Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How to get a fracture clinic appt - any advice from medical peeps?

How to get a fracture clinic appt - any advice from medical peeps?

Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:19 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to get a fracture clinic appt - any advice from medical peeps?

You could not make this up.

23 Dec - break leg in Port Macquarie.
Treated at PM base hospital... brilliant.
They ask me to come to their fracture clinic but I explain I'm on holiday.
So they arm me with every piece of paper, referrals etc to get into my own local hospital here.

I ring my hospital when I get back.
Own hospital says PM hospital have to ring them and ask if they'll take me.
PM hospital rings Nepean hospital.
PM rings me back, saying Nepean are 'unhelpful' and 'bolshy' on the phone.
I ring Nepean.
Nepean tell me the only way I can get an appt is to come to ED.

I arrive and spend half a day in ED, get plaster changed, go home.
ED give me envelope for next appt.
Ring number on card to find that Nepean have passed me off to Private ortho surgeon.
Can't get a date with him until 14th Feb... Happy Valentines day!
Plaster due to come off on 3rd Feb.

Ring Nepean back who tell me I must go and see this doctor who will decide whether my fracture is 'too complex' for them to deal with or not, even though it's a fractured fibula. Hardly rocket science.
Nepean say I must get private ortho doctor to give me a referral to get plaster off at Nepean.
Private ortho doc says he doesnt work like that.
Nepean staff now getting bolshy with me on phone.

Can't afford private... need to get back into public health care system.
Can anyone tell me what I should do?
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:55 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get a fracture clinic appt - any advice from medical peeps?

I would turn up at your local ED when the plaster is due to come off, shout and yell in pain and insist they take it off. Totally and utterly incompetent - this is unbelievable and I would be telling them that unless someone acts and quickly, you will be consulting a lawyer because as a hospital they are obliged to offer a duty of care, you have the documents, you have the referral so there is no excuse for them to do this to you.

In fact, I would ask for an initial free medical lawyer now so you know where you stand. Failing that, I would get the press involved.

Annabel, I broke my fibula and went to a hospital near me - the nurse looked at the xray and said 'It all looks fine' and that I didnt need to see the doctor. She said my tendons were 'crunching'

Several weeks later after walking on it in agony, and my toes going black, I went to another hospital who xrayed it and diagnosed a fractured fib and wondered how the nurse missed it and why she never got a doctor to look at it anyway?

Make noise, do not settle for this because the only person that will pay for their incompetence is you.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom

So they arm me with every piece of paper, referrals etc to get into my own local hospital here.

I ring Nepean.

Ring number on card to find that Nepean have passed me off to Private ortho surgeon.

Ring Nepean back who tell me I must go and see this doctor who will decide whether my fracture is 'too complex' for them to deal with or not, even though it's a fractured fibula. Hardly rocket science.
Nepean say I must get private ortho doctor to give me a referral to get plaster off at Nepean.

See your GP who can write a referral to the Fracture Clinic. Alternately your GP can call the hospital and ask to speak to the orthopaedic registrar on call for consults for that day. If the GP sends through the x-ray report the registrar can look at it and let him/her know pretty much right away whether it can be done at the hospital or if you would need to go elsewhere.

Do NOT take bolshy crap from the staff. They're the clinic clerks, not medical staff. If they start ring the hospital customer liaison department and they will sort things out. Part of my job is doing the leg work when dealing with complaints from patients and their families about our clinic or secretaries. Trust me, nobody wants to get hauled into the HOD's office for a reaming because they gave a patient a hard time.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:29 am

Thanks Cheetah!
I'm caught in their stupid bureaucratic stupidity and it's not fun.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy
See your GP who can write a referral to the Fracture Clinic. Alternately your GP can call the hospital and ask to speak to the orthopaedic registrar on call for consults for that day. If the GP sends through the x-ray report the registrar can look at it and let him/her know pretty much right away whether it can be done at the hospital or if you would need to go elsewhere.
I HAVE a GP referral from my own GP!!!!
The hospital told me that it was INVALID because I was 'out of area' when I broke my leg...
I saw the registrar in ED. They took xrays of my leg there and then so they've seen the break!
They fobbed me off with the private guy because they don't want to pay for it. It's some stupid hospital policy.

Do NOT take bolshy crap from the staff. They're the clinic clerks, not medical staff. If they start ring the hospital customer liaison department and they will sort things out. Part of my job is doing the leg work when dealing with complaints from patients and their families about our clinic or secretaries. Trust me, nobody wants to get hauled into the HOD's office for a reaming because they gave a patient a hard time.
There's a customer liaison department? How do I find out how to get in touch with them? Thank you Dorothy!
And you're right, the staff are now pissed off with me because of the amount of times I've rung. I keep getting the same woman in outpatients and I'm SURE she remembers me. I get the feeling she's just doing it to spite me.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 8:40 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

The hospital told me that it was INVALID because I was 'out of area' when I broke my leg...
I saw the registrar in ED. They took xrays of my leg there and then so they've seen the break!
They fobbed me off with the private guy because they don't want to pay for it. It's some stupid hospital policy.

There's a customer liaison department? How do I find out how to get in touch with them? Thank you Dorothy!
And you're right, the staff are now pissed off with me because of the amount of times I've rung. I keep getting the same woman in outpatients and I'm SURE she remembers me. I get the feeling she's just doing it to spite me.
Every hospital should have a Dorothy I reckon, she would put the cocky clerks in their place, especially that woman who is being horrible to you.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

They fobbed me off with the private guy because they don't want to pay for it. It's some stupid hospital policy..
Did your GP phone the orthopaedic registrar or did you only see the ED reg? Get your GP to phone the ortho guy direct.

Here you go.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

I ring Nepean.

Has your personal injury claim been notified to the apartment complex's insurers? Maybe your solicitor can see if the insurers will agree to pay for you to see a surgeon privately. Sometimes insurers will agree to pay for rehabilitation - may be worth a shot?
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly your mistake was breaking your leg in the wrong location. Try and be more considerate next time

Seriously, good luck
Old Jan 26th 2012, 5:07 am

Did your GP phone the orthopaedic registrar or did you only see the ED reg? Get your GP to phone the ortho guy direct.
Ok, back to the GP then. Fark, I'm seriously going round in circles.

Originally Posted by Bonnie65
Has your personal injury claim been notified to the apartment complex's insurers? Maybe your solicitor can see if the insurers will agree to pay for you to see a surgeon privately. Sometimes insurers will agree to pay for rehabilitation - may be worth a shot?
That's a good idea but honestly, I want these people to give me the appt. They cannot FORCE me to go private. They just can't. And I'm not bowing down to their ridiculous rules.

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Clearly your mistake was breaking your leg in the wrong location. Try and be more considerate next time

Seriously, good luck
That's absolutely it. Stupid and inconsiderate. Thank you.

If I can't get an appt by Wed of this week I'm considering radical action...

I thought I'd email my local mp, the mp for health, and the leader of the opposition, all the hospital peeps, and invite them to watch as I stream the removal of my cast at home, over the internet...
As for the removal of the screws, that's just a bit of a cut and some work with a Phillip's head screwdriver, right?
How hard can it be?
Old Jan 26th 2012, 5:34 am
Still alive

If I can't get an appt by Wed of this week I'm considering radical action...

I thought I'd email my local mp, the mp for health, and the leader of the opposition, all the hospital peeps, and invite them to watch as I stream the removal of my cast at home, over the internet...
As for the removal of the screws, that's just a bit of a cut and some work with a Phillip's head screwdriver, right?
How hard can it be?
If patient liaison can't or won't help I would suggest the minister for health. Ministerial complaints are dealt with as very high priority (at least in our hospital) and we're expected to give an answer to the complaint right away.

I would also consider letting the MP's offices know you will be contacting the media - and do it. Get in touch with the newspapers, TV and Today Tonight/Current Affair. The tabloid shows love your kind of story.

I know when we had a complaint with a state government department last year it was being ignored until I told them we had an appointment to discuss the issue with The West (newspaper) and Today Tonight. Suddenly we became high priority and our complaint was settled within a few days. Channel 9 was very interested in our story when I contacted them. Fortunately we didn't have to resort to tabloid TV, but would have if we needed to.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 6:20 am

If patient liaison can't or won't help I would suggest the minister for health. Ministerial complaints are dealt with as very high priority (at least in our hospital) and we're expected to give an answer to the complaint right away.

I would also consider letting the MP's offices know you will be contacting the media - and do it. Get in touch with the newspapers, TV and Today Tonight/Current Affair. The tabloid shows love your kind of story.

I know when we had a complaint with a state government department last year it was being ignored until I told them we had an appointment to discuss the issue with The West (newspaper) and Today Tonight. Suddenly we became high priority and our complaint was settled within a few days. Channel 9 was very interested in our story when I contacted them. Fortunately we didn't have to resort to tabloid TV, but would have if we needed to.
Thanks Dorothy.

Love your work.

These clerical people think they've heard the last of me. Silly.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 6:23 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dorothy.

Love your work.

These clerical people think they've heard the last of me. Silly.
Can't believe the faff you've had!!

But if you need someone to do your screw removal, my rates are very reasonable!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Can't believe the faff you've had!!

But if you need someone to do your screw removal, my rates are very reasonable!
Cheers matey. They're only through two bones. Few Cosmopolitans and I'm sure it'll be a breeze.

I bet the entire nation will tune in. We'll get Paris to big it up...
It could be awesome.

Then we'll post it on youtube... let's call it...Dreamy's DIY surgery...
Old Jan 26th 2012, 6:30 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers matey. They're only through two bones. Few Cosmopolitans and I'm sure it'll be a breeze.

I bet the entire nation will tune in. We'll get Paris to big it up...
It could be awesome.

Then we'll post it on youtube... let's call it...Dreamy's DIY surgery...
DON'T TELL PARIS!!!

He'll only want to wee on it, or something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.