Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Holiday Fun that Won't Break the Bank!!!

Wikiposts

Holiday Fun that Won't Break the Bank!!!

Old Apr 5th 2008, 8:58 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holiday Fun that Won't Break the Bank!!!

Hi, can anyone help please

We've booked our flights (We chose Qantas btw!)

After recuperating in Sydney for a couple of days, we're flying up to Brisbane where we're picking up a 4WD & heading up to Cairns. We have 2 weeks from 13th -26th August to make the trip.

We've found out that there will be no dolphin feeding at Seaworld during this time, because they ave their vaccinations, so does anyone know of anywhere else we can feed/swim with dolphins along the route?

We've got all the brochures & a couple of Lonely Planet Guides, but a little local knowledge is the most valuable thing, so I was wondering if you guys had any "must-see" suggestions, things that you've done & enjoyed with your own kids.

The other thing I wondered was about this Australian Outback dinner show I've read about. Has anyone been & is it worth going to?

We really want this to be a great holiday for the girls, as some of you may know, making sure they have a good time & see that Australia is a fantastic place for them is really important. We've had to find £5K for flights at short notice, so any suggestions that you can make to help us make the budget stretch would be really appreciated
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:02 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday Fun that Won't Break the Bank!!!

Originally Posted by JenniGee

After recuperating in Sydney for a couple of days, we're flying up to Brisbane where we're picking up a 4WD & heading up to Cairns. We have 2 weeks from 13th -26th August to make the trip.

We've found out that there will be no dolphin feeding at Seaworld during this time, because they ave their vaccinations, so does anyone know of anywhere else we can feed/swim with dolphins along the route?

We've got all the brochures & a couple of Lonely Planet Guides, but a little local knowledge is the most valuable thing, so I was wondering if you guys had any "must-see" suggestions, things that you've done & enjoyed with your own kids.

The other thing I wondered was about this Australian Outback dinner show I've read about. Has anyone been & is it worth going to?

We really want this to be a great holiday for the girls, as some of you may know, making sure they have a good time & see that Australia is a fantastic place for them is really important. We've had to find £5K for flights at short notice, so any suggestions that you can make to help us make the budget stretch would be really appreciated
You could try tangalooma on Moreton Island for feeding dolphins...trouble is it dont come cheap...

http://www.tangalooma.com/
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Glad you're coming over, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time, I know how important this trip is to you.

We thought this place looked good, but we haen't made it there yet
http://www.petporpoisepool.com/dolph...dknjDTA#senior
also you can feed them at Tin Can Bay free of charge
http://www.barnaclesdolphincentre.com.au/
We have done the Tangalooma feeding, but as OP said it works out pretty expensive as you have to stay at Tangalooma overnight to be allowed to do it (then it's "free"). You can just watch others if you are staying elsewhere onthe island or camping. If however, you want to do a tour of Moreton anyway then it's worth it (Moreton Island is lovely).

Gill
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:38 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

You could try a day trip to Fraser Island on your way up the coast..
Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:10 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Trigger & gilly for the suggestions, dolphins feature very high on the wish-list for some strange reason What is it with kids & dolphins
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Pet porpoise pool is great,(didnt like coffs harbour,sorry)but its not like being in the wild,still surreal though.Australian outback was also a hit ,even with our 11year old who is quite hard to impress at the moment.
Im sure they will enjoy their stay,as our familly that has just left said ,"there's nothing not to like"
good luck,donna
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Go on the ferry from Runaway bay to south stradbroke ( couran cove) and you will see heaps of dolphins swimming past you!! The resort is a great day out too!!
Get a 3 day family pass for sea world, movie world and wet n wild.its winter here then so you will get your moneys worth!! I know its not 'real' australia but kids love all that stuff, its all about a balance I think.. beach one day (free!), theme park the next day. It makes them realise how close you will be living to this sort of stuff!! We then got annual passes which means if the kids fancy whoosing around on a roller coaster with their friends during school hols or on the odd weekend you can!!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Plus with the annual pass ( once you get here) they can swim with dolphins EVERY WEEK if they want to!!!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

We were over in August last year and ended up in Port Douglas after the Gold Coast too!! It was SO humid up northbut my kids Loved the snorkelling!! My eldest wasnt big into swimming and the sea but that trip changed everything!! We went to Green Island because its not just dropping off the side of a boat and snorkelling only but there are other things to do there ( that was in case he didnt take to snorkelling) However the 2 boys were hooked!!! We also did the speed boat ride to snorkel a few days later as they are speed freaks and love the banging along at speed!! I prefered the climate at The Gold Coast to be honest... much crisper, less humidity and much more to do. We spent 6 days on the gold coast and 11 in port doug and i wished after it had been the other way around as there is little to do up north for kids other than the reef each day, which can get expensive. The danger of kids getting bored is.. Im bored, I hate it here syndrome!!!
We did Australia Zoo which I thought was a bit of a let down, but it had to be done all the same!! My boys were thoroughly unimpressed ( but at 14 &15 what did I expect them to think of possums and wombats!!) Little kids would love it!
You cand also get voucher books here with lots of money off offers. They are available in most shopping malls. Give me a PM and I will send you one if you like and a basic tourist map too!!
Sarah
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:25 am
Da bing bing!

Thanks Sarah for all that great information

You have 2 sons??? When can we visit???

At the moment it's very hard to visualise actually being over there, being warm, feeling the sun, swimming in the sea.... it's about 4 degrees & sleeting here, we've just dragged the Sainsbury's shopping indoors & we're looking forward to 2 weeks off with nothing to do

Happy days
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Sarah for all that great information

You have 2 sons??? When can we visit???

At the moment it's very hard to visualise actually being over there, being warm, feeling the sun, swimming in the sea.... it's about 4 degrees & sleeting here, we've just dragged the Sainsbury's shopping indoors & we're looking forward to 2 weeks off with nothing to do

Happy days
Sounds like our old days back in Blighty!!

How old are your girls? My 2 are 15 & 16 respectively in July and they are loving it here. The lifestyle is perfect for teens I think. My eldest now uses public transort to go off with his friends to the beach etc and he is having his first ever sleep over this week ( thats if we decide not to pop to Melbourne for a few days) i just feel more comfident here that they are safer. Please feel free to pick my brains ( wont take you long!!!) PM if you like and I look forward to seeing you and yours when you arrive if you like!!

Sarah