Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Hong Kong and Disneyland

Hotels in Hong Kong and Disneyland

Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future
Question Hotels in Hong Kong and Disneyland

Hi
Can anyone recommend a hotel to stay in in Hong Kong, I've been looking at the Disneyland Hollywood Hotel as we want to do a day there this is on Lantau Island where the Airport is. Also I want to go over to Hong Kong Island for a day, how far away is this and how do you travel over?
Any people done this trip who can advise me please.
Many thanks
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Inglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hotels in Hong Kong and Disneyland

HI,
we've just booked flights to melbourne via hong kong. We want to stay at disneyland hollywood hotel and wondered if you've any tips or advive on getting there from airport(Is there a shuttle to hotel) or any other tips. We're flying with Cathay Pacific in August ?Thanks in advance
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

briwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nice

WE stayed at the Hollywood - it is on Lantau Island, and Hong Kong Island is about 25 mins away via Disney Monorail and then the Hong Kong Underground system, it's incredibly easy and very efficient.

As for getting there from the airport - that's actually a total faff by train. You have to go toward Hong Kong, change lines to come back, then get on the Disney Monorail. If you don't have a lot of luggage it's okay, but if you do, there's a lot of stairs and escalators. Taxi would be easiest and probably not that pricey - or I think there's a bus direct to the transportation centre at Disneyland.

If you do arrive by train, don't do as we do and think you must walk to your hotel, it's only about 10 mins (with luggage!) but if you head toward bus transportation you can get a free Disney bus that'll take you there in minutes.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Inglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for that, going to book hotel today and probably buy tickets for park when we get there. will probably look into getting bus or taxi from airport to hotel. Is the food/drinks in the park expensive, like in Florida?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Inglewhite
HI,
we've just booked flights to melbourne via hong kong. We want to stay at disneyland hollywood hotel and wondered if you've any tips or advive on getting there from airport(Is there a shuttle to hotel) or any other tips. We're flying with Cathay Pacific in August ?Thanks in advance
Hi (seems ages ago I asked this question)!
We booked with Cathay Pacific and booked the Disney hollywood Hotel through them because they had special rates for Cathay Pacific Customers, they also arranged our theme park tickets for us. The price included a bus from the Airport to Hollywood hotel and vice versa.
I would book with Cathay Pacific again and the Hotel was very nice.
We got a taxi from the hotel 1 day and went over to Hong Kong Island, taxi's are really cheap. Then we took a double decker bus to the Star Ferry and went over to Kowloon.
We didn't find that the food was expensive in the theme park but they don't have Mcdonalds or any burger bars, it's asian or chinese. We've been to Florida and Hong Kong Disney dosn't compare with it, no rollercoaster rides, (I suppose it depends on how old your children are, mine are 12 & 16 and remember Florida well). I'm glad that we went but I think that if you've been to Disney Florida you'll never find another so good. If you have time there is another theme park that looked real good ..someone on here recommended it, I think it was called "Ocean Park" or something, we never had time to go but it did look good.

Last edited by MOONLIGHT; Apr 24th 2008 at 12:28 pm. Reason: added more
Old Apr 27th 2008, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Liam Jackson is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MOONLIGHT
Hi
Can anyone recommend a hotel to stay in in Hong Kong, I've been looking at the Disneyland Hollywood Hotel as we want to do a day there this is on Lantau Island where the Airport is. Also I want to go over to Hong Kong Island for a day, how far away is this and how do you travel over?
Any people done this trip who can advise me please.
Many thanks
Just done a week in HK. Stayed a couple of nights in Disney Hollywood and then moved into Kowloon. We got a cracking rate on a Junior Suite (2 adults & 2 Kids) in the Metroplis Plaza - a really nice hotel which was just a short walk from the main town, although if you don't want to walk there is a courtesy bus which does the return trip every 20 mins. Kowloon was about a 25 - 30 min taxi ride from Disney.

Hope you have a great time wherever you end up. The Big Budda is worth a visit if you get time - Lantau Island also.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed at the airport Hotel in Hong Kong last year, very expensive and service terrible. We had booked a non-smoking room, they ignored this request and took us to a room that we could not enter because of the stink of cigarette smoke. They did give us a new room but it was filthy, dust all over the place, I wrote DIRTY several times in the dust. The buffet breakfast was supposed to include European, it was 95% Asian with some coco-pops and something else that we didn't recognise or were able to eat. We did get some toast but it was made with that white cotton wool type bread, quite hard and tasteless and they didn't even have marmalade. The tea was lukewarm. We had had a very bad experience at the Sheraton Towers a few years ago and hoped this new place would be better, it wasn't. Never again will we visit Hong Kong; they kow tow to the mainland Chinese and couldn't give a stuff about anyone else.

Last edited by NigelWaring; Apr 27th 2008 at 9:10 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NigelWaring
We stayed at the airport Hotel in Hong Kong last year, very expensive and service terrible. We had booked a non-smoking room, they ignored this request and took us to a room that we could not enter because of the stink of cigarette smoke. They did give us a new room but it was filthy, dust all over the place, I wrote DIRTY several times in the dust. The buffet breakfast was supposed to include European, it was 95% Asian with some coco-pops and something else that we didn't recognise or were able to eat. We did get some toast but it was made with that white cotton wool type bread, quite hard and tasteless and they didn't even have marmalade. The tea was lukewarm. We had had a very bad experience at the Sheraton Towers a few years ago and hoped this new place would be better, it wasn't. Never again will we visit Hong Kong; they kow tow to the mainland Chinese and couldn't give a stuff about anyone else.
We had 5 nights in Hong Kong in 2005 and loved the place.
We stayed in Kowloon (Intercontinental Grand Stanford) and had a great time we went back and two between HK island, Kowloon and Lantau for each of the 5 days.
Get an Octopus card, you can use it on the trains, busses and Star Ferry's, and it can be topped up if need be. This saves you looking for change and buying tickets etc, all you do is buy the card with ex amount of HK dollars on it and then a card reader scans it when you get on a bus or train etc it is quick and very easy to use.
Traveling around Hong Kong is a doddle, public transport is quick, cheap and easy to use.

Disney land had only opened the week we went, literaly a few days earlier and I can't remember how expensive it was compared to other Disney parks, but it was novel seeing something very American set in asia.

It's worth going for the ride on the mouse train to get to the park.