British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   How do we keep the tiles in the shower free from grime ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/how-do-we-keep-tiles-shower-free-grime-553958/)

CadburysFingers Aug 8th 2008 6:40 am

How do we keep the tiles in the shower free from grime ?

A problem that many have I am sure, but is there a specific product that any of you have used that will keep the tiles, and more to the point the grout completely free from grime, in the shower, its starting to look a little brown, despite constant cleaning. People have said pool acid does a good job, but that seems a little dangerous as it is so strong. I appreciate we could use shower gel instead of soap and this would almost cure the problem, but we prefer soap.

Cheers if you have any advice

DinkyDi Aug 8th 2008 6:45 am

Re: How do we keep the tiles in the shower free from grime ?

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers (Post 6657843)
A problem that many have I am sure, but is there a specific product that any of you have used that will keep the tiles, and more to the point the grout completely free from grime, in the shower, its starting to look a little brown, despite constant cleaning. People have said pool acid does a good job, but that seems a little dangerous as it is so strong. I appreciate we could use shower gel instead of soap and this would almost cure the problem, but we prefer soap.

Sprinkle with bicarb,then spritz with white vinegar,let it fizz then scrub off.

spartacus Aug 8th 2008 6:46 am

White vinegar.

http://www.safersolutions.org.au/ind...199&Itemid=114

Cleopatra Aug 8th 2008 6:54 am

Originally Posted by DinkyDi (Post 6657854)

seconded but make it into a paste first, press onto grout and leave for a few hours.

Poppett44 Aug 8th 2008 7:08 am

Scrub the grout with an old toothbrush dipped in meths, leave for a few minutes and then rinse,,viola! works a treat on all grout and has brought our rental floor tiles up a treat, the grout looks brand new!

welshviking Aug 8th 2008 7:12 am

WOW, I was about to ask this, as we've got 18 bathrooms to look after...

However it says mold......and I think the OP and myself want to know if it's good for grime?

Cleopatra Aug 8th 2008 7:14 am

Originally Posted by welshviking (Post 6657915)
WOW, I was about to ask this, as we've got 18 bathrooms to look after...

However it says mold......and I think the OP and myself want to know if it's good for grime?

yes, lemon juice if that doesnt work. Gets rid of all the soap scum and water marks on the glass too.

welshviking Aug 8th 2008 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Cleopatra (Post 6657920)
yes, lemon juice if that doesnt work. Gets rid of all the soap scum and water marks on the glass too.

OK will give it a try

Wol Aug 8th 2008 7:55 am

Seal the grout before using for the first time, if you can. It takes ages, painting round each tile, but it does work.

Kim67 Aug 8th 2008 8:14 am

My sister keeps a little broom (you know the one's that come with dustpan) and everytime she showers, she throws some domestos on her tiles and grout and scrubs with the little broom. Her shower is always spotless - no she doesn't have a life, but she has a clean house.

Ozzy dog Aug 8th 2008 8:22 am

Exit mould is good for mould and grime. You don't have to scrub either, but it is a bit toxic - so open the windows.:blink:

T

moneypenny20 Aug 8th 2008 10:21 am

Mine stay pretty damn clean with a spray of that shower clean after each shower. Whilst it's all wet, spray it all over, the water is pulled away and any soap scum slides happily down the drain.

lesleys Aug 8th 2008 10:44 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 6658364)
Mine stay pretty damn clean with a spray of that shower clean after each shower. Whilst it's all wet, spray it all over, the water is pulled away and any soap scum slides happily down the drain.

I agree.

Otherwise use Magic Sponges ($2.00 for a pack of 4) from Bunnings. They happily clean grout.

confuzzled Aug 8th 2008 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by DinkyDi (Post 6657854)

ditto, thats what i use.

cresta57 Aug 8th 2008 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 6657989)
Seal the grout before using for the first time, if you can. It takes ages, painting round each tile, but it does work.

From a tilers point of view I'd recommend, on new builds or reno work, using a grout with microban added. Most of the newer grouts contain some fungicide microban seems to be the best. As Wol says use a sealer it does help, Sureseal comes in a spray can & can be applied over the tiles so no painting around each tile just hit the whole wall.
As for cleaning already dirty tiles & mouldy grout the best product for all round use is white vinegar. DON'T add bicarb as it's an alkali & only neutralise's the acetic acid properties of the vinegar. If that won't shift the mould or soap scum we use a product available from builders merchants called TR40 it's a professional grout & tile cleaner, strong acid so be careful & make sure the room is well ventilated if you use it.