Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Help! We have got ourselves into a sticky situation!

Help! We have got ourselves into a sticky situation!

Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! We have got ourselves into a sticky situation!

Originally Posted by smraymer
We have had a terrible time with our real estate agents in selling our house and we have got ourselves into a situation where we have to settle on a property down the Gold Coast in less than 30 days and we still haven't sold our house.
Please, if anyone knows of ANYONE who is looking for a beautiful 4 bedroom plus study and pool family home on the bayside of Brisbane, please direct them to the real estate section here.
We've reduced the price for a quick sale so whoever buys it is getting a great deal.
I can't believe how unlucky we have been with our real estate agents. I am now so stressed that I am running out of options to what to do next.
I was just talking to a Aussie friend, she told me when house is under contract, it means the buyer is sorting out its financial part before it can purchase the house, so I said what if they cant get mortgage, she said the house would be put back on the market, so why are you being push into purchase if you haven’t got the fund?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:07 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
I was just talking to a Aussie friend, she told me when house is under contract, it means the buyer is sorting out its financial part before it can purchase the house, so I said what if they cant get mortgage, she said the house would be put back on the market, so why are you being push into purchase if you haven’t got the fund?
*Subject* to contract - not "Under". When you've exchanged contracts, unless you've had some clause put in, you are legally bound to stump up on the due date.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
*Subject* to contract - not "Under". When you've exchanged contracts, unless you've had some clause put in, you are legally bound to stump up on the due date.

Is that for all over Australia, or different states have their own rules & regulations.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Is that for all over Australia, or different states have their own rules & regulations.
The states do have slightly different methods of handling contracts but basically once you've signed the contract and any cooling-off period has passed you're locked in.

It's actually a good thing. It means that people can't pull out of the deal for flimsy reasons and the house-buying process is smoother and simpler than the UK.

Lesson is - if you don't have the cash to buy the house - don't go signing contracts.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

smraymer will become famous soon enoughsmraymer will become famous soon enough

Lesson is - if you don't have the cash to buy the house - don't go signing contracts. [/QUOTE]

A bit too late for me now though, but let that be a lesson for everyone else!!!!

I am still keeping optimistic that it will all work out though.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:20 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

We did originally but we took a gamble that we would sell our house in 3 months, so we had to go unconditional on the other house or lose it. We didn't bank on the agent stuffing up though.

Hey whereabouts in Solihull are you from? I am from Marston Green.
Not to far from Solihull Town Centre, Down Solihull Lane
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

Hey whereabouts in Solihull are you from? I am from Marston Green.
So are we!! and we are in a similar situation except our house is in the UK (in MG). We couldn't get a subject to sale for an overseas house and so had to plump for a long settlement period (we got 4 and a half months).

We now have 2 houses (and mortgages!) on opposite sides of the world and I would agree with the OP - don't buy without selling first, it is too stressful - and if anyone knows the standards of the local agents we have to deal with in the UK .. :curse:

Good luck smraymer, hope everything works out for the both of us

Nikki
x
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mysnix
So are we!! and we are in a similar situation except our house is in the UK (in MG). We couldn't get a subject to sale for an overseas house and so had to plump for a long settlement period (we got 4 and a half months).

We now have 2 houses (and mortgages!) on opposite sides of the world and I would agree with the OP - don't buy without selling first, it is too stressful - and if anyone knows the standards of the local agents we have to deal with in the UK .. :curse:

Good luck smraymer, hope everything works out for the both of us

Nikki
x
Wow! What a small world! My mum still lives in MG and is visiting us at the moment. Hope it all works out for you.
I know it's hard to keep optimistic sometimes but it will all work out for both of us!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

We have had a terrible time with our real estate agents in selling our house and we have got ourselves into a situation where we have to settle on a property down the Gold Coast in less than 30 days and we still haven't sold our house.
Please, if anyone knows of ANYONE who is looking for a beautiful 4 bedroom plus study and pool family home on the bayside of Brisbane, please direct them to the real estate section here.
We've reduced the price for a quick sale so whoever buys it is getting a great deal.
I can't believe how unlucky we have been with our real estate agents. I am now so stressed that I am running out of options to what to do next.
House selling karma sent! Sorry can't do more!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

Wow! What a small world! My mum still lives in MG and is visiting us at the moment. Hope it all works out for you.
I know it's hard to keep optimistic sometimes but it will all work out for both of us!
Does she fancy a new house??

I'm sure you are right and 'she'll be right' in the end!

Nikki
x
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:49 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Thats not strictly true.

As soon as a home goes unconditional, then theoretically the home is as good as sold, and all thats waiting is the transfer of money and exchange of contracts.

However, should a buyer, be in the position this lady is in, they can keep asking and asking for an extension of contract...

You can get severely penalised for not making your due exchange date, but in this climate, most sellers will either cave in and lengthen exchange period, or indeed whack a sunset clause on the sale.

< been there done that got the friggin t-shirt )
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Thats not strictly true.

As soon as a home goes unconditional, then theoretically the home is as good as sold, and all thats waiting is the transfer of money and exchange of contracts.

However, should a buyer, be in the position this lady is in, they can keep asking and asking for an extension of contract...

You can get severely penalised for not making your due exchange date, but in this climate, most sellers will either cave in and lengthen exchange period, or indeed whack a sunset clause on the sale.

< been there done that got the friggin t-shirt )
We're open listing it with multiple agents now, so hopefully one of them will be able to sell it soon. Our situation has just been unfortunate.

Good luck to everyone else in a similar situation.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Richard007 will become famous soon enough

That looks like Bruce Waynes house!! Wayne Manor !!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Richard007
That looks like Bruce Waynes house!! Wayne Manor !!
Maybe I should be marketing it on the Batman enthusiasts sites then (I had to look up who he was by the way)