same postion as you were, unfortunately my results were not good, my arse hasn't hit a seat in the last few weeks, after multiple biopsy, lymph node and tumour, ct scans. Bone scans, heart scans, ECG and more bloods you could shake a vampire e at and I finally start 26 weeks of chemo on Monday, followed by an op and then radiotherapy, then 5 years of tablets! I have to say the stAff at Breast Screen WA are fantastic and I cannot praise them enough for the help and support they have given me and how thoroughly they dealt with me. Please ladies get your boobs checked! It's free after you turn 40 and it could save your life!
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Well about 3 weeks ago I was in the exact same postion as you were, unfortunately my results were not good, my arse hasn't hit a seat in the last few weeks, after multiple biopsy, lymph node and tumour, ct scans. Bone scans, heart scans, ECG and more bloods you could shake a vampire e at and I finally start 26 weeks of chemo on Monday, followed by an op and then radiotherapy, then 5 years of tablets! I have to say the stAff at Breast Screen WA are fantastic and I cannot praise them enough for the help and support they have given me and how thoroughly they dealt with me. Please ladies get your boobs checked! It's free after you turn 40 and it could save your life!

That is awful, I am so sorry

In the UK they dont do mammograms until 50 (not sure if they have changed it) and my friend was diagnosed with BC at 41, she found the lump herself.

I am so grateful that here in WA they start at 40 and do them every 2 years, but so many women dont get them done. Some of the ladies I work with didnt even know you could go and get a mammogram done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.