Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How big is 8 GigaBytes

How big is 8 GigaBytes

Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

eve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to all
Default Re: How big is 8 GigaBytes

Originally Posted by Steve G
The size doesn't matter - it's what you do with the 8 gigabytes that matters!!!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

eve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stevenglish
As this seems to be a bit of a techy thread, and I am desparate for acceptance into the modern era, can anyone help me with my ZX81, I'm having trouble with my cassette deck loading up the terradactyl game
Uh!!!!!

The Oh says he cant help you with terradactyl on yer zx thingy majig but he has got manic miner!!!! apprently you fossils know about these things!

eve
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eve209
Uh!!!!!

The Oh says he cant help you with terradactyl on yer zx thingy majig but he has got manic miner!!!! apprently you fossils know about these things!

eve
Why I ought to wheel myself round there and give you a piece of my mind
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

he he
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:52 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Physically I mean, what size would you expect an 8 gigabyte memory chip to be. Bearing in mind 8 gigabytes is enough to hold about 12 or 13 dvds on it. And enough to hold a couple of 100,000 books.

I ordered one for my phone, once I discovered I could download tv content onto my phone from the internet. I couldn't believe they could cram 8 GB into a phone

So really how big do you think the chip is? I just received it.

(obviously I didn't post this on 'The Lab' because 100 geeks would know the answer!)

JTL
20mm x10mm x 1mm..........................mm
Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember when everyone was raging about the 2G Barracuda.

Now I've got about 1T of disk storage on my home PCs.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NigelWaring
Samsung announced a 64 GB SD Card about three weeks ago, haven't seen one or the price yet.

The following is an IBM 5 Mbyte hard drive from about 40 years ago, the cost was in millions.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22.../harddrive.jpg
Alright its this big:

About the size of your small finger nail, and the thickness of 2 sheets of paper.

I must be getting old cos I was seriously stunned to see this little speck of plastic which is hardly big enough to write the letters 8GB on, and it stores 8 GB.

They even have to supply an adaptor, to make it BIG enough to fit my phone.

Why can't they stick 50 of these tiny things in a PC and get rid of hard drives?

JTL
Attached Thumbnails How big is 8 GigaBytes-img_0042.jpg  

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jun 13th 2008 at 11:49 am.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought:

In 1993 I bought my first IBM compatible PC with a whopping 4Megabytes of memory. When I opened it up, it had 4 1 Megabyte memory chips each about the size you would expect, i.e. about 2cm long 1cm wide and 0.5cm thick.

Now fifteen years later, a sliver of plastic, less than 100th that size holds over 8000 times more data.

So if you do the maths, memory chip design has improved by 800,000% in 15 years.

Forget Moores Law, thats f'ing unbelievable.

JTL
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Alright its this big:

About the size of your small finger nail, and the thickness of 2 sheets of paper.

I must be getting old cos I was seriously stunned to see this little speck of plastic which is hardly big enough to write the letters 8GB on, and it stores 8 GB.

They even have to supply an adaptor, to make it BIG enough to fit my phone.

Why can't they stick 50 of these tiny things in a PC and get rid of hard drives?

JTL
Bear in mind, the actual chip itself [called a die] is smaller than the card itself - the rest of the size of the card is the interconnects to the outside of the plastic case. I think they've reached the near limit on how small they can package it as a) Its EASY to lose and b) The cards are approaching the point where you cannot make them accurately sized AND small.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

1) MMC cards transfer data WAY slower than hard disks.
2) Still more expensive per GB than hard disks.

'Solid state' [ie memory chips] disk storage is available now and expensive, but the price of that is going to come crashing down over time.

Thus endeth the geek lesson !

p.s. I've got a complete GPS receiver in my electronics 'bit box' that is SMALLER than a stamp in size.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:49 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
1) MMC cards transfer data WAY slower than hard disks.
2) Still more expensive per GB than hard disks.

'Solid state' [ie memory chips] disk storage is available now and expensive, but the price of that is going to come crashing down over time.

Thus endeth the geek lesson !

p.s. I've got a complete GPS receiver in my electronics 'bit box' that is SMALLER than a stamp in size.

just a quicky guys whats the size of a normal film in Gig?
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
just a quicky guys whats the size of a normal film in Gig?
A DVD can hold 4.7GBs. So if a movie, and all the extra stuff that comes on the dvd can fit on it, then a 'normal' movie would be about 3 gigs.

Of course, if you compress it using mpeg4 or similar compression, you could fit it into 1 Gb. The quality would drop slightly, but not 3 times as much.

JTL
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:18 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

But if you were to compress it to mpeg4 would it still be watchable on a dvd player?
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
But if you were to compress it to mpeg4 would it still be watchable on a dvd player?
Yes, the latest ones play mpeg4. By 'latest' I mean anything newer than about 2006. Just read the specifications of the player carefully. Most newish players do.

Another popular format is Divx. I'm realy impressed with it, the quality is almost perfect.

(and for those geeks, yes I know is just an avi wrapping format)

On a side note, I download ABC programmes to my PC, they are about 50 MB downloads for a 30 minute programme. I then convert them to 3gp format, which makes them 5MB size, and then copy them to my phone, so I can watch them on the train... and freak out other passengers that see I'm watching last nights tv on an ancient mobile phone! (hence the 8Gb card for the phone thread)

JTL
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:39 pm
Loving it in SA

I am off to bed right now but will PM you moro asking more tech stuff.

Cheers mate.

KOH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.