Hong Kong Citizens

Old Jul 16th 2020, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong Citizens

Originally Posted by Beoz
They are the exact types we want and I think we should be encouraging a pathway where that money must be invested in Australia.
Again it is not so simple. Being able to buy one's way into a country is hardly productive for that particular country, longer term. Too many of those from PRC have been doing just that for many years. Australian real estate became a good place to laundry money,
for certain individuals from China.

I fail to see the gain, if what happens is that HK rich simply add to the already way over heated house prices and purchase already established business. I don't think many would invest in Australia, being regarded as an expensive market to manufacture (hence why Aussies went offshore) when have all of Asia to invest in.

It does seem the rich would be the ones wanted to attract. Not those young people doing the protesting and quite possibly regarded in certain quarters as agitators and potential trouble makers anyway. This group, which after al has brought the focus onto Hong Kong, will
by and large not qualify for residence in UK anyway. As being born after the cutoff date of 1997 will make them illegible for an Overseas British Passport. Unless of course special provision is made.

Just another case of things not being as simple as may first meet the eye. All very well trying to upset China, but how about some detail into just how the cavalry, in the form of the British Tory Party grabbing headlines, but little in how such an operation would actually work.

Old Jul 16th 2020, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Again it is not so simple. Being able to buy one's way into a country is hardly productive for that particular country, longer term. Too many of those from PRC have been doing just that for many years. Australian real estate became a good place to laundry money,
for certain individuals from China.

I fail to see the gain, if what happens is that HK rich simply add to the already way over heated house prices and purchase already established business. I don't think many would invest in Australia, being regarded as an expensive market to manufacture (hence why Aussies went offshore) when have all of Asia to invest in.

It does seem the rich would be the ones wanted to attract. Not those young people doing the protesting and quite possibly regarded in certain quarters as agitators and potential trouble makers anyway. This group, which after al has brought the focus onto Hong Kong, will
by and large not qualify for residence in UK anyway. As being born after the cutoff date of 1997 will make them illegible for an Overseas British Passport. Unless of course special provision is made.

Just another case of things not being as simple as may first meet the eye. All very well trying to upset China, but how about some detail into just how the cavalry, in the form of the British Tory Party grabbing headlines, but little in how such an operation would actually work.
Why the focus on house prices? That could, if at all, be one upside or downside (depends if you are looking to get on the property ladder or not) to this. The big focus should be broader. The government is currently focused on the relocation of businesses from Hong Kong to Australia to provide jobs.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 7:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why the focus on house prices? That could, if at all, be one upside or downside (depends if you are looking to get on the property ladder or not) to this. The big focus should be broader. The government is currently focused on the relocation of businesses from Hong Kong to Australia to provide jobs.

Old Jul 16th 2020, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Before I put you on Ignore, I'd just like to give you a couple of pieces of advice. Firstly this thread is about Hong Kong. It's beyond you - let it go. Secondly have a think about being a big boy, and giving the immature and targeted internet bullying a miss in future. Getting into a stoush over a topic with someone is one thing. Continually targetting someone, attempting a stoush with every post to that person is another. Its not a good look. Adios.

Last edited by Beoz; Jul 16th 2020 at 9:27 am.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

It has everything to do with the economy. What makes you think HK business people will not simply buy out existing business, as already noted? Thereby creating little but probable jobs for other HK incoming folk? The purchasing of existing property does no one much good, apart from vested interests. It will more likely inflate prices further, placing already over priced real estate out of locals hands. This contributes towards ill feeling directed at incomers.
Canada, Vancouver in particular is a good example of the very highly rich from HK, inflating costs. How many jobs actually created? Of course the middle class if at all getting a look in, would find it difficult, most likely to gain employment suitable to status in HK.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It has everything to do with the economy. What makes you think HK business people will not simply buy out existing business, as already noted? Thereby creating little but probable jobs for other HK incoming folk? The purchasing of existing property does no one much good, apart from vested interests. It will more likely inflate prices further, placing already over priced real estate out of locals hands. This contributes towards ill feeling directed at incomers.
Canada, Vancouver in particular is a good example of the very highly rich from HK, inflating costs. How many jobs actually created? Of course the middle class if at all getting a look in, would find it difficult, most likely to gain employment suitable to status in HK.
So the good.

HK business are relocated to Australia, investing in Australia, employing Australians.

The bad (debatable, "what-if" scenarios)

HK businesses "MAY" relocate Hong Kongers to work in the those businesses.
Hong Kongers who migrate to Australia "MAY" buy property in Australia to live in.

I think the good might be worth a punt here.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 2:43 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

So the good.

HK business are relocated to Australia, investing in Australia, employing Australians.

Hong Kongers who migrate to Australia "MAY" buy property in Australia to live in.

I rather like the suggestion that I think Amazulu made. Reduce mainland Chinese from our annual quotas in favour of prioritising the Hongkies. That way little will change from the negative housing related conditions that we're currently accepting
Old Jul 16th 2020, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
I rather like the suggestion that I think Amazulu made. Reduce mainland Chinese from our annual quotas in favour of prioritising the Hongkies. That way little will change from the negative housing related conditions that we're currently accepting
Also a very good plan.

It also might be time for the world to start investing in other low cost countries like Vietnam, Cambodia, etc, reduce the reliance on imported good from China.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So the good.

Very doubtful any serious HK business will call Australia Home. They will require a lot more watering down of IR laws among other things. Business will more likely be conducted within the Asian region. I suppose certain enterprises could be bought with tax free incentives
and what have you, but would really question the gain to Australia under such circumstances.

It can be said to be a done deal that Hong Kongers would further inflate the already inflated property market in Australia. Canada, as i think i pointed out experienced that long ago.

Obviously HK people should be taken in as migrants and in greater numbers. Just don't suppose bringing in the richest will be necessary a big win for Australia and jobs.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Also a very good plan.

It also might be time for the world to start investing in other low cost countries like Vietnam, Cambodia, etc, reduce the reliance on imported good from China.
Don't you think this has been the focus for decades already? Hence the clothing and shoe sweat shops situated in Bangla Desh. (as an example) Even China is investing
in factories in cheaper labour countries like Cambodia and Laos and so on.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How so? If, as one assumes Australia would select well minted Hong Kongers as migrants, coming from one of the most expensive places on earth, would most likely witness an explosion in inflated housing. Further placing Aussies in ever more serious and unsustainable personal debt.
China has close to a billion and a half people. HK has several million. One should wonder just why China for so long has been principle source of migration anyway. It all fitted nicely in to the scenario built up over time due to likely laziness and the selling out to the Chinese lobby, all likely scenarios, by to many of influence on the local scene, for personal gain.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

One should wonder just why China for so long has been principle source of migration anyway. It all fitted nicely in to the scenario built up over time due to likely laziness and the selling out to the Chinese lobby...
Oh, bullshit.

Could it be instead that successful Chinese applicants for Australian immigrant visas are actually well-qualified, under the points system, in terms of desirable educational achievements, skills qualifications, and English-language competence???

Or, are you suggesting that DHA have been "lazy" "over time" and have dropped their standards with respect to Chinese applicants?

I'd hesitate, slightly, to call you racist in view of your post. But I'd forgive others who conclude that you are.

Last edited by abner; Jul 17th 2020 at 1:02 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by abner
Oh, bullshit.

Could it be instead that successful Chinese applicants for Australian immigrant visas are actually well-qualified, under the points system, in terms of desirable educational achievements, skills qualifications, and English-language competence???

Or, are you suggesting that DHA have been "lazy" "over time" and have dropped their standards with respect to Chinese applicants?

I'd hesitate, slightly, to call you racist in view of your post. But I'd forgive others who conclude that you are.
No actually most likely not. (note the civil response without terming your contribution 'bullshit) I would most certainly 'hesitate', in attempting to label any post of mine racist as well. I'll put it down to your ignorance on your part as to my online deposition.
Now what it is more likely is that the main cohorts of international students being Chinese nationals, (considering how the education system has been structured with the carrot of PR being the attraction of so many internationals to pick Australia in the first place)
as well as a deliberate policy to increase PRC migrants and take us further into the Chinese 'orbit' if you like, which in turn was expected to profit Australia in terms of commerce and trade, including ever increasing student flow, tourist numbers going up, the illogical selling out,
of things like Darwin Port.

What has dropped of course is the standard of education. Long been claimed by academics, but quietly, as in danger of losing their employment if spoken too loudly. This is not only Chinese PRC students of course, but other places as well. International recruitment agents not beyond some 'elements' of corruption as well. But obviously those with money can influence outcomes and to what degree selection criteria was always scrutinized could be questioned.

It should be remembered Australia's immigration intake has been running at record levels over the past decade plus. No real reason given, nor can be questioned as to need. A Big Australia tends to be the policy on all sides, regardless of infrastructure readiness.
Old Jul 19th 2020, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

While i don't see the need at this moment of time to bring in HK residents en mass, there is certainly an argument to bring in Uighurs under the refugee scheme. That is one group being persecuted for ethnicity and religious differences by the Chinese regime.
Hong Kong residents could certainly have numbers increased as already suggested, under normal immigration intake. But as i have already suggested, I do not think most big business would consider Australia a viable option to set up.
So many to date, have appeared to gain Australian PR or passport then return to HK to do business and make money. Australia is seen as a good place to place the kids in high school and/or university as well as for the aged, but the making of money, if it business not necessary so.
Obviously the situation may change and would need to be revisited. There was a plan in Britain in the eighties (or suggestion) that large numbers of HK residents be resettled in a designated part of Northern Ireland.
It was suggested the outcome would be the creation of a mini HK in NI, increasing prosperity for all , but obviously never got of the ground.
Perhaps a similar plan would work in an area of Northern Australia? After all it was considered, however briefly as a location for Jewish settlement after The War.
Old Jul 19th 2020, 10:22 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

....... the Hongkies ........
Most of your post removed to highlight this - this sounds, and reads, awful. I think the term you are looking for is Hong Kongers, or HKers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.