Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How "Australian" do you feel.

View Poll Results: How Australian do you actually feel.
0-2 - Not in the slighest and almost certain I never will
36.84%
3-5 - Didn't at all, but some Australian feelings are coming through.g to occur
10.53%
5-7: The UK (Or whereever) is starting to feel like a distant memory "Mate"
34.21%
8-10: Strewth mate was I ever anything else?
18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

How "Australian" do you feel.

Old Jun 29th 2020, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How "Australian" do you feel.

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Been out a year now, still feel much the same as before. Less tied to Australia, perhaps, and more open to a stint in the UK. We just go where the work is, if it's somewhere we fancy going. Expect we'll be back in Oz sometime but we'll still be British Australians. No reason to deny our roots.
I was born and bred in Oz, and left in 1963 at the age of 23 to see the world before settling down. Married an Aussie girl in Canada, but we never went back except for visits. We became permanent "British expats" - having got UK nationality in 2003 by dint of our residency in a British colony in the Caribbean. We never felt any animosity towards Oz, just no pressing desire to live there. I was last there in 1995, and still have friends there from long ago. My son was born in England, and his children in Norway. He has Oz citizenship (we registered his birth with Australia House in 1975), and he spent a couple of years there, but he's happy where he is now. So, with that back-story... I feel more English than Australian, but am nothing more than a "British expat".
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

I probably feel more Australian than English now, mainly because I've been lucky enough to see much of Australia through work, and cut all financial ties to the motherland. Life has worked out pretty well for us here, and I think that's a big part of it. None of us tend to miss what we don't have too much, so dwelling on negatives isn't something we tend to do.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Australians are too emotionally reserved to ever feel part of. I suspect the same applies to a number of Australians as well (know it does) who have lived abroad, or indeed from certain non Anglo backgrounds. In that sense between English, or a certain sort,
that can do the banter, but equally discuss subjects from the arts to politics as many Europeans can do with ease . But if being Aussie means the wearing of thongs and shorts then definitely, as the formal dress sense has waned incredibly so.
I suppose many would say, in my former country of abode,( France) that in appearance 'he has all but given up'. lol.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 3:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Australians are too emotionally reserved to ever feel part of. I suspect the same applies to a number of Australians as well (know it does) who have lived abroad, or indeed from certain non Anglo backgrounds. In that sense between English, or a certain sort,
that can do the banter, but equally discuss subjects from the arts to politics as many Europeans can do with ease . But if being Aussie means the wearing of thongs and shorts then definitely, as the formal dress sense has waned incredibly so.
I suppose many would say, in my former country of abode,( France) that in appearance 'he has all but given up'. lol.
I think what you're describing there is the lack of pretentiousness that I rate pretty highly about the place. If that makes me uncultured, then I'm ok with that.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 4:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
I think what you're describing there is the lack of pretentiousness that I rate pretty highly about the place. If that makes me uncultured, then I'm ok with that.
+1

Some of the nicest people I've met here are the biggest bogans going
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

No, sorry that's not what I'm describing at all. I don't even find people lacking in pretention. it is just expressed in a different format. That being the display of things, often regardless of taste.
But each to their own. Just outlining reasons why I'd label 'how Australian I feel' although with increasing diversity thankfully over time it will most likely expand in definition to become more inclusive.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 9:25 am
Account Closed

No, sorry that's not what I'm describing at all. I don't even find people lacking in pretention. it is just expressed in a different format. That being the display of things, often regardless of taste.
But each to their own. Just outlining reasons why I'd label 'how Australian I feel' although with increasing diversity thankfully over time it will most likely expand in definition to become more inclusive.
Australia is an incredibly diverse country already, What I've found is that if you embrace it, Australia embraces you right back. We all experience things differently however,
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Australia has most certainly become far more diverse in ethnicity since the turn of the century. In other areas I don't find it so diverse, (not necessary referring to ethnicity) as in regions etc. Not all are so lucky with the embracing.
A considerable number find loneliness an issue. But as anything in life no one size fits all.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

You come across as a bit of a tosser. A bit full of yourself.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Retirednow
Meanwhile you come across as possessing the type of' head up bum' ignorance, I detest, regardless of country . Isn't there something you can do about 'improving' yourself?
Obviously if not in possession of the intelligence to make a civil response, probably best to refrain altogether and save yourself a return response in answer to rudeness.

Last edited by the troubadour; Jul 23rd 2020 at 6:04 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you want to live like a Pom, why leave Blighty in the first place? Really doesn’t make sense
Same reason why numerous Aussies 'lived' Aussie lives in London I guess. People live how ever and mix with who ever they are comfortable with.
It makes plenty of sense. While there are some 'that go native' others refrain from dissing where they came from.
But living 'like a Pom', means what exactly.? Not as if you must learn a new language, or a culture that is 'exotic' to navigate.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 10:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 23rd 2020, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

Australia has most certainly become far more diverse in ethnicity since the turn of the century. In other areas I don't find it so diverse, (not necessary referring to ethnicity) as in regions etc. Not all are so lucky with the embracing.
A considerable number find loneliness an issue. But as anything in life no one size fits all.
luck does play some role obviously, but in the main you get out what you put in. If you have preconceptions that you're not willing to give away, then those will stay with you and ruin the whole experience. There is alot to be said for going with the flow I reckon.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile you come across as possessing the type of' head up bum' ignorance, I detest, regardless of country . Isn't there something you can do about 'improving' yourself?
Obviously if not in possession of the intelligence to make a civil response, probably best to refrain altogether and save yourself a return response in answer to rudeness.
You have confirmed my previous post. Word salad silliness.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

luck does play some role obviously, but in the main you get out what you put in. If you have preconceptions that you're not willing to give away, then those will stay with you and ruin the whole experience. There is alot to be said for going with the flow I reckon.
But surely going with the flow while most probably ensuring survival (or at the least making life more easier) in very macho dominated roles and increasingly those in office type environments, in actuality it refers to 'keeping quiet' thus suppressing dissent and allowing fear in various shades to too often dictate a working environment. A reason why so many mistakes are evident in management in performing so badly. I suppose a lot depends on the job title one finds oneself in and the time of duration in Australia.

I can only speak for myself, but preconceptions do not feature much of a part on my own story, although without doubt they do on others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.