Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

how do I watch you tube videos without them pausing all the time?

how do I watch you tube videos without them pausing all the time?

Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do I watch you tube videos without them pausing all the time?

Originally Posted by Streaks
Hello, if you're getting 270 speed I think that's good as you've only signed up for 256 (I think that's right?) so I've just been told by Bigpond! I have just rung them as we are having on going problems with my connection, I have been told we have a 'noisy line' aswell which means that somewhere along the line there is probably something that isn't plugged into a filter. We have foxtel and now think that is causing our problems so I have to get another filter box to plug that into. We have the same 256/64 plan aswell but I'm going to upgrade that to 1500 which is an extra $10 a month but have been promised it will be 4-5 times faster (I have the same problems trying to watch youtube clips) hope this helps
S xx
That helps tremendously, thank you.
Bells started to ring in my head when you explained what could be the cause of the ''noisy line'' as when we use one particular phone in our house (we have 3 handsets) it cuts me off my internet connection we have found recently, much like dial up would. It is also literally a ''noisy line'' when talking on it too - often have to change to another handset mid conversation. Will have to fix that up and put a filter on to see if it makes a difference. I really haven't thought much about it until now - have considered calling Telstra but wanted to avoid tests and cutting me off my internet altogether at the moment, as often seems to happen to me if any sort of checks are made to our phone system.
Thanks also for the info on the upgraded plan - for an extra $10 a month (2 or 3 beers worth maybe ) it is worth it to me.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:35 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kitty4
Bells started to ring in my head when you explained what could be the cause of the ''noisy line'' as when we use one particular phone in our house (we have 3 handsets) it cuts me off my internet connection we have found recently, much like dial up would. It is also literally a ''noisy line'' when talking on it too - often have to change to another handset mid conversation. Will have to fix that up and put a filter on to see if it makes a difference. I really haven't thought much about it until now - have considered calling Telstra but wanted to avoid tests and cutting me off my internet altogether at the moment, as often seems to happen to me if any sort of checks are made to our phone system.
Thanks also for the info on the upgraded plan - for an extra $10 a month (2 or 3 beers worth maybe ) it is worth it to me.
Happy to have helped. Regarding the filter, it is an absolute necessity that you install one on every extension OTHER than the connection to your dsl modem/router.

The DSL signal is simply encoded onto your normal phone line and what the filter does is to stop this signal interfering with your other analogue devices so , yes, you need filters in place on all your phones and or faxes you may have. Just make sure you DON'T filter the connection to your modem.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:39 am

My plan says I am subscribed to (12GB) 256/64

So I'm assuming the 270 kbs speed I'm getting isn't a good deal then?
I didn't even know they still did the basic 256/64 plans anymore !
Well that explains your results then.
You are getting as a good a download as you could possibly wish for on that basis.

Just so you realise, on dialup, your measured download speed would only be approx 48kbps, so even though your existing economy broadband connection feels slow, it is actually about 6 times faster than dialup.

Funny how quickly you can forget how slooooowww dialup was, eh ;-)

Last edited by @boy; Feb 4th 2008 at 7:26 am.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:52 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Could be worth getting an accelerator, rather than upgrading... if your moving soon
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:03 am

It appears you are paying $59.95 a month for your existing 256/64 (capped after 12Gb) plan with Bigpond.
You could upgrade for another 10 bucks alright to their 1500/256 plan but that is EXPENSIVE !

There are a large number ISPs that will give you between 10Gb and 15Gb on a 1500/256 plan for the 59.95 that you are already paying.

There are several that will offer this for less.

For example, I am on the Home-1500-Power10 plan with Internode
1500/256 kbps with 10Gb for $54.95
http://www.internode.on.net/resident..._adsl/pricing/

TPG also offfer an excellent equivalent for just $49.95, their Medium 1500/18GB plan
http://www.tpg.com.au/products_servi...icing.php#adsl

So my advice......definately DON'T upgrade, but definately DO churn away from Bigpond !

Last edited by @boy; Feb 4th 2008 at 8:05 am.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by @boy
It appears you are paying $59.95 a month for your existing 256/64 (capped after 12Gb) plan with Bigpond.
You could upgrade for another 10 bucks alright to their 1500/256 plan but that is EXPENSIVE !

There are a large number ISPs that will give you between 10Gb and 15Gb on a 1500/256 plan for the 59.95 that you are already paying.

There are several that will offer this for less.

For example, I am on the Home-1500-Power10 plan with Internode
1500/256 kbps with 10Gb for $54.95
http://www.internode.on.net/resident..._adsl/pricing/

TPG also offfer an excellent equivalent for just $49.95, their Medium 1500/18GB plan
http://www.tpg.com.au/products_servi...icing.php#adsl

So my advice......definately DON'T upgrade, but definately DO churn away from Bigpond !
Thanks very much for that info.

I hadn't heard of these companies but have been hearing that Bigpond isn't a great deal so will not upgrade with them - will look into changing provider - just worried that I will lose my internet connection for several weeks in the process as has happended to me before.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:01 pm

Thanks very much for that info.

I hadn't heard of these companies but have been hearing that Bigpond isn't a great deal so will not upgrade with them - will look into changing provider - just worried that I will lose my internet connection for several weeks in the process as has happended to me before.
Trust me on this. You won't lose your connectivity for more than a few hours if you have an existing ADSL connection and you follow the standard 'churn' process. It honestly is dead simple and hassle free.

For Internode
http://www.internode.on.net/resident...adsl/transfer/

For TPG
http://www.tpg.com.au/products_servi...n_transfer.php
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

MrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant future

Important to note that your d/l speed is not a function of who you are with, but rather what plan you have subscribed to (depending on what you want to pay)

The original poster has confirmed her d/l speed is only approx 270kbps.
You have confirmed yours is 8mbps (i.e. 32 times faster !)

The original poster is on a basic 512kb download plan, whereas you appear to be on a DSL2+ 8Mb plan.
Are right, so hes on a dial up connection, well understandably his connection is slow, hes sharing a PStn Line thats spilt now with voice / Broadband.

this cannot be speeded up.... so my advice

get broadband

p.s where does it say in the first post, hes on dial up?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:36 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell - you're all talking gobbledegook

and nobody has answered my question
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

MrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kapri

ok firstly for your own piece of mind click this link http://http://www.speedtest.net/

it tests your internet connection, so say you are paying for up 2 8 meg for your broadband,and your getting only 2, this is plain bullshit, and you should contact your isp.. allthough havin a girfriend who works for BT diagnostics, they will say um, its the usage of others thats slwoing your speed, this is bull to a degree, you lose perhaos a meg at most due to "flooding" so make sure your crack it with them if your gettin a shit download speed.

now to you, u didnt ask a question did ?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by MrRivaz
Are right, so hes on a dial up connection, well understandably his connection is slow, hes sharing a PStn Line thats spilt now with voice / Broadband.

this cannot be speeded up.... so my advice

get broadband

p.s where does it say in the first post, hes on dial up?
err... they didn't ;-)
Their words : "Makes me wonder why I pay for high speed broadband - mine takes ages to connect and is little faster than dial up"

Dialup was only broght into the discussion to give them a comparative understanding.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

err... they didn't ;-)
Their words : "Makes me wonder why I pay for high speed broadband - mine takes ages to connect and is little faster than dial up"

Dialup was only broght into the discussion to give them a comparative understanding.
understood
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:51 pm

I believe your question has been answered in a separate thread Kapri.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=youtube
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:54 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone tell me how I put youtube clips on here so that the tv screen is there so people can see what the link is?
When I do it it's just a written link
(If that makes sense? )
Originally Posted by MrRivaz
now to you, u didnt ask a question did ?
I did
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

I did
are sorry, im sure this website hasnt the bandwidth to allow youtube videos to be shown on the page, what your gettin is a hyperlink, so that people can click and be directed to the video which will then be viewd from you tubes site

rather than this one

so the answer i think is no u can

but others may disagree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.