Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Holden Versus Toyota

Wikiposts

Holden Versus Toyota

Old Mar 4th 2006, 6:59 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holden Versus Toyota

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Why do you need a V6?
Tried pulling a boat with 4 adults, full load of dive gear, weeks worth of grog, in the middle of summer with AC on full, up steep incline, passing 2 trucks on single lane?
Plus prefer the smooth ride on motorways.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 8:00 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by thebears
Tried pulling a boat with 4 adults, full load of dive gear, weeks worth of grog, in the middle of summer with AC on full, up steep incline, passing 2 trucks on single lane?
Plus prefer the smooth ride on motorways.
I was going to say, if you want speed and handling get yourself a bike.

You could fit half a schooner of Pimms in you're leatherette tassley bag matey.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 9:19 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
I was going to say, if you want speed and handling get yourself a bike.

You could fit half a schooner of Pimms in you're leatherette tassley bag matey.
Where did this idea of speed come from? Handling is not just about car racing. It is also vital for safety handling in the wet, snow/ice sudden emergency manoeuvres.

Personally I just smack on the cruise control and chill. Got over the bad boy image in my 20's.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Some examples of price drops after 1 year:

2005 JAGUAR X-TYPE X400 MY05 SE Sedan 4dr Auto 5sp 2.1i
Price when new (RRP) $52,990
National average price - private sale* $38,200 - $43,500 = 18% drop

2005 FORD FALCON BA Mk II XT Sedan 4dr SA 4sp 4.0i
Price when new (RRP) $35,555
National average price - private sale* $20,900 - $24,300 = 31% drop

2005 HOLDEN COMMODORE VZ Lumina Sedan 4dr Auto 4sp 3.6i
Price when new (RRP) $33,690
National average price - private sale* $21,400 - $24,800 = 26% drop

2005 TOYOTA CAMRY ACV36R Ateva Sedan 4dr Auto 4sp 2.4i
Price when new (RRP) $32,730
National average price - private sale* $20,500 - $23,800 = 27% drop
The way I read this "depreciation" crap is that they revert to their true value. They are originally way overpriced. How else are you going to gull the punters. "Sorry mate we are selling you an overpriced car and it will lose 20% of its value once you take delivery." Potential purchaser "Gee, I feel honoured you are spivving me, I think I will buy it."

All common items depreciate except children who certainly don't go the other way "Appreciate"

I think this "depreciation" thing had been invented by the same genre of motoring writers as the wine writers who rabbit on about the cheekiness or lingering after taste of plonk.

Have a look around for a vehicle and buy a 6 - 12 month old used vehicle. It will still have the manufacturers warranty and the "Skinning" process will have been carried out on the original purchaser. You will also get better value.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 10:35 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hmmm - looks interesting.

Can anyone recommend what 7 seater I could buy if I wanted one with all the extras eg leather seats, cruise control, sat nav blah de blah? I've looked at several of the Australian car websites but would appreciate personal suggestions. Will need to carry Mum, Dad, 2 kids, Grandparents at times, dive gear, ski gear, camping gear, whatever.

Thanks

Buzzy
New model Nissan Pathfinder. We've got one - it's fab.

Originally Posted by cheri-pie
I thought it would probably be down permanently

I obviously haven't got a clue. Surely it would be OK when you're driving along - the breeze would cool you down. And I didn't think there would be many traffic jams to sit in getting scorched.

I need a 4x4 here to get down the mountain through snow and rain, I just thought it might be nice to get a 'normal' car in Brisbane, but know I don't know...............Please help

Mind you, there are far more important things for me to worry about when we get there !
No offence, but you would have to be crazy to consider a soft top or convertible in Qld :scared: , the heat here in summer will rip the skin off the back of your legs when you sit on the seat & unless you are driving less than 10 minutes at a time (the amount of time after which you start to get skin damage if you are in the sun) you will be number one patient at the skin cancer clinic sooner than you will have traded in the car on a new model. Once you get here & experience a Qld summer you will realise that you need air con, tinted windows & various devices like steering wheel covers, silver solar blockers for the windscreen & rear windows etc to try to keep the heat out, not a soft top or convertible to let them in .

BTW, not as many as the UK, but still traffic jams over here, although generally most of them are usually during peak hour traffic - but trust me, when its 32 degrees at 8.30am it wont matter whether its rush hour or not, its bloody hot .
Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:21 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ialibu

Have a look around for a vehicle and buy a 6 - 12 month old used vehicle. It will still have the manufacturers warranty and the "Skinning" process will have been carried out on the original purchaser. You will also get better value.
True, the last few cars I bought were ex-demo's, saved £,000's off the list price. And you can normally sell them for what you paid in 12months or so
Will try and do the same in OZ.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:06 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
New model Nissan Pathfinder. We've got one - it's fab.

No offence, but you would have to be crazy to consider a soft top or convertible in Qld :scared: , the heat here in summer will rip the skin off the back of your legs when you sit on the seat & unless you are driving less than 10 minutes at a time (the amount of time after which you start to get skin damage if you are in the sun) you will be number one patient at the skin cancer clinic sooner than you will have traded in the car on a new model. Once you get here & experience a Qld summer you will realise that you need air con, tinted windows & various devices like steering wheel covers, silver solar blockers for the windscreen & rear windows etc to try to keep the heat out, not a soft top or convertible to let them in .

BTW, not as many as the UK, but still traffic jams over here, although generally most of them are usually during peak hour traffic - but trust me, when its 32 degrees at 8.30am it wont matter whether its rush hour or not, its bloody hot .
I did live in Brisbane for 5 years with an old HQ holden with vinyl seats and manual air conditioning (open the windows). Leave your towell on the seat with windows solar fans to keep air circulating.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 6:16 am
Here and loving it!

cheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
No offence, but you would have to be crazy to consider a soft top or convertible in Qld .
Thanks for that, I've never really thought about it being too hot before. Makes perfect sense now.

So 4 x 4 it is for me.............back to original question..............Holden or Toyota or what about Lexus?

Cheers
Cheri x
Old Mar 5th 2006, 6:57 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Holden Versus Toyota

I can't work out why this thread was moved to the Barbie?

Isn't this Ozzie lifestyle and stuff?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 5th 2006, 7:50 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheri-pie
Thanks for that, I've never really thought about it being too hot before. Makes perfect sense now.

So 4 x 4 it is for me.............back to original question..............Holden or Toyota or what about Lexus?

Cheers
Cheri x
Wife had Lexus RX300 (4x4) she loved it. Thing with Lexus is you get loads of extra's free that BMW/MERC etc will charge you for. There Customer service is second to none IMO.
Think some Toyota models maybe sold as Lexus in oz.

Suni
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:36 am
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Honda Accord?
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:49 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

The head would say get the Toyota the heart would say get the XR6 turbo and have a little fun!!!

Originally Posted by Centurion
Suggestion - Ford XR6

I really like mine and have driven most makes of cars and generally didnt think I would own another Ford...but....what can I say - its lovely and beats the Holden in most class tests for pretty much everything.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:09 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Holden Versus Toyota

Hmmm - looks interesting.

Can anyone recommend what 7 seater I could buy if I wanted one with all the extras eg leather seats, cruise control, sat nav blah de blah? I've looked at several of the Australian car websites but would appreciate personal suggestions. Will need to carry Mum, Dad, 2 kids, Grandparents at times, dive gear, ski gear, camping gear, whatever.

Thanks

Buzzy
Does anyone have any opinions on the Hyundai Terracan?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:16 pm
Melbourne Australia

Does anyone have any opinions on the Hyundai Terracan?

Cheers

Buzzy
http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...x?id=9650&vf=5

Before any one starts making comments about Korean cheap quality suggest you take one out for a test drive and see what you think of it. Obviously buying used would be the smart thing to do. Have a car dealer friend who is buying one for his wife (used) - not the wife the car.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:18 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by skywalker
Honda Accord?
Great engine = but build quality and interior put my wife off.

Have had a number of accords = the engine keeps going even when the bodywork is falling off around it.

"Honda the fear of europe" but where in Australia ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.