Wikiposts

How did you chose??

Old Oct 26th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: How did you chose??

Originally Posted by Winglet66
Our Reccie was a visit to friends. In the tropical Far North of Queensland. The Atherton Tablelands to be exact.

We had been to Sydney, Perth, and Brissie plus a few places in-between.

Didn't want to be in a city personally. After leaving the crowded UK couldn't see the point of heading into another crowded city and rat run in suburbia.

We wanted good (warm) weather for most of the year and an area with NO WATER RESTRICTIONS

This region has it all, Cairns and the beaches, Mountains, tropical rain forests, the barrier reef, the dry dusty outback all within an hour.

Cairns is a great airport with Direct flights to Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong all about 7 hrs away. This northern gateway is two hours + closer to the rest of the world

No time shift to speak of - this close to the equator (Latitude 16 degrees south) there is only about 20 mins difference between Sunrise and Sunset all year - which is great for the old body clock.

So when you weigh up what an area can offer it's not all just about work, the more expensive place you put yourself, the more work you'll have to do to pay for it. I have traded a high paying job for quality of life - N QLD has it all, don't make a decision until you've been up here.

I'm now a Human being - Not a human doing!

Fabulous post, that is excatly what i want for my life. to spend time with the children and stop working 20 hours a day 7 days a week building at work and coming home and building a two storey side and back extension with no bloody help.
Want to go to work, part time and the wife work part time and then take my son to the beach before he spends all day at school and we dont get to know each other.

good quote at the end of your post. Just what i intend to be.

Kev
Old Oct 26th 2007, 10:54 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you chose??

Originally Posted by Nickie And Kev
We decided on Perth because after intense research on internet etc..... let me live in oblivion!
Sorry Nicky - but I love that quote!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 11:47 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Sorry Nicky - but I love that quote!
Me too, spookily accurate
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Then there are the morons that parrot out blantant untruths like 'you can't get a beer after 9pm on Wednesday' ... ah well, if it keeps THEM away ...
Fish and chip shops shut at 7:30pm !! Its true . Couldn't believe it...

Anyway, me and the Mrs met and worked in Melbourne for a few months. Then returned to Melbourne a few years later, then spent time in Sydney, and finally got married in Cairns.

So when we migrated here we moved to Brisbane, a city we had never visited.

I suppose the logic was, if Brisbane sucked, we could move to Melbourne.

JTL
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:50 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Fish and chip shops shut at 7:30pm !! Its true . Couldn't believe it...

Anyway, me and the Mrs met and worked in Melbourne for a few months. Then returned to Melbourne a few years later, then spent time in Sydney, and finally got married in Cairns.

So when we migrated here we moved to Brisbane, a city we had never visited.

I suppose the logic was, if Brisbane sucked, we could move to Melbourne.

JTL
Yup, nothing wrong with being well travelled and trying new stuff, there are no points to be gained for staying in one place. It is amusing the rubbish that people will spout, especially when they have never visited a place let alone tried to live and work there.

My OH has just come back from Melbourne (and Adelaide) actually, she loves it there too but she's a Brisbane girl at heart so I'm happy to put down some roots here ... yeh ... those roots.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 12:11 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Is that a big thumb I see over your head

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
And, as is becoming tediously (but strangely comfortingly) clear over the years, she IS always right.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 12:14 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

It was a choice between Adelaide and Brisbane because they where both cheap

Brisbane came out on top because I looked on the map and was further North so therefore must be warmer.

Looking back the amount of research we did was incredible (not).
But we had not kids back then so figured if you didn't like Brisbane we could try another city.

Originally Posted by Nickie And Kev
How did everyone decide on which part of australia to settle in??
Old Oct 27th 2007, 12:47 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themerlin
Is that a big thumb I see over your head
Hey, I've got a Dyson ... it's a big boy's toy