Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Himalayan Salt Lamps?

Himalayan Salt Lamps?

Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:31 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Himalayan Salt Lamps?

My O/H is asthmatic due to multiple allergies. It's normally controlled by both preventer & reliever inhalers. Following a serious chest infection a couple of years ago she's had no sense of smell at all. It's a worry & we've been to various doctors & tried a multitude of drugs. So far nothing has worked except a couple of courses of very large dose penicillin used to treat her for pneumonia last September. It returned briefly for a couple of weeks before fading away again.
During the recent floods it was necessary for her to stay at work. She was bunked in with the D.O.N & there were these "salt lamps" dotted around the flat. After a week billeted there her sense of smell came back. Now she's home it's gone again lol. I should try deodorant
Anyway to the point of my long winded post. These Himalayan Salt Lamps seem to have had a positive effect upon her so I've bought one. I'm still sceptical but as it was only $50 bucks & is nice to look at I'm not really bothered if it's all smoke & mirrors.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 3:33 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Himalayan Salt Lamps?

I'm no doctor, but it could be the salt lamps... Or, it could be another environmental factor.

e.g. something which is ever-present in your house, but was missing when she was staying in that flat.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Got to admit, since the wife put the 3 or 4 Salt Lamps around our Gaffe my allergy triggered spring time asthma seems to have dropped off a little. I still got it, but it wasn't quite as bad this year.

She only bought them for the looks of the things AFAIK and as a de-humidifer. .
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:41 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Got to admit, since the wife put the 3 or 4 Salt Lamps around our Gaffe my allergy triggered spring time asthma seems to have dropped off a little. I still got it, but it wasn't quite as bad this year.

She only bought them for the looks of the things AFAIK and as a de-humidifer. .
Yep I like them as a piece of art. If it works it's a bonus. Can't be any worse than sleeping next to chainsaw snorer
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:56 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife had pneumonia and chronic asthma when 8 months pregnant. Her asthma has never gone and she snores. I know the saline nebuliser in hospital helped a lot. I am a bit dubious about the salt lamps. Do those ionisers also work? Maybe all you need is a salt water pool. The taste thing is interesting as my older son has that (but not asthma). I will be interested to see the outcome. It could be just a low allergy place she is in.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by IvanM
My wife had pneumonia and chronic asthma when 8 months pregnant. Her asthma has never gone and she snores. I know the saline nebuliser in hospital helped a lot. I am a bit dubious about the salt lamps. Do those ionisers also work? Maybe all you need is a salt water pool. The taste thing is interesting as my older son has that (but not asthma). I will be interested to see the outcome. It could be just a low allergy place she is in.
I spoke to the guy up in Maleny that imports them. He's an old hippy type, thoroughly nice bloke though. I asked what the score was & suggested the same thing. He said yep it [salt water pool] would be beneficial in much the same way, he even said a 2 hour walk on the beach would have the same effect. The difference is the salt lamp is a constant through the night. He throws his shower towel over his at night & it's crusty dry next morning lol.
No hard sell, took the time to explain how they act as hygroscopic dehumidifiers as well as filling the room with negative ions. I'm dubious about the water evaporation producing enough ions to fill a room but hey ho for $50 bucks for a big one [see below] $35 for a night light size one for the bedside table they won't break the bank. They also fill the room with a nice ruby coloured glow......................
Attached Thumbnails Himalayan Salt Lamps?-salt-lamp-1.jpg  
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:28 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

In Germany they have huge wooden hedges with salt water constantly poured over them and paths next to them in some spas the ozone is supposed to be beneficial for chest complaints. I hope the salt lamps help your wife