British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   How do you heat aussie homes in winter? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/how-do-you-heat-aussie-homes-winter-627259/)

dodge26 Aug 24th 2009 12:54 pm

How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

Heard that the weather in Perth has been a little bit on the cold side this winter. was wondering as the homes generally don't have a central heating system. What do you use to heat the homes during the winter?

Sally Simpson Aug 24th 2009 1:04 pm

Re: How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

Fires, woodburners, hot water bottles!

Peepster Aug 24th 2009 1:10 pm

Can I interest you in a Snuggie? Maroon, mint condition :rofl:

Sally Simpson Aug 24th 2009 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Peepster (Post 7871043)

You still trying to get rid of that P?:eek::lol:

irishbloo Aug 24th 2009 1:20 pm

I have always wanted a woodburner and didnt get one till we moved to Perth.I wouldnt be with out it.It takes two minutes to light the fire when we come in.I have a heater in my sons bedroom that helps with his asthma.Other than that we wear socks and jumpers to keep warm.Cant complain.:thumbsup:

fairwayskid Aug 24th 2009 1:21 pm

Hey Peeps

You must have a lifetimes supply of them:lol:

Paddy :thumbup:

scottishcelts Aug 24th 2009 1:28 pm

:rofl:

scottishcelts Aug 24th 2009 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by dodge26 (Post 7870969)
Heard that the weather in Perth has been a little bit on the cold side this winter. was wondering as the homes generally don't have a central heating system. What do you use to heat the homes during the winter?

Lots of morning/evening glory.

Cheetah7 Aug 24th 2009 1:33 pm

SJ Oldfield on BE very kindly lent me her gas fire for the winter.

Its been brilliant and made a huge difference to us so we will look to buy one for next year.

Our gas bill has been $133 for this recent one, the fire has been on constantly so that is quite reasonable.

Dont underestimate how cold it gets here, you could hang your coats on your nipples here in the winter.

scottishcelts Aug 24th 2009 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7871102)

Dont underestimate how cold it gets here, you could hang your coats on your nipples here in the winter.

:rofl::thumbup:

irishbloo Aug 24th 2009 1:37 pm

you must be rich if you can afford a coat.:D

Cheetah7 Aug 24th 2009 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by irishbloo (Post 7871125)

you must be rich if you can afford a coat.:D

Well it is from Target - one of their posh ones:p

Nipples like chappel hat pegs as my Mum used to say. Actually you could anchor your boat to them, tie the dog up, use them as a door bell - the list is endless.:lol:

lapin_windstar Aug 24th 2009 2:39 pm

I'm surprised it's that cold over in Perth - we had the heating on for two evenings this whole winter here in NSW. My Aussie cousins used to sleep outside on the verandah year-round when they grew up poor, and that wasn't uncommon. Do you get cold sea air from the south or something?

Cheetah7 Aug 24th 2009 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 7871227)
I'm surprised it's that cold over in Perth - we had the heating on for two evenings this whole winter here in NSW. My Aussie cousins used to sleep outside on the verandah year-round when they grew up poor, and that wasn't uncommon. Do you get cold sea air from the south or something?

God knows where it comes from but its cold.

:confused:

livinginreality Aug 24th 2009 4:11 pm

Well I used to live in the Adelaide hills 10 years ago and it used to get very very cold.Down to 5c some days!We had a woodburner,and during winter would pretty much be on 24/7.Talking of which,does anyone know how much a tonne of redgum is these days?Alot of people just have a central gas fire in the loungeroom,and huddle around that!;)