Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

House And Contents Insurance With Full Flood Cover

House And Contents Insurance With Full Flood Cover

Old Mar 1st 2011, 6:07 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default House And Contents Insurance With Full Flood Cover

Rightyho, Suncorp have hiked our premium from $1000 a year to $1500 we haven't claimed in the 3 years we have been with them).

We expected a rise given recent events but this is just extracting the Michael so ...

Their main is selling point is the comprehensive flood cover, which we need (backing onto a creek and all).

Recommendations before I do the tedious thing and hit the majors anyone?

Ta muchly.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: House And Contents Insurance With Full Flood Cover

ANZ introduced flood cover as standard last year, maybe with a try
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:47 am
ABCDiamond

I checked the extra cost for flood cover a short while back and the extra was just about $500, on my $983 premium.

Suncorp is actually quite big: AAMI, GIO, Suncorp, Vero, Apia and Shannons are some of the brands in the Suncorp Group

Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:54 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
ANZ introduced flood cover as standard last year, maybe with a try
Ta

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I checked the extra cost for flood cover a short while back and the extra was just about $500, on my $983 premium.

Suncorp is actually quite big: AAMI, GIO, Suncorp, Vero, Apia and Shannons are some of the brands in the Suncorp Group
Thanks for the comparison, Suncorp certainly has widely spread tentacles ... no getting away from their underwriting policies ... used to work next to the insurance guys actually. Bigger drinkers than us, and that was saying something ...
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:48 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

My renewal's just come through, no flood cover. $1560 - SGIO
Old Mar 1st 2011, 9:09 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by renth
My renewal's just come through, no flood cover. $1560 - SGIO
Blimey, maybe 1500 is the going rate ... what with this and lettuce ...
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:04 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Someone recommended St George to me for flood cover. Apparently they and Suncorp offer the most comprehensive policies. However, I cannot verify that!!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:30 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

When I came here 6 years ago flood insurance was taboo. I only found one company willing to offer cover but unfortunately I don't own Fort Knox so didn't go for it.

Had many a discussion about the fact I live up a hill but that didn't matter. The whole of Cairns was off limits.

Combank have been chasing my business over the last year.
I was having a discussion with a person trying to sell me their insurance and I pointed out AAMI were owned by Suncorp. She
didn't know that but her manager overheard and no matter what I said they were adamant it was not the case.

When they phoned me a while later to follow up I pointed out that I was not comfortable going with a company who clearly do not know the insurance industry and cited the manager.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:58 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by tking
Someone recommended St George to me for flood cover. Apparently they and Suncorp offer the most comprehensive policies. However, I cannot verify that!!
I'll give them a go, thanks!

Originally Posted by Bix
When I came here 6 years ago flood insurance was taboo. I only found one company willing to offer cover but unfortunately I don't own Fort Knox so didn't go for it.

Had many a discussion about the fact I live up a hill but that didn't matter. The whole of Cairns was off limits.

Combank have been chasing my business over the last year.
I was having a discussion with a person trying to sell me their insurance and I pointed out AAMI were owned by Suncorp. She
didn't know that but her manager overheard and no matter what I said they were adamant it was not the case.

When they phoned me a while later to follow up I pointed out that I was not comfortable going with a company who clearly do not know the insurance industry and cited the manager.
Spectacular isn't it ... you are hardly likely to trust them come claim time, first impressions with these people really do count ... I've had a similar experience with the Youi mob (car insurance) and I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole now.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by tking
St George definition of Flood:
Flood – means the inundation of normally dry land by water that has escaped or has been released from the normal confines of any lake, river, creek, storm water channel, canal or any other watercourse whether natural, altered or man made.
Policy Condition:
We will cover -
Loss or damage caused by any form of flood, including action of the sea, highwater or tsunami.
Sounds good

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:49 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Try
westpac
onepath
GIO

All do flood cover according to Choice report on insurance - don't know the cost though or if they have changed minds since floods

Good luck
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:57 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
St George definition of Flood:

Policy Condition:

Sounds good
Thanks, top work!

Originally Posted by Scotty1
Try
westpac
onepath
GIO

All do flood cover according to Choice report on insurance - don't know the cost though or if they have changed minds since floods

Good luck
Thanks!

Not heard of onepath, I believe GIO are the same as Suncorp up here in QLD?

Westpac I do know, will check them out too

(edit) Hmmm, onepath definition sounds comprehensive, not sure if they are keen on QLDers, will check it out.

Last edited by DeadVim; Mar 2nd 2011 at 6:59 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Scotty1
Try
westpac
onepath
GIO

Good luck
Read the conditions carefully for Onepath insurance...

GIO = Suncorp
Westpac = St George

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:59 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

you have to be very careful about associating companies together and assuming they offer the same thing. i believe that's what caught many out in bris. suncorp was the underwriter but these smaller companies were excluding things like floor cover.

I've gone with westpac as they make the statement they're not the cheapest but they play no games - which is highly unusual in in this country for the insurance business.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

justcantwait will become famous soon enoughjustcantwait will become famous soon enough

I've been told that Westpac are underwritten by Suncorp, and have been cheaper, i am with Suncorp cost me just over $1000, was before the floods though......just!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.