Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How did you sell your stuff?

Wikiposts

How did you sell your stuff?

Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

lucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud of
Default How did you sell your stuff?

Hello!

In an attempt to make a little dosh and declutter I'm going to try and sell some of our excess stuff...

Never sold things on ebay, had a garge sale before so would love some tips from those who have sold their stuff.

How did you do it?
What did you find sold the easiest?
Any tips on how to use Ebay to sell effectively?

Thanks in advance
Lucy
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:06 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How did you sell your stuff?

Originally Posted by lucy71
Hello!

In an attempt to make a little dosh and declutter I'm going to try and sell some of our excess stuff...

Never sold things on ebay, had a garge sale before so would love some tips from those who have sold their stuff.

How did you do it?
What did you find sold the easiest?
Any tips on how to use Ebay to sell effectively?

Thanks in advance
Lucy
In England I would sell via ebay... over here, Garage sales seem to be the way forward...

Em x
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:04 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

In the US, several car boot sales and several open house sales. In the UK, free ads in local freebie papers and several carboot sales, plus ads in newsagents' windows. All quite effective.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Used eBay, car boot sales and off loaded a lot of stuff to friends and family at very discounted prices!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

Kayelem is an unknown quantity at this point

I use ebay. tried ads in local paper and supermarket. Put collect only on ebay for big items. We had loads of people watching my son's high sleeper bed and it went in 2 days of being on ebay. Search first to get an idea of how much others are selling similar things for. I am selling my daughters very large collection of vintage My Little ponies and so far have made £300, I am gob smacked, one apparently was rare and sold for £58!! she paid 10p for it from a car boot sale.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:25 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How did you sell your stuff?

Ebay for the larger items - buyer collects.

Smaller items lined up on display for the buyers collecting the larger items to have a look at!

People even tried to buy stuff we were throwing away.

Buzzy
Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Ebay for the larger items - buyer collects.

Smaller items lined up on display for the buyers collecting the larger items to have a look at!

People even tried to buy stuff we were throwing away.

Buzzy
I had a car boot with curious results for all the lesser items like books and sports equipment. The hardened professionals who arrive at these places when you set up were all round me like flies round shit as I was trying to get it all out of the car. As a result, I lost out on pounds just to f**k them off as they were getting in the way. One bloke was particularly interested in this wary, scary-looking diving knife. "How much". We agreed on 30GBP and he walked off with it with a funny 1000 yard stare on his face. All he was missing was a bag and a set of plasticuffs which I was not able to sell him.

I also gave way a video series dirt cheap to a boy who 'only had 15 quid' despite his clearly monied-mother standing next to him. Still - going to a good home.

It was a great laugh - I made a bit of cash. The thrill! The ladies next to me were impressed - they had only shifted 1 baby fleece all morning. My stuff was good stuff. I had notes hanging out of my pockets and gold coins wearing holes. My father arrived unexpectedly and took it all of me. (Maybe he thought I'd lose it all on the way home.)
Old Jan 30th 2010, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

martin83 will become famous soon enough

I advertised our white goods on a local Free website (gumtree) and had them sold within 48 hours, and for a good price.. Alot of our stuff was "bitty" and best to get rid of at a car boot sale really..

It did feel very good to de-clutter though.

The money i've made it going toward shipping the stuff we do want to keep.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

snurse42 is an unknown quantity at this point

We use ebay for all of ours. We find it goes better if it has a finishing date at the weekend and also good pictures make a difference. It can be tempting to finish the auction early if someone makes an offer but if you can hold out until the end. Good luck
Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:45 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Ebay for me both in the UK and here