Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How do I justify wanting to pingpong back to oz?

How do I justify wanting to pingpong back to oz?

Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:04 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I justify wanting to pingpong back to oz?

Sorry to hear about your situation Lucy. You've got yourself in to a bit a quandary haven't you?

I agree with MP. Tell your husband everything you said in your post. You've been a bit of a thr'penny-bit about this so let's hope he can forgive you.

Lastly and most importantly...

YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR MOTHER'S LIFE.

My Mother is not as bad but similar. I haven't got time for all those whingy guilt-trips. Your duty is to your yourself and your family (husband and kids, not parents and siblings).

Good luck,

Ian
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:09 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody mothers - no pleasing some of them. We live about 10km from mine and currently me and the missus are working flat out on respective businesses. The other day she had a hissy fit because we hadn't been round to see her! Never occurs to the selfish old bag to get that mountainous arse of hers off the now permanently deformed couch and pay us the occasional visit instead. **** 'em I say.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Bloody mothers - no pleasing some of them. We live about 10km from mine and currently me and the missus are working flat out on respective businesses. The other day she had a hissy fit because we hadn't been round to see her! Never occurs to the selfish old bag to get that mountainous arse of hers off the now permanently deformed couch and pay us the occasional visit instead. **** 'em I say.
I'd rather not, if it's all the same to you. The thought has just made my husband choke on his beer
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

max kilby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lucy71
Hello!

I want to return to Australia but how can I justify it to my partner / family / friends when I was the one who pushed for us to move back to the UK?

Have I got rose tinted glasses on about Australia now I'm back?

I returned to the Uk in March this year after three and a half years in Melbourne with my partner and baby. I really struggled dealing with being out there to start with but slowly I fell in love with Melbourne and loved living there, although I did compare it a fair bit to the UK and moan like a whinging pom (!) about it as well a fair bit!

I had a lot of emotional pressure to deal with from my mum right from the start which never let up and when I had my baby it got a lot worse... So, in a nutshell I felt guilty about being out there and pushed to come back.

My OH didn't want to come back, even though he wasn't totally happy in Melbourne he didn't want to come back to the UK. It's hard to understand if you haven't got a mum like this, I love my mum very much but it's hard work dealing with someone who knows how to flick your guilt switches on !

I think I had rose tinted glasses on about England though and they've pretty much come off since we've been back. This isn't due to the media just my perceptions of what life is like back here.

My memories of the UK in oz were:

spending quality time with family (came back to lots of family drama's so not good quality time spent so far!)
hot summer days (ha! that sure hasn't happened this year!)
great supermarkets (this is true, much better than Coles etc)
europe on your doorstep ( BUT not so accessible with a baby for weekend breaks, barely get time off to go to hairdressers!)
lovely christmases (looking forward to christmas this year v. much!)
etc etc etc
Seeing friends (this is good, but they don't seem to want to know anything about our life in Melbourne!)

When I was in oz, I whinged on about the heat in summer, flies, supermarkets, quality of childrens clothing, tv, christmas not the same, feeling homesick, missing family and friends of course...

My OH keeps asking me why do I want to return to oz if all I did was moan about it when I was there! How do I reply to that?

I didn't moan all the time mind you, I actually enjoyed it most of the time and had a good life out there with some great friends which I miss very much. I just felt under immense emotional pressure to come back... I didn't tell my OH about the guilt trips/sad letters from my mum saying how Christmas would never be the same with me not there any more/ texts asking me when am I coming back/phonecalls with her crying down the phone because I felt embarassed by her behaviour. I wish I had now, it might have made a difference...

My reasons for wanting to move back are:

I think my baby would have a much better life out there generally, great playgrounds, outdoor areas etc, schooling not so rigid in terms of SATS etc.
Weather better (makes SUCH a difference to how you feel. Winter in Melbourne is like summer in the UK!)
Good friends.
Love the outdoors lifestyle, being outdoors in general. Find it hard being stuck indoors for days on end when it's raining
Daily living feels a lot more relaxed and easier somehow. Of course you've got to do the same old stuff that you do in England on a day to day basis but the pace of life seems more relaxed somehow.
Eating out, cafes much better, miss having breakfast out! (superficial thing I know but it really makes a difference!)
Better quality of life in general.

I'm finding it really hard to settle back into life here. I'm really trying and have a list of positives about being back here on my bedroom cupboard door but I miss my life in Melbourne too!

I think I took a lot of it for granted when I was out there, especially with having a good support network of aussie friends. I feel like I've made such a big mistake to come back and if I can't convince my OH that it would be a good idea to move back I guess I'll just have to deal with it because I'm the one who's put us back here.

We've got the passports so moving back is an option...it's just whether my OH would consider it or not...

If we did move back it would kill my mum, but I'm not going to let it put me off this time. Might sound selfish I know but we have to do what's best for us as a family now, even though I think it will break her heart. (I'm one of three and she has two grandchildren who live locally to her but she lives for us rather than for herself if that makes any sense...)

My OH has said that he thinks we might move back to oz in a year or two but I think he's only saying that because we're in a state of limbo at the moment (currently living in my dad's house in an area where we don't know anyone) and not enjoying being back very much.

I'm so interested to read about other ping pongers on this forum, makes me feel like not such a "grass is greener on the other side" sort of person!

So, it's hard to justify why I'd like to move back to oz when I was the one who pushed to come back here, I was wondering if anyone else on here has had a similar experience?

Lucy
A sad tale indeed. And expensive. And you're beating yourself up about it.

You need to sit down with your sig other and explain. Depends on your relationship though printing the letter and letting them read it seems easy you may not want to do it that way - unless you are present for questions which will arrise.

Whatever you decide you must be sure that it is right for you all otherwise there will be "I told you so" occasions later.

Good luck whatever you decide - at least in the UK you are missing a cold and damp winter over here!

Cheers,

MAX
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Location: herts-sydney-herts-manchester...next stop mornington peninsula?
mandoz will become famous soon enoughmandoz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by max kilby
Good luck whatever you decide - at least in the UK you are missing a cold and damp winter over here!
EH? No we 'are' experiencing your cold and damp winter

Does that make you feel better?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

i'm sorry if i sounded as though I had some magic answer for those of you who wanted a pm as well.it was just that i could relate to the original posters post and was telling her about our experiences but didn't want to post it all on here as it is still a bit raw for us and i don't want some one posting on here and giving me a load of grief about it as i have seen happen to some others who have posted from the heart.
I hope you can understand that,it sounds a bit confusing when I read it back.
the only advice i can offer anyone going thru this is( and i think this has already been mentioned)is to keep talking thru it with OH and family but don't let parents or any one else use emotional blackmail on you.If they do this they aren't playing fair and only thinking of themselves and not what is best for you.
i never realised there were so many people in this situation but it can be sorted, just keep working at it and good luck to you all, its taken us two long hard years to reach our goal and we've still got to start all over again when we get back to aus. but we all feel much more positive this time and are clearer about what we are going to and leaving and probably have much more realistic expectations.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Babsw
i'm sorry if i sounded as though I had some magic answer for those of you who wanted a pm as well.it was just that i could relate to the original posters post and was telling her about our experiences but didn't want to post it all on here as it is still a bit raw for us and i don't want some one posting on here and giving me a load of grief about it as i have seen happen to some others who have posted from the heart.
I hope you can understand that,it sounds a bit confusing when I read it back.
the only advice i can offer anyone going thru this is( and i think this has already been mentioned)is to keep talking thru it with OH and family but don't let parents or any one else use emotional blackmail on you.If they do this they aren't playing fair and only thinking of themselves and not what is best for you.
i never realised there were so many people in this situation but it can be sorted, just keep working at it and good luck to you all, its taken us two long hard years to reach our goal and we've still got to start all over again when we get back to aus. but we all feel much more positive this time and are clearer about what we are going to and leaving and probably have much more realistic expectations.
Hi babsw- sorry if I made you think...I thought you had the magic answer.

Eh? Ok now Im confusing myself.

I wasnt sure where those of you that were saying they would pm were, i.e thought you may already be back in aus.

I may start a thread asking for those who have already gone back to share how they are getting on now.

I do sometimes wonder if family are 'part' of the reason in some cases for going in to oz in the first place, as well as the reason for coming back.

Anyway...meant to ask have people given you a hard time about wanting to go back again. Why?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:19 pm
KRD
Just Joined

KRD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, my Partner and I are in the same boat lived in Brisbane for over a year decided to return home for several reasons better wages in UK better shops TV, family and friends etc. Been back here about 18 months now and things have just not been going good for us, I shall not bore with details, but we have decided to go back also. I would just like to find out of other people who have done this and how they found it second time round. Good original post can completely relate to it!!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

yes there are lots of us, all came back for different reasons, but all going back for same reason!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts on the whole ping ponging is that some people have to do it once or twice (as in my case) to know exactly where you really do want to be.

Thats it in a nutshell.

Its an expensive way of knowing, but thats just the way it is.

Some lucky people settle straight away and I take my hat off to them all, but some...it takes a bit longer.

My thoughts anyway.

LibbyX
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

All though I'm sure we are doing the right thing in going back I do still panic that all the reasons we moved back from aus might still be there and that we may never be able to settle again?
I think in my saner moments that this is natural and just concern for my family but my OH when i told him what i was worrying about now,has said that we are going back to make it work what ever, as he pointed out we have to for our children's sake as we can't just keep dragging them backwards and forwards so that also makes me feel better.In a way it decides the problem for us. Also we are going for a visit this time before we go for good to get a feel of the place ( we leave tomorrow!!) so we are all looking forward to that, it willl give us time to have a nosy round without the panic ogf finding accomodation, schools etc etc .
We've lost so much money already with moving about that some more isn't going to make a big diff. now but will help us all a lot ( our priorities have changed, family before money...)
We are hoping to move for good this Oct. so will def. post to let everyone know how we are finding it then but will give an update when we come back from hol as well to let you know of initial impressions ,feelings etc.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

All though I'm sure we are doing the right thing in going back I do still panic that all the reasons we moved back from aus might still be there and that we may never be able to settle again?
I think in my saner moments that this is natural and just concern for my family but my OH when i told him what i was worrying about now,has said that we are going back to make it work what ever, as he pointed out we have to for our children's sake as we can't just keep dragging them backwards and forwards so that also makes me feel better.In a way it decides the problem for us. Also we are going for a visit this time before we go for good to get a feel of the place ( we leave tomorrow!!) so we are all looking forward to that, it willl give us time to have a nosy round without the panic ogf finding accomodation, schools etc etc .
We've lost so much money already with moving about that some more isn't going to make a big diff. now but will help us all a lot ( our priorities have changed, family before money...)
We are hoping to move for good this Oct. so will def. post to let everyone know how we are finding it then but will give an update when we come back from hol as well to let you know of initial impressions ,feelings etc.

That would be great babs. Where are you heading to? Have you decided where you will live in oz this time?

How long have you been back in the uk?

We have been back three years this month. I figure we have given it our best shot here but if we are still hankering after australia???
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:06 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Problem is you can't live in both countries at the same time. What one country offers, the other can't. Now you know what it's like living in both, the problem has arised.
Which ever country you choose, there will always be something missing, it's just what we have to live with when emigrating.
As for your mother, she is obviously hurting, but bribery is not the way. My mother misses me terribly, but she never interferes with our choices in life.

Good luck.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice

Hi Lucy,

I'm not sure that I agree about the letter to your hubs as suggested by previous well meaning posters. Simply because your hubs already knows how you feel, and also that he's not ready to go back to Australia himself at the moment, so in essence you'll be blackmailing him almost in the same way as your mother blackmailed you. Please don't think I'm having a pop at you, I'm not, I really feel for you in your situation.

However, Australia is a looooong way away, and everything you've outlined in your OP that you miss about Australia, sun, sand sea, eating out cheaply, breakfast in the cafe in the sun, relaxed atmosphere, chilled out lifestyle, is all available much closer to home...ie Spain , or even Italy or the South of France, with the added advantage of being only a 2 hour flight from ''home'' so you can travel back and forth at will on very cheap flights. Your children would be bilingual by the time they were knee high, and if the thought of learning a new language scares you & hubs, there's no need, there's a massive expat populace here who would help with everything 'till you're settled and learned as much as you're happy with.

We've also got the added advantage of great culture, fab mountains flora & fauna, great colourful daily street markets where we buy almost everything, easy & cheap travel throughout Spain, and ease of travel between all the European countries, it's not necessary to fly, you can just drive from Spain to Italy, France etc.

Just thought I'd plant the seed of consideration in your mind, might be worth thinking about, you could do a lot worse than to come on over here, and you'd still get everything you had in Australia with the added advantage of being close enough to your mother without having her in your hair.

Good luck & I wish you & yours success whatever you decide!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to hearing how you holiday goes. I think its a great idea to do that if you can. Now that a clairvoyant has told me my move is 2 years away a holiday in Brisbane might be a good idea!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.