Holiday!

Old Dec 6th 2014, 11:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holiday!

As some of you will know, it's been a crappy 2 years for Scouse and I.

My younger brother was diagnosed with throat cancer and went through chemo and radiotherapy (now in remission)

Scouse had to make the dreaded dash to the UK twice for his brother (f'n cancer again), who passed away during Scouse's last trip

My older sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, currently having chemo

My step-Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer (now receiving palliative care at home from my 81 year old Mum, who is a stubborn old chook and will accept very little help)

My Uncle passed away suddenly a couple of weeks ago, heart attack

My ongoing legal case re the motor vehicle accident (over 3 years now) is driving me around the twist as the insurance company keeps sending me to doddery old fool doctors, who I'm sure have latent sadist tendencies because they take great pleasure in hurting me

My post-motor vehicle accident injuries were compounded by a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis, and I had a second spinal surgery

(I've severely depressed myself, reading that back )

Before I drown in a sea of self pity, I realize that there are other people, including some of our BE folk, who are doing it far, far harder. I've read some stories on here that have almost had me blubbering, and I don't blubber easily.

However, I'm knackered. Bone weary knackered, and so is Scouse (although he'd never admit it). So I've thrown caution (and a good chunk of my rapidly dwindling savings) to the wind and organized a surprise holiday for us. I'm going to do up a full itinerary, with pics and everything, and give it to him in a card on Christmas Day

For those of us interested in all things holidays, here's what we're doing:

Fly to Singapore.
Check into a Fullerton Suite in the Fullerton Hotel. Lots of 'club' advantages, like champagne brekkies, afternoon teas and 2 hours of cocktails and canapés in the evenings.

Take a short cruise to Malaysia! We've been umming and ahhing about a cruise for yonks, as we're not sure if they're for us. This one is only 4 nights so I figure that even if we hate it, we'll survive
It's just one day at sea, docked in Penang the next day, docked in Langkawi the next, then the last day at sea.

I was very undiscriminating when I was looking for a cruise, it just had to depart from Singapore and be short. I was messing about with cabin reservations on this one, and although I knew it was too expensive I clicked on the Royal Suite, which is the biggest cabin on the ship. Nearly died when I saw the price, then remembered that I'd seen a box you could tick if one of the passengers were over 55. So I checked that box, clicked again to get the price, and it was half bat!!

It's a ridiculous cabin for only two people, but I don't care! It even has a (cough cough) digital baby grand piano - you tell it which piece of classical music you want to hear and it plays it, the keys move and everything! It'll probably sound like elevator music but I feel like a kid that's been let loose in a sweet shop.

Back in Singers, check back into the Fullerton Hotel for 7 days. A Palladian Suite this time, bigger than the Fullerton suite but with only a balcony, not the large terraces. I can just about justify paying the $800 a night for the Fullerton suite for the first 2 nights, but not for the last 7.

The reason I chose the Fullerton is that on the 3 occasions Scouse and I have been to Singapore and are down by the marina, he's looked longingly at this hotel and said 'we'll stay there one day'. So we are.

Fly back to Perth.

The hardest thing to organize was the pet/house sitter. A gorgeous person from right here on BE had offered to do it, but when I was 'casually' talking to Scouse about the possibility of a holiday sometime in the next 6 months, he said that it couldn't be in the summer as our poor old golden retriever suffers badly in the heat, and spends summer on his back on the tiles directly under one of the air conditioning vents. As this lovely person works full time, it was a no go

After advertising on a pet/housesitting site, I chose (yes, lots of people want to do housesitting, I got tons of responses!) a couple around the same age as us from Victoria. Both recently retired school teachers, now travelling around Australia in a caravan. They like to do occasional house sits to break up the time they spend in the van. Great references, police cleared etc etc. They love dogs and are still grieving for their own old goldie, who passed away over a year ago. Best of all - they are quite happy to be home nearly all the time and just enjoy the facilities!

So - we're going on holiday!

Last edited by Alfresco; Dec 15th 2014 at 4:47 pm. Reason: Requested by the OP.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 12:02 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday!

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
As some of you will know, it's been a crappy 2 years for Scouse and I.

My younger brother was diagnosed with throat cancer and went through chemo and radiotherapy (now in remission)

Scouse had to make the dreaded dash to the UK twice for his brother (f'n cancer again), who passed away during Scouse's last trip

My older sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, currently having chemo

My step-Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer (now receiving palliative care at home from my 81 year old Mum, who is a stubborn old chook and will accept very little help)

My Uncle passed away suddenly a couple of weeks ago, heart attack

My ongoing legal case re the motor vehicle accident (over 3 years now) is driving me around the twist as the insurance company keeps sending me to doddery old fool doctors, who I'm sure have latent sadist tendencies because they take great pleasure in hurting me

My post-motor vehicle accident injuries were compounded by a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis, and I had a second spinal surgery

(I've severely depressed myself, reading that back )

Before I drown in a sea of self pity, I realize that there are other people, including some of our BE folk, who are doing it far, far harder. I've read some stories on here that have almost had me blubbering, and I don't blubber easily.

However, I'm knackered. Bone weary knackered, and so is Scouse (although he'd never admit it). So I've thrown caution (and a good chunk of my rapidly dwindling savings) to the wind and organized a surprise holiday for us. I'm going to do up a full itinerary, with pics and everything, and give it to him in a card on Christmas Day

For those of us interested in all things holidays, here's what we're doing:

Fly to Singapore.
Check into a Fullerton Suite in the Fullerton Hotel. Lots of 'club' advantages, like champagne brekkies, afternoon teas and 2 hours of cocktails and canapés in the evenings.

Take a short cruise to Malaysia! We've been umming and ahhing about a cruise for yonks, as we're not sure if they're for us. This one is only 4 nights so I figure that even if we hate it, we'll survive
It's just one day at sea, docked in Penang the next day, docked in Langkawi the next, then the last day at sea.

I was very undiscriminating when I was looking for a cruise, it just had to depart from Singapore and be short. I was messing about with cabin reservations on this one, and although I knew it was too expensive I clicked on the Royal Suite, which is the biggest cabin on the ship. Nearly died when I saw the price, then remembered that I'd seen a box you could tick if one of the passengers were over 55. So I checked that box, clicked again to get the price, and it was half bat!!

It's a ridiculous cabin for only two people, but I don't care! It even has a (cough cough) digital baby grand piano - you tell it which piece of classical music you want to hear and it plays it, the keys move and everything! It'll probably sound like elevator music but I feel like a kid that's been let loose in a sweet shop.

Back in Singers, check back into the Fullerton Hotel for 7 days. A Palladian Suite this time, bigger than the Fullerton suite but with only a balcony, not the large terraces. I can just about justify paying the $800 a night for the Fullerton suite for the first 2 nights, but not for the last 7.

The reason I chose the Fullerton is that on the 3 occasions Scouse and I have been to Singapore and are down by the marina, he's looked longingly at this hotel and said 'we'll stay there one day'. So we are.

Fly back to Perth.

The hardest thing to organize was the pet/house sitter. A gorgeous person from right here on BE had offered to do it, but when I was 'casually' talking to Scouse about the possibility of a holiday sometime in the next 6 months, he said that it couldn't be in the summer as our poor old golden retriever suffers badly in the heat, and spends summer on his back on the tiles directly under one of the air conditioning vents. As this lovely person works full time, it was a no go

After advertising on a pet/housesitting site, I chose (yes, lots of people want to do housesitting, I got tons of responses!) a couple around the same age as us from Victoria. Both recently retired school teachers, now travelling around Australia in a caravan. They like to do occasional house sits to break up the time they spend in the van. Great references, police cleared etc etc. They love dogs and are still grieving for their own old goldie, who passed away over a year ago. Best of all - they are quite happy to be home nearly all the time and just enjoy the facilities!

So - we're going on holiday!
<edited for smiley limit>
Sounds absolutely brilliant Spouse

Last edited by Alfresco; Dec 15th 2014 at 4:49 pm. Reason: Requested by the OP.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 12:20 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Have a fab fab time. You may catch a bit of the North East monsoon in Singapore in early January but Fullerton is a great location. Can just walk out in the evening to all the pubs, eateries along the river at Boat Quay. But then again you may be enjoying your cocktails at the Fullerton.

Penang and Langkawi should be good. Well I would say that wouldn't I
Old Dec 6th 2014, 12:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sparkles and Bakedbean

Bakedbean, we love Penang! One of my best friends comes from there, and all her family still live there. Her Mum lives in a big house which has a huge hall that serves as a Hindu temple, and she and all the family are so gorgeous to us when we visit, they treat us like we're family too.

When we stay there, we sleep in a room off the hall. We didn't really know what to expect the first time we went - the first morning we woke up we thought we could smell incense, opened the door and there were about 50 people kneeling in the hall. Beautiful people in a beautiful country.

Apart from Penang, KL and Melaka we haven't seen any other parts of Malaysia so are particularly looking forward to Langkawi.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Well done you for arranging all this! You'll have a blast in Singapore, it's one of my favourite places. Plus if you are staying at the Fullerton you can also use the facilities of the Fullerton Bay Hotel just down the road. They have the most amazing roof top pool.

Sometimes you just have to do these things, you've had a few things thrown at you and why not treat yourself. By taking some time out and enjoying yourself you'll come back refreshed and stronger and yes, there will be a dent in the savings but sometimes it just has to be done.

We did a weeks hols in Port Douglas when we got back from the UK after Dad's funeral. It cost us so much just for a week (we were naughty and ate out all the time!) but I just needed to get away somewhere different (and warm) and just "be" for a few days and throw some financial caution to the wind!

Hope you are able to keep it a secret until Christmas Day!
Old Dec 6th 2014, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great holiday Spouse and so well deserved.I hope you both have a ball and a well earned rest.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds lovely - have a great trip and remember to relax.

We all have shitty years - I have had a few (including this one, but we won't go into that). 1988 I had a year very similar to your 2014, loved ones sick and dying and having fatal accidents all over the place. My sister lost her husband in a car accident (he was 29) and shortly thereafter we cared for our terminally ill mum at home until she died (dad was also terminally ill, both in their late 50's). I moved in with my sister and her three girls aged 5, 7 and 8 to help her through the crap. The reason I'm telling you all this, is that we now look back at that year as not only a terrible year, but a wonderful year of strength and memories that brought us all through with an incredible bond that will never be broken. Stay strong and remember the good stuff too.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Onwards and upwards spouse. Good for you.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

You have had to put up with so much that a wonderful holiday to make new happy memories is just the ticket.

After dad's death we had 3 days in the Hunter Valley to get away from it all. It helped- might have been the wine!! Enjoy fabulous cocktails and indulge yourselves.
Old Dec 7th 2014, 3:46 am
Concierge

Thanks for sharing my excitement everyone!
Old Dec 7th 2014, 12:30 pm
Concierge

Oh pooh! In all the excitement, I quite forgot my usual detailed preparation for travel. I take a narcotic pain reliever (Targin), and following the link provided in SmartTraveller, which takes you to the Singapore Health Commission, I have to get an import permit from them to bring it into the country.

I'm seeing my GP tomorrow anyway so no problem getting the required documentation, but I hope I can organize the import permit in time

Malaysia doesn't require an import permit for it, just the usual note from your GP. That surprised me, I thought controls would be stricter in Malaysia. Don't know why I thought that, mind.
Old Dec 7th 2014, 12:49 pm
Concierge

...and another thing (I'll shut up soon, promise!) - there was a lot of kindness and wisdom in the responses to my original post and I have replied to each person privately. Just in case my lack of public responses make me look like a selfish bitch - can't let that secret out!
Old Dec 7th 2014, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Oh pooh! In all the excitement, I quite forgot my usual detailed preparation for travel. I take a narcotic pain reliever (Targin), and following the link provided in SmartTraveller, which takes you to the Singapore Health Commission, I have to get an import permit from them to bring it into the country.

I'm seeing my GP tomorrow anyway so no problem getting the required documentation, but I hope I can organize the import permit in time

Malaysia doesn't require an import permit for it, just the usual note from your GP. That surprised me, I thought controls would be stricter in Malaysia. Don't know why I thought that, mind.
If you chew gum (normal stuff) or take any nicotine replacements you better check those out for Sing too. That said I have walked into Sing on numerous occasions with a stray pack of gum in my pocket without incident.
Old Dec 7th 2014, 9:43 pm
Longing for something new

AdamL is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh your itinerary sounds absolutely amazing!!! I work in travel here in the UK really closely with Royal. I think it's Mariner you're going on from Singapore on the Best Of Malaysia isn't it? My friends recently did something similar with them and their photos looked truly brilliant.

I really hope you love it!! I did a short cruise for my first one which was a really sensible decision to make because like you said, then you know whether it's worth it or not to do longer ones! I went on Oasis of the Seas from Amsterdam - Southampton and we've booked another 2 subsequently!

If you want any advice or information about cruises just let me know because it's something I spend all day doing at work lol!!
Old Dec 8th 2014, 9:22 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

If you have time in Langkawi, a meal at Fat Cupid is a must. The owner is an expat Aussie-Malaysian, and it is a beautiful restaurant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.