Reload this Page >

housing market in Sydney

Wikiposts

housing market in Sydney

Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:40 am
Just Joined

jonathanpc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default housing market in Sydney

I am moving to Sydney soon and in the begining I will be living in a company flat. But sooner or later I will need to get my own place.

The housing market in the UK is now going down a bit and many commentators are suggesting that the market will fall substantially over the next couple of years (20-30% fall seems to be a consensus figure)

What is the market like in Sydney ?.

Also % mortgages are available should someone decide to purchase ?.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 6:19 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: housing market in Sydney

Originally Posted by jonathanpc
I am moving to Sydney soon and in the begining I will be living in a company flat. But sooner or later I will need to get my own place.

The housing market in the UK is now going down a bit and many commentators are suggesting that the market will fall substantially over the next couple of years (20-30% fall seems to be a consensus figure)

What is the market like in Sydney ?.

Also % mortgages are available should someone decide to purchase ?.

Well, that's a really good question.

I've been looking in the inner west for the last 6 months, and it's really hard to judge exactly what the market is doing.

One thing for sure is that the housing stock is very low here - very few people seem to be selling, and what is for sale is a of a pretty low standard. Having been looking, I know that some properties have been on the market for several months now. Unfortunately, the houses that are not selling are also not coming down in price.

This place in Sydenham
Link

has been on the market for approaching 6 months at $460k, has not sold, nor reduced in price. It needs some fairly substantial renovation work too by the looks of it.

So people seem to be holding on to their places. I wouldn't say it was necessarily a sellers market, but it certainly isn't a buyers one either. Who can say what another interest rate rise will bring. It may push overexposed owners and investors over the edge, so we may start to see more stuff coming to market.

Please note these observations are for the Inner West only - I have no idea about things in the Eastern Suburbs or the North Shore.

S
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: housing market in Sydney

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Well, that's a really good question.

I've been looking in the inner west for the last 6 months, and it's really hard to judge exactly what the market is doing.

One thing for sure is that the housing stock is very low here - very few people seem to be selling, and what is for sale is a of a pretty low standard. Having been looking, I know that some properties have been on the market for several months now. Unfortunately, the houses that are not selling are also not coming down in price.

This place in Sydenham
Link

has been on the market for approaching 6 months at $460k, has not sold, nor reduced in price. It needs some fairly substantial renovation work too by the looks of it.

So people seem to be holding on to their places. I wouldn't say it was necessarily a sellers market, but it certainly isn't a buyers one either. Who can say what another interest rate rise will bring. It may push overexposed owners and investors over the edge, so we may start to see more stuff coming to market.

Please note these observations are for the Inner West only - I have no idea about things in the Eastern Suburbs or the North Shore.

S
It's much the same here (east). Spring is supposed to be the peak buying/selling season but there are only about 10 houses for sale in the whole of Coogee. A couple of years ago there would have been more than twice as many at this time of the year.

Houses are selling though. None of the current batch on sale here have been on the market for ages and I'd say that they're selling for slightly more than this time last year.