Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Helping Children Get Used To Idea?

Helping Children Get Used To Idea?

Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Helping Children Get Used To Idea?

Originally Posted by katieandpaul74
Hello All,
We are in a similar position, moving to the Southern Suburbs of Perth in June. Our 2 year old is none the wiser, but the 5 year old has started to realise it's really happening! We've been open and honest about it for the last 2 years (since we first started the process), and he has been drawing pictures of our new house etc. We have MSN and Skype sorted, and his reception teacher has said he can take in the scrap book we made him when we did the Reccie visit last year, nearer the time we go!!

I think the fact we are packing up the house is a little unnerving for him.. and us..... but as someone said previously, we are trying to focus on the big family adventure we are about to have, not all the family and friends we are leaving behind!!

Our next challenge is the flight...... how do you keep two little monkeys quiet on an 18 hour flight, arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Good luck to all, Katie & Paul
Good luck with the packing. I really must start getting rid of all my 'junk' that I'm not taking to Oz.

The flights will be fine. We were concerned about how our 2 would be (they were just over 2 & 3&half at the time) when we flew. They were absolutely fine & the flight is the least of our worries as September approaches. We have timed our flights again though so we know they'll be ready to crash when we board the 2nd flight.

As it was Australia Day today our son took the holiday scrap book in to pre-school for show & tell today. He wasn't impressed though as it had been done for our daughter & his name was on any of the flight ticket stubs...oops!! He also wore his 'G'Day Mate' Perth t-shirt today to show to everyone - bless him

What I do need to do is source some little koalas (or something similar) for the kids to give to the friends when they leave school/pre-school. There was a post on here a while ago about something similar which I thought was a lovely idea.

Alison x
Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

The Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant future

When we took our two for our reccie last year, it was a piece of cake! I was so worried but they had a whale of a time. The seats were huge for them, all the films the wanted( although my little boy seemed to have Jungle Book on the whole way!), constant food and spoilt rotten with the pressies the airline kept appearing with. We arrived at the best time as the second leg was about 10pm their time, so we just got them in their pjs at Dubai and they were asleep before we took off!

Think they will be harder work this time as it isn't a novelty and even car journeys are becoming stressful as they fall out all the time now

We have now set up email for my daughter and she has already practised sending them to Granny and my sister - one happy lady again!
Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

katieandpaul74 will become famous soon enough

Hello, thanks for the reply.......Just wondering who you flew with?? We did Cathy Pacific last time (minus the kids though) they were very good.
Katie & Paul
Old Jan 30th 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by katieandpaul74
Hello, thanks for the reply.......Just wondering who you flew with?? We did Cathy Pacific last time (minus the kids though) they were very good.
Katie & Paul
We flew with Emirates & have booked with them again for September. Can't recommend them enough. The kids were entertained throughout the flights & their was way to much food served for them. The sweets that came in the food packs I put in my bag & they kept the kids going throughout our 2 week stay. They got loads of bits & pieces, I think we had 4 strange cuddly toy things that you can change the character of plus hand puppets & books & they're both still using their Emirates rucksacks & lunch bags that they got. We boarded our 2nd flight at about 11pm our time so also got the kids in to their pj's a Dubai & they both went straight off to sleep on the plane. We had them in the middle 2 seats between us so we folded up the arm rests & they topped & tailed on the seats. We've booked the same time flight again as it worked well for us. We landed (& will land again) in Perth at about 5pm local time & the kids went to bed just slightly later than they'd normally have done if we were at home & slept right through until about 8am the following morning We've already booked our seats on the flight but are waiting until a bit closer to flying to book the meals.

Alison x
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

the jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the rough

5 year old ! Your lucky theres not a 1 in front of it.Our 15year boy old just does not want to go , football team , girls and alot of close friends. Our 11 year old girl can't wait! Anyway good luck , this can be the hardest bit of the whole visa process to try and convince them .Once again all the best
Old Jan 31st 2010, 11:39 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I just mis-read the title of the thread as:
"Helping Children Get Used to IKEA"

Had me a bit perplexed - I was thinking - well if you've just moved to the other side of the world and needed to buy all new furniture IKEA isnt a bad place to get yourselves kitted out. Surely the type of furniture you have at home is a fairly minor consideration for them, why would it be a problem?.... and then I read it properly!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

The Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I just mis-read the title of the thread as:
"Helping Children Get Used to IKEA"

Had me a bit perplexed - I was thinking - well if you've just moved to the other side of the world and needed to buy all new furniture IKEA isnt a bad place to get yourselves kitted out. Surely the type of furniture you have at home is a fairly minor consideration for them, why would it be a problem?.... and then I read it properly!
pmsl
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by al150n
We flew with Emirates & have booked with them again for September. Can't recommend them enough. The kids were entertained throughout the flights & their was way to much food served for them. The sweets that came in the food packs I put in my bag & they kept the kids going throughout our 2 week stay. They got loads of bits & pieces, I think we had 4 strange cuddly toy things that you can change the character of plus hand puppets & books & they're both still using their Emirates rucksacks & lunch bags that they got. We boarded our 2nd flight at about 11pm our time so also got the kids in to their pj's a Dubai & they both went straight off to sleep on the plane. We had them in the middle 2 seats between us so we folded up the arm rests & they topped & tailed on the seats. We've booked the same time flight again as it worked well for us. We landed (& will land again) in Perth at about 5pm local time & the kids went to bed just slightly later than they'd normally have done if we were at home & slept right through until about 8am the following morning We've already booked our seats on the flight but are waiting until a bit closer to flying to book the meals.

Alison x
We flew with emirates as well - brilliant on the way out, ok on the way back. For some reason our little boy's meal hadn't been ordered and he kept being left til everyone on the plane had been served. going with singapore this time - any one happy with them? heard good reports so far
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

katieandpaul74 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reply Alison, very helpful! We haven't booked anything yet, but will bare in mind the times you mentioned...... sounds a good idea to keep them to normal times as much as possible!
Katie & Paul