Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The horror of glass bottles!

The horror of glass bottles!

Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The horror of glass bottles!

They filled Wembley Stadium yesterday and have achieved their 100,000 goal for signatures so I guess they're not alone!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I'm pretty sure you could do some severe damage with a broken dinner plate if you were so inclined. Should we force all restaurants that open to the public to use paper plates? After all if you WANT to eat of china you can do that at home!

Drinking out of a cold glass, or a chilled bottle in a pub is one of the few luxuries some of us have in life. Force the pubs to serve in plastic and the quality of the experience is badly diminished and I'd bet most pubs would see a dramatic drop in patronage.

Banning something enjoyed by millions simply because a pitifull few idiots misuse is simply not a solution to the worlds woes.
Perhaps just ensuring the beer has to be poured into a glass (real glass), and therefore the bottle stays behind the counter would cut down these incidences, as it's the neck of the bottle that is used as a handle. At least the guys could still have their beer in a proper glass.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammax
Perhaps just ensuring the beer has to be poured into a glass (real glass), and therefore the bottle stays behind the counter would cut down these incidences, as it's the neck of the bottle that is used as a handle. At least the guys could still have their beer in a proper glass.
My friend had a half pint glass smashed into her chin. Glass is glass.

But I don't agree with banning it.

If then ban glass in pubs they should ban steak knives - the list could go on and on.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Tim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant future

I used to run 2 night clubs in the uk, we went to pouring all drinks into plastic glasses.we could buy almost all of the trendy drinks in plastic bottles if we wanted to but the cost was nearly double.

The law is already in place to sort this out the police can insist on it if the venue is to continue to open .

I have seen first hand the damage glass can do its not nice . something needs to be done,it's time people with the authority and power to step up and sort hinges out
Old Oct 28th 2012, 3:32 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I don't understand the bit in bold. I also don't understand the need for glass bottles or glasses in a pub setting but that's me. Anyway, the significant value???
Plastic squashes in your hand spilling more than you drink, take a look at any of the stadiums & there's beer slopped everywhere. It goes flatter quicker, gets warmer quicker encouraging you to drink it quicker, hardly conducive responsible service of alcohol
Originally Posted by DadAgain
...and people are killed each year by cars but we don't ban them do we?

Some things are capable of causing horrible injuries when not used properly. trying to ban everything is not the solution.

if a pub serves beer in a plastic, I'll have one drink and leave - never to darken its halls again. it's a travesty - beer in plastic should be illegal for crimes against taste (Perhaps I'll start a petition)?
I'm the same, I loathe plastic glasses. I'd stop going to any pub that used plastic glasses.
Originally Posted by Tim65
I used to run 2 night clubs in the uk, we went to pouring all drinks into plastic glasses.we could buy almost all of the trendy drinks in plastic bottles if we wanted to but the cost was nearly double.

The law is already in place to sort this out the police can insist on it if the venue is to continue to open .

I have seen first hand the damage glass can do its not nice . something needs to be done,it's time people with the authority and power to step up and sort hinges out
Nope, laws are in place to force licensed premises to use plastic glasses simply because it's a cop out & far easier than imposing much harsher penalties upon offenders. Same old crap excuses like "the prisons are overcrowded" is a bullshit excuse for piss poor sentences for offenders. Build more prisons, it creates construction jobs & full time positions for guards etc.
If glassing someone in a pub was a mandatory 10 years sentence the 99.9% of us that have no intention of glassing anyone can enjoy our beer in our prefered pint glasses instead of pandering to .1% of arseholes. Same as always the majority are punished for the actions of a few.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 4:15 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Next thing you know, even the plastic beer glasses will be banned.

We'll all have to drink from the taps!!!
Is this not the done thing?
Old Oct 28th 2012, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Tim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant future

Crests 57 agree 100% what you are saying

Throw in the drugs on top of the drinking it's like pulling the pin on a grenade
Some really tough nights in work.courts need to hand out stiffer sentences