Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Holden to pull out of Australia

Holden to pull out of Australia

Old Dec 6th 2013, 6:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holden to pull out of Australia

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
This is the key for me on this issue - As the cost of fuels rise, the desire and need to have these large and thirsty cars is inevitably going to wane. The only real mass markets for these cars are Australia and NZ, and as people wake up to much more efficient motoring, it's not rocket surgery that people will stop buying Holdens.

S
Years ago a friend of mine in Geelong told me quite seriously that because Australia was a big country you needed a big car How on Earth does the size of the country influence the size of the car you need? That mentality has pretty much gone now and although the bogan taxis still have a kind of cult following most people see to car shop with their brains nowadays. Holden and Ford should have started building the cars people were actually buying years ago.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 7:20 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Holden to pull out of Australia

I think this says it all:

Old Dec 6th 2013, 7:20 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Oh, and under the careful ministrations of Joyce, Qantas has just been downgraded to junk status, after announcing 1000 redundancies yesterday.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-0...unceme/5139902

That's despite having an firm grip on it's domestic market the likes of which BA could only dream of.

Once again, it's bleeding the Australian cash cow to fund ill-advised expansion in Asia - then blaming workers when you finally kill off the Australia bits.
Yes another body blow. I recall a few years ago the Aussie press were crowing about how Qantas was the most profitable national airline and (inevitably) making comparisons to BA. How things change in a few short years.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 7:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
They are a dinosaur and as I said before still appeal the bogans but even that following is declining. Unfortunately to tool up to build cars people actually want would be prohibitive.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 7:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I've always found VW Golf to be over-rated heaps of shite.
I've always liked Golfs. I've had 4 over the years - including my 1st car

I like the mk7. I may get one next year
Old Dec 6th 2013, 7:51 am
Banned

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013...pank-adelaide/
Old Dec 6th 2013, 7:57 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've always liked Golfs. I've had 4 over the years - including my 1st car

I like the mk7. I may get one next year
One of my first cars was a Golf and I had another in the UK ten years or so ago. Endless problems with them both I've also hired a couple of Golfs over more recent years and both left me feeling dissatisfied. The last one was a year or two ago in SA - the original Citi Golf model. That one I couldn't change gear on turnings and the bonnet was so thin it rippled. Strangely, they seem to be quite sought after but I would never buy one again. I've never regretted buying Toyotas and Hondas
Old Dec 6th 2013, 7:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

That grin just got bigger
Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

One of my first cars was a Golf and I had another in the UK ten years or so ago. Endless problems with them both I've also hired a couple of Golfs over more recent years and both left me feeling dissatisfied. The last one was a year or two ago in SA - the original Citi Golf model. That one I couldn't change gear on turnings and the bonnet was so thin it rippled. Strangely, they seem to be quite sought after but I would never buy one again. I've never regretted buying Toyotas and Hondas
My first car was a mk1 GTi - I loved that car

I wrote it off in an act of stupidity that was of biblical proportions
Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:04 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I love you boys - so funny
Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I'm afraid I don't know how much a car costs to manufacture in Aus - Holden's wages look to be on par with Mars in the UK. Unless of course that doesn't include their penalty rates, and in which case it's higher than I thought

Edit - sorry, from what I remember froma colleagues pay at BMW, they would be a little lower at Holden, again assuming you've already factored in penalty rates
Its not a question of rate of pay its performance related, or in rest of world terms "employee efficiency".
Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:18 am
Banned

They seem to be up and down as far as reliability goes, some surveys rate them very poorly overall. German reliability and quality is a bit of a myth really, BMWs also often rate poorly.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I think Abbott will play hardball. Can't see him chucking bad money after good.

Not convinced by that - he seems intent on persevering with the F-35 Joke Strike Fighter and the Collins 2. These will end up being two multi-billion dollar white elephant projects.

S
Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:30 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Think that cleaned things up - can we knock it on the head now!

EDIT - If there's anyothers anyone has a problem with - hit report and don't rise to the bait
Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Not convinced by that - he seems intent on persevering with the F-35 Joke Strike Fighter and the Collins 2. These will end up being two multi-billion dollar white elephant projects.

S
I have no idea why Australia feels it needs submarines?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.