Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How "Australian" do you feel.

View Poll Results: How Australian do you actually feel.
0-2 - Not in the slighest and almost certain I never will
36.84%
3-5 - Didn't at all, but some Australian feelings are coming through.g to occur
10.53%
5-7: The UK (Or whereever) is starting to feel like a distant memory "Mate"
34.21%
8-10: Strewth mate was I ever anything else?
18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

How "Australian" do you feel.

Old Dec 1st 2019, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default How "Australian" do you feel.

Thought I'd post a poll in relation to how Australian people feel. I'd say this question goes a lot deeper than it would first appear. For instance I've been here now for almost 2/3'rds of my life, plus I've an Australian wife and 4 "Adult" Aussie kids. Where others may have come here as children with parents that migrated... lots of scenarios really, right up to the recently arrived with a partner that had to come.

I would imagine that the people that feel the most Australian wouldn't dream of even entertaining living back in the UK. Whereas the ones that feel the least would probably be out of here in a heartbeat.

So does happiness in being here actually fully relate to how Australian one feels.

Over to you.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 1st 2019 at 5:28 am.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How "Australian" do you feel.

Got to add, I'm right on the edge of being 8 out of 10..... Right now I'd say I'm a 7 out of 10. Give it another 5 years and when I've done a few years of retirement here with total leisure, enjoyment and travel time.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 5:26 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Thought I'd post a poll in relation to how Australian people feel. I'd say this question goes a lot deeper than it would first appear. For instance I've been here now for almost 2/3'rds of my life, plus I've an Australian wife and 4 Aussie kids. Where others may have come here as children with parents that migrated... lots of scenarios really, right up to the recently arrived with a partner that had to come.

I would imagine that the people that feel the most Australian wouldn't dream of even entertaining living back in the UK. Whereas the ones that feel the least would probably be out of here in a heartbeat.

So does happiness in being here actually fully relate to how Australian one feels/

Over to you.
Perhaps you should start off with what "feeling [insert nationality]" means?
We've been here almost 12 years, we're citizens, kids have grown up here, we love our life here and there are definitely no circumstances I could see that I'd move back to the UK (or anywhere else, for that matter) - but do I feel Australian? Nah mate. There again, I don't feel British either, I'm not sure what it even means to feel a nationality.

I don't think I feel defined by the country I live in, or where I'm happy/unhappy. I'm just me, wherever I am.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

First thought - not at all and never will but having lived in UK now for 8 years after 3+decades in Australia there are the odd times when I've thought there was a sought tinge of Aussie-ness in there. Usually to do with the concept of distance and, negatively, sometimes not letting someone into the stream of traffic because it didn't occur to me to do so (very bad and once I've realised I let every man and his dog in for miles after!) and definitely some vernacular (still busting my sides l stuffing when one of my mates continues to have trouble with her "rooter"). It'll be interesting whether my heart gets with the head and calls it home when we get back but I still can't bring myself to say "I am going home" which may well be before Christmas. I can honestly say that I've missed very little about Australia per se - the son and granddaughters of course otherwise having a good knitting chair, my shower and the wide car parking spaces are about all I miss.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 12:36 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'd vote but I may skew the results
Old Dec 1st 2019, 6:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'd vote but I may skew the results
I just did.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 8:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I just did.
Ok, all bets are off!
Old Dec 1st 2019, 8:33 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

15 years in I don’t particularly “feel Australian” but I am comfortable here with my very Australian family and not considering moving back to the UK.

Eventual retirement to Tasmania or NZ (or the grey nomad thing) seems more appealing.

I am militantly English when it comes to sporting loyalty and when anyone questions this (“But you live in Australia now!”) I look at them like they’re from the Planet Zog.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 3:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Perhaps you should start off with what "feeling [insert nationality]" means?
We've been here almost 12 years, we're citizens, kids have grown up here, we love our life here and there are definitely no circumstances I could see that I'd move back to the UK (or anywhere else, for that matter) - but do I feel Australian? Nah mate. There again, I don't feel British either, I'm not sure what it even means to feel a nationality.

I don't think I feel defined by the country I live in, or where I'm happy/unhappy. I'm just me, wherever I am.
This. I have no clue what being Australian feels like in comparison to what being English feels like. I'm not even sure what being English feels like. I just feel like me. I refuse to pronounce pasta, vitamins or maroon etc incorrectly if that helps and I have an (possibly) irrational dislike of Steve Irwin and his family.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
This. I have no clue what being Australian feels like in comparison to what being English feels like. I'm not even sure what being English feels like. I just feel like me. I refuse to pronounce pasta, vitamins or maroon etc incorrectly if that helps and I have an (possibly) irrational dislike of Steve Irwin and his family.
Yehp, couldn't believe Maroan when I first arrived. Victorians tend to pronounce that both ways, so you never know what your going to get. . However, here's the litmus... Pronounce "Castle" Tip properly like it's supposed to be done.... The London way

Got to admit being personally confused re the pronunciation of Pasta though.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 8:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yehp, couldn't believe Maroan when I first arrived. Victorians tend to pronounce that both ways, so you never know what your going to get. . However, here's the litmus... Pronounce "Castle" Tip properly like it's supposed to be done.... The London way

Car sel. How else is it pronounced?
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Car sel. How else is it pronounced?

Exactly and some Aussies do say it that way, although in Melbourne it's "Casstle"

Old Dec 2nd 2019, 8:35 am
Concierge

Exactly and some Aussies do say it that way, although in Melbourne it's "Casstle"
You didn't expect us all to speak like British people did you?!
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 2:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I swear people at work use the word maroon several times a shift cos they know how much it winds me up when they pronounce it wrong!

Have to say, the longer I spend here, the less I feel I fit, which I guess means I am growing even more un-Australian by the day. Roll on the day QSuper pays out.........
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You didn't expect us all to speak like British people did you?!
Adelonians give it a half decent bash. Problem is some of them seem to have adopted the weirder UK traits as well.... more than their fair share. If anything out of the ordinary happens it happens over in SA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.