Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Help - School Supplies

Help - School Supplies

Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all
Default Help - School Supplies

We arrived mid school year and just handed money over for what they needed when they started their last school.

We are now moving them to a new school, and I'm baffled by the 'booklists'.

We've 3 children going into years 1,3 & 5... When we picked up the book lists yesterday they told us to get the text books from the recommended retailer but we could get the rest anywhere....

Now these lists are fairly specific... ie; 10 x binder book 64 page A4 thirds...??

Just a lot to take in! Should I just hand over the book lists to the designated store and cough up or can I source the stuff from the likes of Big W & Kmart... and do they need 10 binders & 6 erasers up front?? Also do they have to be branded the same as the list....

I must sound really thick, it was just a lot easier back in the UK and it's got me a tad confused.... in fact I've got a headache thinking about it and I've got to get everything sorted for next Wednesday

Can anyone guide me through this mindfield??
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help - School Supplies

It will be much cheaper to buy the stationery from KMart etc. or Officeworks. We have to hand over stationery up front at the start of the year for the younger grades as it's used communally, as they get older they keep their own stuff in their pencil case/bag so you don't need it all at once.

Do you know anyone with kids in the same school you could ask? I puzzled for weeks over what a "decor basket" could possibly be for pre-school. When I asked in Howard's Storage they sold me one for $20 - I could have got it for $5 elsewhere if I'd known what I was looking for. Our school does get sniffy if you hand in anything other than the (expensive) UHU glue sticks but I'm guessing others aren't fussed.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest is going in to year six and his list came to $99 which I thought was fine so I just did that on line and will collect from school tomorrow.My eldest starts high school and her list came in just shy of $1,000.I bought some books secondhand and bought the rest of the books from the allocated shop.I then went on line and got quiet a lot of her stationary at Office World alot cheaper than the designated shop.You can buy some items at the cheaper brand but I normally buy the more expensive glue.In the end I saved a bit of money which paid for her shoes.I couldnt get her the standard kmarts at $30.She needed brown and they came in at $100.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 5:22 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, I am fed up with it too... just spent over 200 bucks on the worst school uniform I have ever seen... am going to get a bill for over another 200 bucks to hire text books and I haven't even started the normal books hunt..

Thats just number 1 sons... then I have to do my daughters primary school books... can I get her maths book in BigW or Kmart? nope... wonder how much petrol I am going to spend driving to places to try and find it! Our local newsagents have sold out too!

I am going to change my Happy New Year greeting next time to Bloody January Again.. bah humbug!

When I said to my little girl that we are going school shoe shopping tomorrow... she got all excited and said "fabulous, I have seen some great Converses....." lmao! I gave her the 'you have GOT to be kidding me' look....

Then the bags... school bags, the back pack sort?... Ed went through 3 last year as his text books were so heavy.. they just ripped straight down...

ahhhhhh...................

Feels better now to get that off me chest!

Em x
Old Jan 21st 2010, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

thanks for the advice...

just got back from the uniform shop $380 lighter... that's just for 3 bags, 3 sweater's and the little ones summer uniform!! She asked if I wanted more than 1 of everything and I said no.... he's not heavy on his clothes... thank god I've got a tumble dryer... I've still got to go back for the summer dresses and a blaser.... feel a bit sick... might have to have a pear cider to put me straight!!!

Going to have a stab at getting everything from fountain gate tomorrow night then what eveer I can't get I'll get at the nominated suppliers...

thanks again....
Old Jan 21st 2010, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
Ah, I am fed up with it too... just spent over 200 bucks on the worst school uniform I have ever seen... am going to get a bill for over another 200 bucks to hire text books and I haven't even started the normal books hunt..

Thats just number 1 sons... then I have to do my daughters primary school books... can I get her maths book in BigW or Kmart? nope... wonder how much petrol I am going to spend driving to places to try and find it! Our local newsagents have sold out too!

I am going to change my Happy New Year greeting next time to Bloody January Again.. bah humbug!

When I said to my little girl that we are going school shoe shopping tomorrow... she got all excited and said "fabulous, I have seen some great Converses....." lmao! I gave her the 'you have GOT to be kidding me' look....

Then the bags... school bags, the back pack sort?... Ed went through 3 last year as his text books were so heavy.. they just ripped straight down...

Em x
Jeeze $200,you got off lightly.I spent $468 on summer uniform.Ive told her she can grow up but not out.She asked me if she was worth it.I said that I will let her know when she brings home her first week wage.(btw of course she is)
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by irishbloo
My youngest is going in to year six and his list came to $99 which I thought was fine so I just did that on line and will collect from school tomorrow.My eldest starts high school and her list came in just shy of $1,000.
Mine is in year 9 this year, and her list came to $74.20 + $95.00 for the text book hire for the year.

It obviously varies a lot.

Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Mine is in year 9 this year, and her list came to $74.20 + $95.00 for the text book hire for the year.

It obviously varies a lot.
Do you wanna do swapsies.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:52 am
ABCDiamond

Do you wanna do swapsies.
Nope

Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Worth a shot.Tbh I would miss her............She brings me a cup of tea in bed every morning.Actually shes a sweetie.xxx
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:25 am
Account Closed

Jeeze $200,you got off lightly.I spent $468 on summer uniform.Ive told her she can grow up but not out.She asked me if she was worth it.I said that I will let her know when she brings home her first week wage.(btw of course she is)
I only bought a couple of bits though! and 400 odd bucks for uniform is bordering on criminal!

Em x
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

I feel your pain.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:38 am
Account Closed

I feel your pain.
and I with yours!

Ah, I always get like this in January... over indulged in Christmas presents... then I get hit by the school fee thing (well, mine are in State School, so its minimum considering)... was in Myers the other day and saw a great GPS system which was dead cheap but no money for it... it was less than the bloody uniform! and Aldi has a brilliant 46 inch flat screen for under a grand... grrr!

I want to buy *me* things... bugger the kids education!

Em x
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Next year get the kids to write,
Dear Santa,please may I have 2 polo shirts,I back pack,3 pairs of socks and I pair of size 9 white trainers with no stripes or colours.Ps can Mum have a gps so we dont keep getting lost and a mother load of wine.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:57 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems

Em x
The annual school books thing is a real pain in the neck - there is a newsagent here that deliver the whole package to the school, you just send in the cheque and voila,it all happens before the year ends, last week in November. I do that to save me time hunting.

As far as school bags and shoes are concerned - Australian kids don't seem to give a toss what they wear - some of the shoes they wear are outrageous, holes in them and no sole left Their bags look like they've been around since the war

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.