Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How do we keep the tiles in the shower free from grime ?

How do we keep the tiles in the shower free from grime ?

Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:40 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Question How do we keep the tiles in the shower free from grime ?

A problem that many have I am sure, but is there a specific product that any of you have used that will keep the tiles, and more to the point the grout completely free from grime, in the shower, its starting to look a little brown, despite constant cleaning. People have said pool acid does a good job, but that seems a little dangerous as it is so strong. I appreciate we could use shower gel instead of soap and this would almost cure the problem, but we prefer soap.

Cheers if you have any advice
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:45 am
Account Closed

DinkyDi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do we keep the tiles in the shower free from grime ?

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
A problem that many have I am sure, but is there a specific product that any of you have used that will keep the tiles, and more to the point the grout completely free from grime, in the shower, its starting to look a little brown, despite constant cleaning. People have said pool acid does a good job, but that seems a little dangerous as it is so strong. I appreciate we could use shower gel instead of soap and this would almost cure the problem, but we prefer soap.

Sprinkle with bicarb,then spritz with white vinegar,let it fizz then scrub off.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

White vinegar.

http://www.safersolutions.org.au/ind...199&Itemid=114
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:54 am

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DinkyDi
seconded but make it into a paste first, press onto grout and leave for a few hours.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

Scrub the grout with an old toothbrush dipped in meths, leave for a few minutes and then rinse,,viola! works a treat on all grout and has brought our rental floor tiles up a treat, the grout looks brand new!
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:12 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, I was about to ask this, as we've got 18 bathrooms to look after...

However it says mold......and I think the OP and myself want to know if it's good for grime?
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:14 am

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by welshviking
WOW, I was about to ask this, as we've got 18 bathrooms to look after...

However it says mold......and I think the OP and myself want to know if it's good for grime?
yes, lemon juice if that doesnt work. Gets rid of all the soap scum and water marks on the glass too.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:23 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleopatra
yes, lemon juice if that doesnt work. Gets rid of all the soap scum and water marks on the glass too.
OK will give it a try
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:55 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Seal the grout before using for the first time, if you can. It takes ages, painting round each tile, but it does work.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

My sister keeps a little broom (you know the one's that come with dustpan) and everytime she showers, she throws some domestos on her tiles and grout and scrubs with the little broom. Her shower is always spotless - no she doesn't have a life, but she has a clean house.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Exit mould is good for mould and grime. You don't have to scrub either, but it is a bit toxic - so open the windows.

T
Old Aug 8th 2008, 10:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine stay pretty damn clean with a spray of that shower clean after each shower. Whilst it's all wet, spray it all over, the water is pulled away and any soap scum slides happily down the drain.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Mine stay pretty damn clean with a spray of that shower clean after each shower. Whilst it's all wet, spray it all over, the water is pulled away and any soap scum slides happily down the drain.
I agree.

Otherwise use Magic Sponges ($2.00 for a pack of 4) from Bunnings. They happily clean grout.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

Originally Posted by DinkyDi
ditto, thats what i use.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 2:17 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Seal the grout before using for the first time, if you can. It takes ages, painting round each tile, but it does work.
From a tilers point of view I'd recommend, on new builds or reno work, using a grout with microban added. Most of the newer grouts contain some fungicide microban seems to be the best. As Wol says use a sealer it does help, Sureseal comes in a spray can & can be applied over the tiles so no painting around each tile just hit the whole wall.
As for cleaning already dirty tiles & mouldy grout the best product for all round use is white vinegar. DON'T add bicarb as it's an alkali & only neutralise's the acetic acid properties of the vinegar. If that won't shift the mould or soap scum we use a product available from builders merchants called TR40 it's a professional grout & tile cleaner, strong acid so be careful & make sure the room is well ventilated if you use it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.