Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

how did you pick your estate agents?

how did you pick your estate agents?

Old Jul 31st 2007, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all
Question how did you pick your estate agents?

Got to the stage where we need to put the house on the market. Have spent the last 6 weeks painting decluttering etc etc. Threatening kids with bodily harm if they draw on the walls rip of new wall paper etc. That they are not to touch any paint ( last time we where selling they found 5 lts of blue emulsion and smeared it over walls, carpets and curtains in 2 rooms. They themselves looked like 2 little extras from brave heart!)
Have had 3 valuations done, all very similar and all charging the same and now have to decide who to go with. How did you pick your estate agents and did it work for you?! Help
Thanks
Old Jul 31st 2007, 2:19 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how did you pick your estate agents?

I'd normally go with the sexiest

Or failing that the one with the most prominent office location and best advertising. You can always say you'll give them 3 weeks sole agency and then you're switching to multi to give them an extra incentive.

Have you logged onto their individual websites to see how many properties each has sold recently?
Old Jul 31st 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JoolsB
I'd normally go with the sexiest

Or failing that the one with the most prominent office location and best advertising. You can always say you'll give them 3 weeks sole agency and then you're switching to multi to give them an extra incentive.

Have you logged onto their individual websites to see how many properties each has sold recently?
Have yet to meet a sexy estate agent. (sorry any sexy agents on BE!!)
They are located in the same area and have sold a similar amount, 2 of them have sold in our road recently!! Just really confused now.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 2:48 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

the one with the prettiest colour board?

how about a test -email each of them with a really daft question and instruct the one who gets back to you first with the most helpful answer?
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

dinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nice

We picked the one that seemed most interested in the house, seems to have worked as we had loads of viewings and two offers within the first couple of weeks. Good luck.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dinky2
We picked the one that seemed most interested in the house, seems to have worked as we had loads of viewings and two offers within the first couple of weeks. Good luck.
We went for the ones that came across the most professional, but friendly at the same time. They were the most expensive, but it evened out in the end, as they 'got us' more than the other two agents anyway. Sold in 3 weeks, although the buyers were one of the first to view (had to sell their place)

It was Haart btw.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

AAAAArggggggg. Still can't decide 2 of them are really friendly enthusiastic etc. I know if we get the right agent it can make all the difference to getting a decent sale at the right price. going to have to toss a coin soon.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

graz79 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can have ours. House has been on the market for 2 weeks. No advert in any local papers, no advert on there own website because and i quote
"Computers don't always work as you expect don't you know"

Phoned him this morning and got told he had got one viewing...we know, her daughter has bought the house at the bottom of the road and she was having a nosey..

:curse::curse::curse:
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by graz79
You can have ours. House has been on the market for 2 weeks. No advert in any local papers, no advert on there own website because and i quote
"Computers don't always work as you expect don't you know"

Phoned him this morning and got told he had got one viewing...we know, her daughter has bought the house at the bottom of the road and she was having a nosey..

:curse::curse::curse:
I'd dump your agent if i were you. (no i dont want them but thanks for the offer!!!) Its so difficult to know who to trust as they all seem so enthusiastic when they come round and say they have plenty of potential buyers on there books, who then vanish into the wood work when you actually sign on with them. Oh b****r still dont know what to do and have to make my mind up soon.:curse::curse::curse:
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by black cat
Got to the stage where we need to put the house on the market. Have spent the last 6 weeks painting decluttering etc etc. Threatening kids with bodily harm if they draw on the walls rip of new wall paper etc. That they are not to touch any paint ( last time we where selling they found 5 lts of blue emulsion and smeared it over walls, carpets and curtains in 2 rooms. They themselves looked like 2 little extras from brave heart!)
Have had 3 valuations done, all very similar and all charging the same and now have to decide who to go with. How did you pick your estate agents and did it work for you?! Help
Thanks
I really think that they are all the same!! there are 5 different ones in our town and they all advertise in the same local rag and have similar offices etc.... so unless theres a big difference in what they charge i'd just toss that proverbial coin and sign with them Go for it !!!!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jerzo
I really think that they are all the same!! there are 5 different ones in our town and they all advertise in the same local rag and have similar offices etc.... so unless theres a big difference in what they charge i'd just toss that proverbial coin and sign with them Go for it !!!!
Right thats it have picked one, they are coming round in the morning to do all the measurements and take the photos!! Shame they can't come today as now i have the rest of the day and evenong to worry whether i have made the right decision!!!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of

Right thats it have picked one, they are coming round in the morning to do all the measurements and take the photos!! Shame they can't come today as now i have the rest of the day and evenong to worry whether i have made the right decision!!!
You'll be fine

Welcome to the Stressed world of 'house selling'!! :curse::curse:

Hope it goes quickly x
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

::
Originally Posted by jerzo
You'll be fine

Welcome to the Stressed world of 'house selling'!! :curse::curse:

Hope it goes quickly x
It making me feel a tad sick at the moment!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

::
It making me feel a tad sick at the moment!
I know but hope it all goes well tomorrow and the kids don't suffer too much!!!! (don't touch,don't move /sit/eat on it!!) poor things

I think we should be more like the aussies as in the photos of the houses on the web-sites are really awful sooo laid back, or lazy
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Storm in to the office saying that you are not happy and you demand to see the manager NOW. The one where the manager is available and happy to talk to you is the one you go with! That way you know that you won't spend the next six months chasing your tail and leaving messages everywhere and being ignored. Test them by leaving messages too and see if they ring you back.
And then get EVERYTHING they promise you in WRITING. Perhaps invest in a cheap dictaphone and record it all - tell them it's for your own records as you aren't very good at remembering details.
Whatever else you do, never ever trust them! Always think the worst and you won't be disappointed. (That is not a philosophy for life, btw, just for EAs!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.