British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Horror Story - Avoid if scared of spiders (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/horror-story-avoid-if-scared-spiders-511615/)

JackTheLad Feb 4th 2008 11:24 am

Horror Story - Avoid if scared of spiders

Right, I was out on the patio, and my dog spots a spider just sitting there. He jumps a bit (the dog not the spider), when it moves a little. Then he starts going mental. Hes rolling around on the ground biting his paws, trying to biting his tail running back and forth like a mad thing.

So I take him inside, and he is no better, still running around, biting himself, licking his paws, and generally getting on my nerves. So I put him outside again.

Still no better, still going mental. So I go out to the patio, and sure enough, the spider is still sitting where it was, its about half the size of my hand, and fairly plump. So I thought, well, part of the solution is to kill the big bugger. So I stamped on it... :eek:

This is where the horror begins:

Hundreds of little spiders came flying out from underneath my foot. They all start running away, or up my leg or towards Jock my dog. He runs off in panic, so I have to run off to the garage and open the car boot so he can jump in, and then I shut it, then I go and get disinfectant and pour it all over where the spider is. AND IT SPRINTS OF, it was never dead, I just gave it the push it needed to produce 100s of little spiders.

AHHHHHHHHHH:eek:

And no I'm not on drugs, and not hallucinating. But that has got to be the most scariest thing I've seen since I've been in Oz. Stamp on a spider, get thousands more. Jeez, getting to sleep tonight will be tough, I'm looking forward to the dreams.:unsure:

The dog's still freaked out. But I've got him inside, at least now I understand what was freaking him out. Mummy spider was producing lots of babies.

JTL

ianandmel Feb 4th 2008 11:28 am

Re: Horror Story - Avoid if scared of spiders

Originally Posted by JackTheLad (Post 5882297)
Right, I was out on the patio, and my dog spots a spider just sitting there. He jumps a bit (the dog not the spider), when it moves a little. Then he starts going mental. Hes rolling around on the ground biting his paws, trying to biting his tail running back and forth like a mad thing.

So I take him inside, and he is no better, still running around, biting himself, licking his paws, and generally getting on my nerves. So I put him outside again.

Still no better, still going mental. So I go out to the patio, and sure enough, the spider is still sitting where it was, its about half the size of my hand, and fairly plump. So I thought, well, part of the solution is to kill the big bugger. So I stamped on it... :eek:

This is where the horror begins:

Hundrends of little spiders came flying out from underneath my foot. They all start running away, or up my leg or towards Jock my dog. He runs off in panic, so I have to run off to the garage and open the car boot so he can jump in, and then I shut it, then I go and get disinfectant and pour it all over where the spider is. AND IT SPRINTS OF, it was never dead, I just gave it the push it needed to produce 100s of little spiders.

AHHHHHHHHHH:eek:

And no I'm not on drugs, and not hallucinating. But that has got to be the most scariest thing I've seen since I've been in Oz. Stamp on a spider, get thousands more. Jeez, getting to sleep tonight will be tough, I'm looking forward to the dreams.

The dog's still freaked out. But I've got him inside, at least now I understand what was freaking him out. Mummy spider was producing lots of babies.

JTL

:ohmy:
think i will have to go on drugs now, after reading that.
i hate spiders, but couldn't help looking at this post.
i wish i hadn't. will log out now, get a tea, and try to forget.

JackTheLad Feb 4th 2008 11:44 am

Originally Posted by ianandmel (Post 5882314)
:ohmy:
think i will have to go on drugs now, after reading that.
i hate spiders, but couldn't help looking at this post.
i wish i hadn't. will log out now, get a tea, and try to forget.

I made the title clear enough!

Sorry if it scared you. But trust me, not half as scared as I was :eek: (or my dog Jock, but he's a wuss, and a eunuch)

JTL

arkon Feb 4th 2008 11:52 am

Originally Posted by JackTheLad (Post 5882380)
I made the title clear enough!

Sorry if it scared you. But trust me, not half as scared as I was :eek: (or my dog Jock, but he's a wuss, and a eunuch)

JTL

I had a simular encounter with what I thought was a lace spider. It was only about 1.5cm big, it was running across the steps towards me so I trod on it like you do. It instantly spawned about 100 tiny spiders that moved so quickly they fanned out from the splatted mother faster than I could remove my foot.

I didn't realise some spiders actually give their offspring piggy back rides, but when you think about it thats the safest place for them to be (stops mum eating them).

Those big moths seem to be the same, kill one and a thousand tiny parasites run from the dead body! Same with the cockroaches, kill one and it still manages to spawn it's young. Come back wasps all is forgiven!

Dennis The Menace Feb 4th 2008 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by arkon (Post 5882406)
I had a simular encounter with what I thought was a lace spider. It was only about 1.5cm big, it was running across the steps towards me so I trod on it like you do. It instantly spawned about 100 tiny spiders that moved so quickly they fanned out from the splatted mother faster than I could remove my foot.

I didn't realise some spiders actually give their offspring piggy back rides, but when you think about it thats the safest place for them to be (stops mum eating them).

Those big moths seem to be the same, kill one and a thousand tiny parasites run from the dead body! Same with the cockroaches, kill one and it still manages to spawn it's young. Come back wasps all is forgiven!

Me too saw a big spider with what i thought were big hairy legs, Flicked it into the swimming pool, similar to what you said hundreds of baby spiders now swimming for their lives

Dennis

JackTheLad Feb 4th 2008 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dennis The Menace (Post 5882478)
Me too saw a big spider with what i thought were big hairy legs, Flicked it into the swimming pool, similar to what you said hundreds of baby spiders now swimming for their lives

Dennis

Going for a swim any time soon?

:o

emmakc1977 Feb 4th 2008 1:38 pm

OMG - I'm scared of all creepy crawlies, but couldn't help reading the post:unsure: It sounds as if it's quite common! I'll be carrying spider killing spray with me everywhere (please tell me you can buy spider killing spray)!

poshrice Feb 4th 2008 1:41 pm

lol get yourself a nice big can of mortein and watch those suckers shrivel up and die

posh

emmakc1977 Feb 4th 2008 1:58 pm

Hope they sell handbag sized cans:) I can see me having a can on every shelf, in every room, the car and in all my handbags lol

The Crow Feb 4th 2008 7:31 pm

That happened to me in Thailand. Was just packing up my backpack when this large spider decided it wanted to crawl in to continue my trip with me :ohmy: . So, I'm afraid I did squash it and same thing - 100s of little ones came running out. Imagine if she had of got into my backpack and then at the next stop I could have opened my backpack to them :eek:

Katsmajics other half !!! Feb 4th 2008 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by The Crow (Post 5884184)
That happened to me in Thailand. Was just packing up my backpack when this large spider decided it wanted to crawl in to continue my trip with me :ohmy: . So, I'm afraid I did squash it and same thing - 100s of little ones came running out. Imagine if she had of got into my backpack and then at the next stop I could have opened my backpack to them :eek:

Oh FFS why did i read so far into this thread :ohmy:

yolandacharm Feb 4th 2008 7:44 pm

oh, feeling a little queasy now. I do tend to try and catch and release of spray with mortien though.
The first time we came out, i sprayed a huge huntsman not knowing their usefulness, and it took 3/4 hour to die, by the time it did, i felt so guilty!
Cockroaches take hours to die after being sprayed! 7 hours is the longest i seen so far, hmm what is all this saying about me? gonna go now!:D

Same Difference Feb 4th 2008 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!! (Post 5884224)
Oh FFS why did i read so far into this thread :ohmy:

Me too.........I`m in f**cking bits now :eek:

Ruby slippers Feb 4th 2008 7:49 pm

YUK YUK YUK!!!...stuff the ruby slippers ...off to buy BIG fishing waders...wonder if they come in glittery red?....

Ozzidoc Feb 4th 2008 7:50 pm

Ya all a buncha wooses!

Sparky wife Feb 4th 2008 7:57 pm

If I stomped on a spider that then erupted babba spiders, I can't imagine for one minute being capable of getting out a spray and spraying Mrs Spid. There would be hysterics (from me) and people standing round, ignoring the spider/s and gawping at the women who had weed herself. :o :lol:

Cheetah7 Feb 4th 2008 8:43 pm

I think I am going to pee my pants.

I would be jumping up and down stamping my feet and squealing quite loudly.:eek:

Same Difference Feb 4th 2008 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 5884523)
I think I am going to pee my pants.
I would be jumping up and down stamping my feet and squealing quite loudly.:eek:

Thats a lot cleaner than shitting yourself ;)

emmakc1977 Feb 4th 2008 9:05 pm

I'm never going to tread on a spider again - not because I'm a nice person and think its cruel, but because I'm v. selfish and don't want to get attacked by hundreds of baby spiders that are really ticked off I just killed their mummy:)

NikiL Feb 4th 2008 9:14 pm

I am soooo happy my stepson gets rid of spiders for me..........

I'd f***ing freak :eek::eek::eek:

Cheetah7 Feb 4th 2008 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Same Difference (Post 5884574)
Thats a lot cleaner than shitting yourself ;)

:o

Richard has departed now, taking the top bit of my kettle with him.:lol:

Wheeler-Jones Feb 4th 2008 9:17 pm

I think the title of this post is drawing those of us that are scared of spiders! It's like telling someone not to look at something - just makes ME want to see it more...

Euew....

I am creeping myself out here on the ole couch in the uk. My zip just gave me a fright because it moved slightly.....brrr.

Gonna have to train the hubby for spider patrol.

Sparky wife - I totally agree - the idea of babies spiders is almost worse because they can crawl into things.......lotsa things...orifices and the like....

mark 'n' joe Feb 4th 2008 9:20 pm

:ohmy: I knew I shouldnt have read this

Joexx

scotlandtooz Feb 4th 2008 9:22 pm

Does anyone remember that book called 'Would you Rather' from when you were little? Would you rather - have baby spiders climbing up your legs - or baby spiders swimming in your pool?

Used to terrify the heck out of me. Am sure one of the options was something about spiders nesting in your FACE! Am sure that cannot happen in real life.

Found it on Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Would-You-Ra...ustomerReviews

graz79 Feb 4th 2008 9:28 pm

This thread is useless without photographic evidence :p:rofl::rofl:

yolandacharm Feb 4th 2008 9:40 pm

2 Attachment(s)
hehe, couldn't resist!

graz79 Feb 4th 2008 9:45 pm

That should cause some squriming and squealing:p

arkon Feb 4th 2008 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by graz79 (Post 5884712)
This thread is useless without photographic evidence :p:rofl::rofl:

I'm always amazed when I hear people saying something like 'I've lived here 20 years and never encountered a nasty spider' The must live in a bubble or something. Only last week i went to move a dog kennel and noticed a fairly big jet black spider run under the rim where I was about to put my fingers to lift it. I tipped it up with a stick only to find the nastyess full grown female Red Back spider, she would almost certainly have had me had I not noticed her. Then 3 days ago in Sydney I was moving some boxes in a garage and a F**ing great big funnel web spider came racing out to have me, only just managed to jump back in time. Needless to say I never leave home without a can of fast knockdown mortien in the car, and I have a few cans scattered about the house for emergencies.

As I said before, come back wasps all is forgiven.....

graz79 Feb 4th 2008 11:18 pm

I have to confess that the spiders and snakes concern me (not in a pack up and go home sort of way), this is down to the fact our youngest cal is fascinated with them and I am terrified of him getting bitten just by being curious.

we took him to the zoo and went around the reptile house pointing out the snakes he is likely to see, he just wanted to get them out and stroke them:eek::eek:

yolandacharm Feb 4th 2008 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by graz79 (Post 5885159)
I have to confess that the spiders and snakes concern me (not in a pack up and go home sort of way), this is down to the fact our youngest cal is fascinated with them and I am terrified of him getting bitten just by being curious.

we took him to the zoo and went around the reptile house pointing out the snakes he is likely to see, he just wanted to get them out and stroke them:eek::eek:

my youngest son is 4, and he is always on the hunt for beasties, i have the same fear, so i resolved it by corruption and blackmail. Find out what he is most scared of on the day, and tell him that is what will happen if he touches it.
Mine is not scared of potentially dying, but is scared of limbs melting and falling off in horrible pain and disfigurement. (what? it was the only thing he is scared of!)

Jerseygirl Feb 4th 2008 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by yolandacharm (Post 5884755)
hehe, couldn't resist!

What are those things on it's back....hand grenades? :lol:

yolandacharm Feb 4th 2008 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5885242)
What are those things on it's back....hand grenades? :lol:

May as well be for the effect it would have if I saw it!

bil Feb 5th 2008 12:10 am

Well, I don't think I've ever heard of a spider giving birth to live young. All the ones I have ever read about lay eggs. Some then carry the young on their backs, and I think that the stories above reflect encounters with females carrying young.

Cockroaches can live for ages without a head. Days if not a week or more. They don't lay eggs per se, but a pod which contains the eggs. The pod is stached somewhere by the female, and the nymphs hatch from that.

If you are afraid of spiders, get a good book on them and read about them. They are one of the most fascinating animals around. Fear of poisonous spiders is rational, but not all spiders are any threat, and they do a lot of good.

The cross hairs in some top quality theodolites and scopes are made out of spider silk.

poshrice Feb 5th 2008 1:18 am

Hi the way i got around my 4 year old hunting down the beaties was to get a spider indentification chart and telling him which ones were nasty and to stay away from and this seems to have worked as he now only has any interest in them when he sees them rather than hunting even then it is only so he can match it up to his chart he knows not to touch in case they are really nasty.

http://www.termite.com.au/spider-identification.html this website will send you a free laminated spider chart that you can put on your fridge

poshrice

NickyC Feb 5th 2008 2:39 am

Originally Posted by arkon (Post 5885126)
I'm always amazed when I hear people saying something like 'I've lived here 20 years and never encountered a nasty spider' The must live in a bubble or something.

I can honestly say that I've NEVER encountered a nasty spider in 28 years and I certainly don't live in a bubble. Always lived in well-populated areas miles from any bush. Where we are in Coogee was originally sand-dunes, which could have something to do with it - not many spiders have their habitats in sand-dunes ;).

I've seen maybe 4-5 redbacks around the place in that time. Never seen a funnel-web at all.

bobbyftm Feb 5th 2008 6:10 am

1 Attachment(s)
Any relation ?:eek:

yolandacharm Feb 5th 2008 7:11 am

Originally Posted by bobbyftm (Post 5886434)

Oh My Gosh!
Are you serious?! thats so scary and so fascinating all at the same time! :ohmy::rofl::ohmy::rofl:

JackTheLad Feb 5th 2008 7:36 am

Originally Posted by bobbyftm (Post 5886434)

Actually thats not far from it, except I didn't see any baby spiders riding on its back before I stamped on it.

I suppose its possible, it just seemed like I stamped on it, it burst, and lots of those little critters came flying out.

And then it ran off seemingly unharmed.

katsmajic Feb 5th 2008 8:04 am

I dont have a problem with spiders/snakes etc as long as they dont want to eat me!
KOH on the other hand is scared s#*tless or them...panicked clearing out of the shed cos a 'monster sized' spider was waiting for him - it was 2" across.
how is he going to cope when i get my 'pet' huntsman????

Jerseygirl Feb 5th 2008 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by yolandacharm (Post 5886664)
Oh My Gosh!
Are you serious?! thats so scary and so fascinating all at the same time! :ohmy::rofl::ohmy::rofl:

Isn't it just? :eek: