Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How "Australian" do you feel.

View Poll Results: How Australian do you actually feel.
0-2 - Not in the slighest and almost certain I never will
36.84%
3-5 - Didn't at all, but some Australian feelings are coming through.g to occur
10.53%
5-7: The UK (Or whereever) is starting to feel like a distant memory "Mate"
34.21%
8-10: Strewth mate was I ever anything else?
18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

How "Australian" do you feel.

Old Jul 24th 2020, 6:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How "Australian" do you feel.

Originally Posted by the troubadour
But surely going with the flow while most probably ensuring survival (or at the least making life more easier) in very macho dominated roles and increasingly those in office type environments, in actuality it refers to 'keeping quiet' thus suppressing dissent and allowing fear in various shades to too often dictate a working environment. A reason why so many mistakes are evident in management in performing so badly. I suppose a lot depends on the job title one finds oneself in and the time of duration in Australia.

I can only speak for myself, but preconceptions do not feature much of a part on my own story, although without doubt they do on others.
you're overthinking this i think. If i buy a Mazda 2 seater convertible, I can't really complain to Mazda that I can't fit my wife, 2 kids and dog plus luggage for a 2 week camping holiday in it. At the very least you buy something you think should be fit for purpose, if it turns out not to be, you learn a lesson and try something else. To quote Jack Nicholson "the less you give a **** the happier you'll be" words to live by
Old Jul 24th 2020, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
you're overthinking this i think. If i buy a Mazda 2 seater convertible, I can't really complain to Mazda that I can't fit my wife, 2 kids and dog plus luggage for a 2 week camping holiday in it. At the very least you buy something you think should be fit for purpose, if it turns out not to be, you learn a lesson and try something else. To quote Jack Nicholson "the less you give a **** the happier you'll be" words to live by
But I expect like me Jack does give a XXXX. It's in part how he got rich and in the position he is. There a time to separate from the herd and be fearless to speaking out. It obviously may not always fall the way preferred, but it can make a difference. Nothing to do with 'overthinking it' ,
but it is certainly not being docile and accepting for the sake of it.

But hey, I have already accepted we are different and approach things differently. I guess it's part of our make up and personality. Just as standing for beliefs and speaking out as well as being able to defend and articulate them. To believe in nothing ,which not giving a 4XXXX is , to my thinking sounds incredibly shallow . It's not about things, those are easily changed to suit but the sort of emotional intelligence, is not in possession of can be exceedingly difficult to acquire.

You may well think this as pompous claptrap. To me it just underlines the different conclusions arrived at by considering the same theme. Most likely it points to how different folk thrive in differing environments with not a lot of rom to maneuver.

Last edited by the troubadour; Jul 24th 2020 at 7:31 am.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 7:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

But I expect like me Jack does give a XXXX. It's in part how he got rich and in the position he is. There a time to separate from the herd and be fearless to speaking out. It obviously may not always fall the way preferred, but it can make a difference. Nothing to do with 'overthinking it' ,

But hey, I have already accepted we are different and approach things differently. I guess it's part of our make up and personality. Just as standing for beliefs and speaking out as well as being able to defend and articulate them. To believe in nothing ,which not giving a 4XXXX is , to my thinking sounds incredibly shallow . It's not about things, those are easily changed to suit but the sort of emotional intelligence, is not in possession of can be exceedingly difficult to acquire.

You may well think this as pompous claptrap. To me it just underlines the different conclusions arrived at by considering the same theme. Most likely it points to how different folk thrive in differing environments with not a lot of rom to maneuver.
Agree with SE1 - you're overthinking it

Chill
Old Jul 24th 2020, 8:27 am
Account Closed

no not shallow, realistic enough not to worry about things outside my control. No one who spent their life trying to change the world was ever happy, i change what is within my control, and I'm happy with that.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Jul 24th 2020 at 8:34 am.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Agree with SE1 - you're overthinking it

Chill
A little 'thought' wouldn't go astray on your part. come to think of it, Mr (One Liner) Cool.

Old Jul 24th 2020, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

no not shallow, realistic enough not to worry about things outside my control. No one who spent their life trying to change the world was ever happy, i change what is within my control, and I'm happy with that.
I think we are on totally different wave lengths and never shall the twain meet. I don't disagree with the above. It's not about changing. No idea where you come to that conclusion if that is the case about what I have written. It's about standing by beliefs
and not going with the flow. It is about making your voice heard in a sea of ignorance It's about preferring to be around people with an interest in life(interesting people) and are articulate enough to provoke thought and interest. Otherwise we may as well be cows
munching in a field.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Retirednow
You have confirmed my previous post. Word salad silliness.
Whoa, cowpoke. I'll find you a spur and see how you ride bareback. If you can't cope with the words of your mother tongue,
then not a lot of hope for you I'm afraid.
If you don't like my comments, there is no compulsion to respond. My comments are purely my own sentiments into
'How Australian I feel' and as such, fluck all to you to warrant be termed 'a tosser' by the likes of you.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 10:54 am
Account Closed

I think we are on totally different wave lengths and never shall the twain meet. I don't disagree with the above. It's not about changing. No idea where you come to that conclusion if that is the case about what I have written. It's about standing by beliefs
and not going with the flow. It is about making your voice heard in a sea of ignorance It's about preferring to be around people with an interest in life(interesting people) and are articulate enough to provoke thought and interest. Otherwise we may as well be cows
munching in a field.
I prefer just to accept people for what they are, however they articulate. Pretty much everyone is interesting if you delve beneath the surface, but that takes a bit of patience and a willingness not to judge at face value. I've got friends that are as thick as two short planks, and lovely people. I have friends that are borderline genius, and lovely people. I focus on their personality and kindness, their intelligence plays no part in it.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa, cowpoke. I'll find you a spur and see how you ride bareback. If you can't cope with the words of your mother tongue,
then not a lot of hope for you I'm afraid.
If you don't like my comments, there is no compulsion to respond. My comments are purely my own sentiments into
'How Australian I feel' and as such, fluck all to you to warrant be termed 'a tosser' by the likes of you.
Tosser confirmed
Old Jul 25th 2020, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

But surely going with the flow while most probably ensuring survival (or at the least making life more easier) in very macho dominated roles and increasingly those in office type environments, in actuality it refers to 'keeping quiet' thus suppressing dissent and allowing fear in various shades to too often dictate a working environment. A reason why so many mistakes are evident in management in performing so badly. I suppose a lot depends on the job title one finds oneself in and the time of duration in Australia.

I can only speak for myself, but preconceptions do not feature much of a part on my own story, although without doubt they do on others.
Is macho bad management an Australian thing? I think not. Macho might be a Perth thing. I do find the engineering side of things quite macho in Perth compared to other parts of Australia and the world. But that's not a bad thing. It's direct. No wishy washy rubbish. A spade is a spade.

Bad management exists all over the world. Seen plenty of bad managers in the UK and Australia. Have worked with plenty of bad managers who live in India or the US.

It's down to You to play the politics if you are trying to climb the corporate tree.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tosser confirmed
Wear it with a badge of honour coming from the likes of you 'old timer', but still between you and me and most thinking adults,
we all know who the 'genuine article' tosser is on this thread. Take a bow pal.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Is macho bad management an Australian thing? I think not. Macho might be a Perth thing. I do find the engineering side of things quite macho in Perth compared to other parts of Australia and the world. But that's not a bad thing. It's direct. No wishy washy rubbish. A spade is a spade.

Bad management exists all over the world. Seen plenty of bad managers in the UK and Australia. Have worked with plenty of bad managers who live in India or the US.

It's down to You to play the politics if you are trying to climb the corporate tree.
Actually if you get down to the nitty gritty it is far removed from a spade. By calling it as such doesn't make it so, I'm afraid. You really should be aware of countries like Germany and Netherlands that really call a spade a bloody shovel and see how many would cope in such environments. No climbing the corporate ladder either. More a case of looking after mates, with corruption galore. But there is a macho side too often expressed by the very top of management just because of the power they wield and influence.
If ordinary folk heard some of the comments expressed , egalitarian notions would go out the window. Incompetency in too many cases comes to mind. As for engineering, I know quite a few. Neighbour across road in fact, and they give a very poor account of what has happened within the profession, and want out and retrain to be a doctor. While others complain the 'industry' is over subscribed by incomers . But all this is well removed from the original sentiments of feelings with regards to being Australian.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I prefer just to accept people for what they are, however they articulate. Pretty much everyone is interesting if you delve beneath the surface, but that takes a bit of patience and a willingness not to judge at face value. I've got friends that are as thick as two short planks, and lovely people. I have friends that are borderline genius, and lovely people. I focus on their personality and kindness, their intelligence plays no part in it.
Again I am not denying what you say. But we remain on differing approaches to the topic of discussion. Poles apart most likely. It is not even about thickness. the same way. . Individuals are not being discussed here, but feelings of how Australian one feels. The lack of what i refer to as 'emotional intelligence' being my point. As i wrote the subject has drifted into territory totally unintended, if not totally unexpected by me.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Wear it with a badge of honour coming from the likes of you 'old timer', but still between you and me and most thinking adults,
we all know who the 'genuine article' tosser is on this thread. Take a bow pal.
You’re still a failure. Most here aren’t
Old Jul 26th 2020, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You’re still a failure. Most here aren’t
I guess you must wonder what it was all about? You know reaching an certain age and coming out with such cringe worthy one liners.
That and an inability to properly converse in what i assume is mother tongue.
Sounds to me 'old timer' like you are reflecting own less than successful outcomes at the game of life . A trite sad, but most likely only self to blame.
Never mind articulation not everybody's forte. As clearly isn't yours. Probably be better to stick for checkers or domino's and a nice mug of cocoa.

Last edited by the troubadour; Jul 26th 2020 at 6:52 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.