Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How do we keep the tiles in the shower free from grime ?

How do we keep the tiles in the shower free from grime ?

Old Aug 8th 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

blackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: How do we keep the tiles in the shower free from grime ?

Just put bleach in a spray bottle, spray from top to bottom, leave for about an hour, then rinse off, use it everyday until grout is clean, shouldn`t take too long, then use Shower Sparkle if your in Australia,the last one in the shower sprays the shower. The shower should then stay clean, if not then your dirty bug----

Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:20 pm
BBQ-KING

BBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How do we keep the tiles in the shower free from grime ?

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
A problem that many have I am sure, but is there a specific product that any of you have used that will keep the tiles, and more to the point the grout completely free from grime, in the shower, its starting to look a little brown, despite constant cleaning. People have said pool acid does a good job, but that seems a little dangerous as it is so strong. I appreciate we could use shower gel instead of soap and this would almost cure the problem, but we prefer soap.

Cheers if you have any advice
Hang on, I'll just ask the wife!! She's good at these things
BBQ-KING
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:03 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

ok tried and tested yesterday,

I was using that clit bang stuff or whatever it's called here, you know orange and purple bottle...the phone rang as I was in the middle of cleaning, when I returned it had lifted all the grime, off wall and floor tiles!!!

Too easy
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:58 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Give Phil and Nige a call. Grime won't crack itself!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:06 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for the replies, only tried the bi-carb and white vinegar so far, with mixed results, it has worked to some extent, but hasnt restored grout to the colour it was at first. Any more replies more than welcome.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

The Stevenses will become famous soon enoughThe Stevenses will become famous soon enough

I found the Ajax Professional mould remover is brilliant in the shower, especially on the grout when it starts to go a bit brown and it really did clean the mould off too.

Have found all the Ajax Professional products (in the purple trigger spray bottles) really good, their kitchen degreaser works well too

J
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:32 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
My sister keeps a little broom (you know the one's that come with dustpan) and everytime she showers, she throws some domestos on her tiles and grout and scrubs with the little broom. Her shower is always spotless - no she doesn't have a life, but she has a clean house.
Mmmm i think she needs to go see a man in a white coat, lay down on his sofa and have a serious talk
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:20 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

A problem that many have I am sure, but is there a specific product that any of you have used that will keep the tiles, and more to the point the grout completely free from grime, in the shower, its starting to look a little brown, despite constant cleaning. People have said pool acid does a good job, but that seems a little dangerous as it is so strong. I appreciate we could use shower gel instead of soap and this would almost cure the problem, but we prefer soap.

Cheers if you have any advice
TOP TIP!! Nail Varnish remover (needs to be the one that contains acetone) used on the orange staining on grouting works well-if you apply liberally to a cotton wool pad and rub hard you can see the orange come off onto the pad It also works on those black scuff marks you get on walls.

To get the scum off the tiles themselves a paste made of salt and white vinegar scrubbed in til the surface feels smooth.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:16 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the replies, only tried the bi-carb and white vinegar so far, with mixed results, it has worked to some extent, but hasnt restored grout to the colour it was at first. Any more replies more than welcome.
To get the grout back to new i reckon Hydrochloric Acid is the only way to go.

Take precautions though, gloves mask etc
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:34 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

As Poppett said in post #5: buy a bottle of methylated spirit (in Woollies in the same aisle as domestos, harpic and all other domestic cleaning products). Then use a sponge for the tiles and a toothbrush for the grouting.

Works a treat on floor tiles as well. Our tenancy agreement actually specifies that we clean the floor tiles with methylated spirit. I had never heard of it and was sceptical. But really works a treat.

Gina
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:11 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
...Our tenancy agreement actually specifies that we clean the floor tiles with methylated spirit....
Gina
Your landlord sounds even more anal than mine; he told me exactly what floor mop to buy. (If he'd insisted I used chemicals, I wouldn't have signed up.)
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:14 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
As Poppett said in post #5: buy a bottle of methylated spirit (in Woollies in the same aisle as domestos, harpic and all other domestic cleaning products). Then use a sponge for the tiles and a toothbrush for the grouting.

Works a treat on floor tiles as well. Our tenancy agreement actually specifies that we clean the floor tiles with methylated spirit. I had never heard of it and was sceptical. But really works a treat.

Gina
What an aweful waste of good acohol
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Cloudy Ammonia from Coles $1.54. Also the only thing to get the smoke off the inside of a Slow combustion heater window.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Simple. Get a cleaner!
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:38 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blackcountrygirl
Just put bleach in a spray bottle, spray from top to bottom, leave for about an hour, then rinse off, use it everyday until grout is clean, shouldn`t take too long, then use Shower Sparkle if your in Australia,the last one in the shower sprays the shower. The shower should then stay clean, if not then your dirty bug----

thats what I do once a week...and leave the door open a little bit so the shower dries quicker and mould wont grow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.