Be honest....

Old May 29th 2008, 9:21 am
App Lodged 28 Nov 08

sparkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Be honest....

Spiders I have just watched Australian Spiders on You Tube and now I have real worries.!!!

I stay in Scotland and think our spiders are huge and scary, I check my bed before going into it, I check my shoes, clothes, towels, above my head before going into my shed and there are parts of my garden I don't even go to as fear of spiders. My OH says there is no way I would cope in Australia and I'm beginning to agree with him....(that doesn't happen very often) !!!!!
My questions are
1. are they (the real big ones) common place in your house/garden
2. are there parts of Australia that they are less common
3. are some spiders too big to hoover up (my only weapon against the buggers)!!
Old May 29th 2008, 9:24 am

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Be honest....

Originally Posted by sparkey
Spiders I have just watched Australian Spiders on You Tube and now I have real worries.!!!

I stay in Scotland and think our spiders are huge and scary, I check my bed before going into it, I check my shoes, clothes, towels, above my head before going into my shed and there are parts of my garden I don't even go to as fear of spiders. My OH says there is no way I would cope in Australia and I'm beginning to agree with him....(that doesn't happen very often) !!!!!
My questions are
Just bite the bullet and get over it. I'm having to. At least you can start here by using a glass and a bit of card and you know they are not going to hurt you - that way you can get used to them and the sizes as you find bigger ones.

Once you get used to that - they really are'nt that scary.
Old May 29th 2008, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm over the acute arachnaphobia that I had in the uk...

I still scream if I see one, but I don't iunstantly die anymore... Have stopped checking shores/clothes/bed too...

Call me complacent but with my trusty spray to hand I can deal with anything here.... and if its too big to sspray then HE deals with it...
Old May 29th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

I stay in Scotland and think our spiders are huge and scary, I check my bed before going into it, I check my shoes, clothes, towels, above my head before going into my shed and there are parts of my garden I don't even go to as fear of sApiders. My OH says there is no way I would cope in Australia and I'm beginning to agree with him....(that doesn't happen very often) !!!!!
My questions are

You must be mad!!! Stay there!!!

Answers:
1 Yes.. But none inside.. I now love looking between the bushes and seing how big the webs and their owners are..

2 No...

3 Yes... but they arent the ones to worry about... its the teeny ones with red arses you should look out for!!!

3a.. Buy a tin of mortein.. better than dyson any day!! Spray the outside and inside of the house and they aint coming in!! Love the geckos.. they eat the spiders!

If you are that scared then New Zealand is for you!!!
Old May 29th 2008, 9:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is not over-run by marauding giant spiders any more than Canada is over-run by grizzly bears or Africa with lions. In nearly 2 years we've seen 1 huntsman (juvenile) and a few redbacks, a couple of white tails and a few run of the mill garden spiders. 99% of which were outside.
Old May 29th 2008, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Australia is not over-run by marauding giant spiders any more than Canada is over-run by grizzly bears or Africa with lions. In nearly 2 years we've seen 1 huntsman (juvenile) and a few redbacks, a couple of white tails and a few run of the mill garden spiders. 99% of which were outside.

My thoughts so far too....
Old May 29th 2008, 9:43 am
HUN skelper

magic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by justsarah
You must be mad!!! Stay there!!!

Answers:
1 Yes.. But none inside.. I now love looking between the bushes and seing how big the webs and their owners are..

2 No...

3 Yes... but they arent the ones to worry about... its the teeny ones with red arses you should look out for!!!

3a.. Buy a tin of mortein.. better than dyson any day!! Spray the outside and inside of the house and they aint coming in!! Love the geckos.. they eat the spiders!

If you are that scared then New Zealand is for you!!!
spray the inside first or they head into the house! dont worry the worst, depending where you are are the whitetails. Only the snakes kill you.
Old May 29th 2008, 9:45 am
App Lodged 28 Nov 08

Just been on Wikipedia

Think I will get a pet Gecko... !!
Old May 29th 2008, 9:48 am
App Lodged 28 Nov 08

Originally Posted by magic.no7
spray the inside first or they head into the house! dont worry the worst, depending where you are are the whitetails. Only the snakes kill you.
Do snakes come into your house ??
Old May 29th 2008, 9:48 am

yes.
Old May 29th 2008, 9:50 am
App Lodged 28 Nov 08

Right so it's a pet gecko and,,,what kills snakes ??
Old May 29th 2008, 9:52 am

Right so it's a pet gecko and,,,what kills snakes ??
A shotgun.

Seriously though, there are people who can call who will take the snakes away for you.

but again - it's rare.

Last edited by Cleopatra; May 29th 2008 at 9:54 am.
Old May 29th 2008, 10:00 am
App Lodged 28 Nov 08

Originally Posted by Cleopatra
A shotgun.

Seriously though, there are people who can call who will take the snakes away for you.

but again - it's rare.
I was thinking of brining my cat with me but considering he too runs away from spiders I think he might be happier in the UK..
Old May 29th 2008, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleopatra
A shotgun.

but again - it's rare.
Garden spade does the job too.... so I've been told
Old May 29th 2008, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by eddie007
Garden spade does the job too.... so I've been told
lawnmower is another good one - Oh and golf clubs for the cane toads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.