Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

High salt diet (dysautonomia or POTS)

Wikiposts

High salt diet (dysautonomia or POTS)

Old Jul 1st 2011, 2:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High salt diet (dysautonomia or POTS)

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Could make for some 'interesting' desserts. Apple pie, cream and a big dollop of HP Sauce.

Hmmm.. perhaps not.
Don't knock it till you've tried it!
Old Jul 1st 2011, 3:28 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Could make for some 'interesting' desserts. Apple pie, cream and a big dollop of HP Sauce.

Hmmm.. perhaps not.
Perhaps just brown sauce for meat then!

I've also read about people using salt on fruit, which just seems weird to me. I've never seen anyone do that before, but may have to give it a try and see what it's like.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 4:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Perhaps just brown sauce for meat then!

I've also read about people using salt on fruit, which just seems weird to me. I've never seen anyone do that before, but may have to give it a try and see what it's like.
Well it's the 'done' thing to put black pepper on fruit, so why not salt?
Old Jul 1st 2011, 4:41 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Well it's the 'done' thing to put black pepper on fruit, so why not salt?
Tomato is a fruit.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Comet, have you found the DINET website - lots of stuff on there.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 2:33 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by itigo
Hi Comet, have you found the DINET website - lots of stuff on there.
I hadn't come across that one yet, thanks!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there- sorry to hear about your troubles. Could you try adding little bits of salt to stocks etc when you are cooking? Gradually increase the amount until you get used to the taste.

It is said that it takes about 10-12 attempts at tasting things until your body gets used to the taste/decides to like it. Certainly it is so with children: they look and go "yuk", but if you persist, eventually they like it. Worked with DD over a number of foods. She even likes "cheesybite" now, though can't quite manage vegemite, and honestly I don't blame her!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 12:06 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Yes, I think it'll just be a matter of increasing it over time. Will have to use stock more when cooking. Only trouble is I cook for my husband and two kids so I don't really like the idea of them eating piles of salt too. So I can only do so much to the family meal which means I'll have to top up mine.

At the moment I'm thinking eggs (and sometimes bacon) for breakfast. Soups or sandwhich with deli meat for lunch and soup and ??? covered with sauce for dinner (lol). Dinner is more of a problem as most salty food I can come up with is more snack like than an actual meal. No problems with finding snacks though!

I love popcorn with piles of salt on it so that might be my new snack food, that and nuts but you can only eat so much of that.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 7:39 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Yes, I think it'll just be a matter of increasing it over time. Will have to use stock more when cooking. Only trouble is I cook for my husband and two kids so I don't really like the idea of them eating piles of salt too. So I can only do so much to the family meal which means I'll have to top up mine.

At the moment I'm thinking eggs (and sometimes bacon) for breakfast. Soups or sandwhich with deli meat for lunch and soup and ??? covered with sauce for dinner (lol). Dinner is more of a problem as most salty food I can come up with is more snack like than an actual meal. No problems with finding snacks though!

I love popcorn with piles of salt on it so that might be my new snack food, that and nuts but you can only eat so much of that.

Snacks are a bad idea IMO, just because they are made to last in any manner possible - hydrogenated oils, emulsifiers, preservatives, etc. etc. - or could have some crazy sugar content. I can not imagine how a supposedly "natural" muesli bar, for example, can be good for three years?

Anywhoo - a culinary tip - the salty taste gets to be more intense if the salt is milled very finely or diluted in something (like stock or a sauce) - so you tend to put more rock salt (or coarse sea salt) on your steak/salad greens, as compared to a fine milled variety. Turned around, that can actually work in your favour, you'd consume more in quantity, by cheating your taste buds, and without having to cook a whole separate meal from your family. Hope this makes some sense