British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Be honest.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/honest-539701/)

sparkey May 29th 2008 9:21 am

Be honest....

Spiders :eek: I have just watched Australian Spiders on You Tube and now I have real worries.!!!

I stay in Scotland and think our spiders are huge and scary, I check my bed before going into it, I check my shoes, clothes, towels, above my head before going into my shed and there are parts of my garden I don't even go to as fear of spiders. My OH says there is no way I would cope in Australia and I'm beginning to agree with him....(that doesn't happen very often) !!!!!:heart:
My questions are
1. are they (the real big ones) common place in your house/garden :blink:
2. are there parts of Australia that they are less common :confused:
3. are some spiders too big to hoover up (my only weapon against the buggers)!!:devil_smile:

Cleopatra May 29th 2008 9:24 am

Re: Be honest....

Originally Posted by sparkey (Post 6408217)
Spiders :eek: I have just watched Australian Spiders on You Tube and now I have real worries.!!!

I stay in Scotland and think our spiders are huge and scary, I check my bed before going into it, I check my shoes, clothes, towels, above my head before going into my shed and there are parts of my garden I don't even go to as fear of spiders. My OH says there is no way I would cope in Australia and I'm beginning to agree with him....(that doesn't happen very often) !!!!!:heart:
My questions are
3. are some spiders too big to hoover up (my only weapon against the buggers)!!:devil_smile:

Just bite the bullet and get over it. I'm having to. At least you can start here by using a glass and a bit of card and you know they are not going to hurt you - that way you can get used to them and the sizes as you find bigger ones.

Once you get used to that - they really are'nt that scary.

eddie007 May 29th 2008 9:27 am

I'm over the acute arachnaphobia that I had in the uk...

I still scream if I see one, but I don't iunstantly die anymore... Have stopped checking shores/clothes/bed too...

Call me complacent but with my trusty spray to hand I can deal with anything here.... and if its too big to sspray then HE deals with it...

WelshSarah May 29th 2008 9:28 am

Originally Posted by sparkey (Post 6408217)

I stay in Scotland and think our spiders are huge and scary, I check my bed before going into it, I check my shoes, clothes, towels, above my head before going into my shed and there are parts of my garden I don't even go to as fear of sApiders. My OH says there is no way I would cope in Australia and I'm beginning to agree with him....(that doesn't happen very often) !!!!!:heart:
My questions are

You must be mad!!! Stay there!!!:eek:

Answers:
1 Yes.. But none inside.. I now love looking between the bushes and seing how big the webs and their owners are..

2 No...

3 Yes... but they arent the ones to worry about... its the teeny ones with red arses you should look out for!!!

3a.. Buy a tin of mortein.. better than dyson any day!! Spray the outside and inside of the house and they aint coming in!! Love the geckos.. they eat the spiders!

If you are that scared then New Zealand is for you!!!:lol:

Dorothy May 29th 2008 9:30 am

Australia is not over-run by marauding giant spiders any more than Canada is over-run by grizzly bears or Africa with lions. In nearly 2 years we've seen 1 huntsman (juvenile) and a few redbacks, a couple of white tails and a few run of the mill garden spiders. 99% of which were outside.

WelshSarah May 29th 2008 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 6408255)
Australia is not over-run by marauding giant spiders any more than Canada is over-run by grizzly bears or Africa with lions. In nearly 2 years we've seen 1 huntsman (juvenile) and a few redbacks, a couple of white tails and a few run of the mill garden spiders. 99% of which were outside.

My thoughts so far too....

magic.no7 May 29th 2008 9:43 am

Originally Posted by justsarah (Post 6408245)
You must be mad!!! Stay there!!!:eek:

Answers:
1 Yes.. But none inside.. I now love looking between the bushes and seing how big the webs and their owners are..

2 No...

3 Yes... but they arent the ones to worry about... its the teeny ones with red arses you should look out for!!!

3a.. Buy a tin of mortein.. better than dyson any day!! Spray the outside and inside of the house and they aint coming in!! Love the geckos.. they eat the spiders!

If you are that scared then New Zealand is for you!!!:lol:

spray the inside first or they head into the house! dont worry the worst, depending where you are are the whitetails. Only the snakes kill you.:eek:

sparkey May 29th 2008 9:45 am

Just been on Wikipedia

Think I will get a pet Gecko...:rofl: !!

sparkey May 29th 2008 9:48 am

Originally Posted by magic.no7 (Post 6408314)
spray the inside first or they head into the house! dont worry the worst, depending where you are are the whitetails. Only the snakes kill you.:eek:

Do snakes come into your house ??

Cleopatra May 29th 2008 9:48 am

Originally Posted by sparkey (Post 6408332)

yes.

sparkey May 29th 2008 9:50 am

Originally Posted by sparkey (Post 6408332)

Right so it's a pet gecko and,,,what kills snakes ??

Cleopatra May 29th 2008 9:52 am

Originally Posted by sparkey (Post 6408344)
Right so it's a pet gecko and,,,what kills snakes ??

A shotgun.

Seriously though, there are people who can call who will take the snakes away for you.

but again - it's rare.

sparkey May 29th 2008 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Cleopatra (Post 6408355)
A shotgun.

Seriously though, there are people who can call who will take the snakes away for you.

but again - it's rare.

I was thinking of brining my cat with me but considering he too runs away from spiders I think he might be happier in the UK..

eddie007 May 29th 2008 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Cleopatra (Post 6408355)
A shotgun.

but again - it's rare.

Garden spade does the job too.... so I've been told

Cleopatra May 29th 2008 10:03 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 6408411)
Garden spade does the job too.... so I've been told

lawnmower is another good one - Oh and golf clubs for the cane toads