British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Help: Pizza dough? (cooking question) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/help-pizza-dough-cooking-question-602607/)

ozhappy981 Apr 9th 2009 2:09 am

Help: Pizza dough? (cooking question)

Useless cook here ...

With my pizza dough recipe, once I've made the pizza dough it has to "sit" for two hours so the dough can rise.

Question: Can I make the dough the night before? And after it has had its 2 hours to rise, can I then pop it into the fridge? Then get it out the next evening to make the pizza? Or does leaving it in the fridge for 20 hours mean it gets all hard and unusable?

Thanks!

Burbage Apr 9th 2009 2:24 am

Re: Help: Pizza dough? (cooking question)

Originally Posted by ozhappy981 (Post 7464796)
Useless cook here ...

With my pizza dough recipe, once I've made the pizza dough it has to "sit" for two hours so the dough can rise.

Question: Can I make the dough the night before? And after it has had its 2 hours to rise, can I then pop it into the fridge? Then get it out the next evening to make the pizza? Or does leaving it in the fridge for 20 hours mean it gets all hard and unusable?

Thanks!

Let it rise first then knock it down, roll it in a bit of oil and cover it with cling film. It should keep a couple of days in the fridge. Let it rise for a bit before you use it.

ozhappy981 Apr 9th 2009 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Burbage (Post 7464819)
Let it rise first then knock it down, roll it in a bit of oil and cover it with cling film. It should keep a couple of days in the fridge. Let it rise for a bit before you use it.

Thanks for that, Burbage. Karma sent :).

Dorothy Apr 9th 2009 7:19 am

Originally Posted by ozhappy981 (Post 7464889)
Thanks for that, Burbage. Karma sent :).

I also make large batches of dough, cut it into smaller pieces (for pizzas or calzone) and freeze in plastic bags which have had all the air removed. Just take it out of the freezer in the morning and put in a lightly oiled bowl and cover. It will thaw and rise during the day and be ready to cook at dinner time.

squeezzii Apr 9th 2009 8:22 am

Wow Dorothy you are one organised bird!

Dorothy Apr 9th 2009 10:14 am

Originally Posted by squeezzii (Post 7465373)
Wow Dorothy you are one organised bird!

No. I just love to cook, so my freezer is full of frozen lasagne, casseroles, pizza dough, etc.

Jen1977ni Apr 9th 2009 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 7465271)
I also make large batches of dough, cut it into smaller pieces (for pizzas or calzone) and freeze in plastic bags which have had all the air removed. Just take it out of the freezer in the morning and put in a lightly oiled bowl and cover. It will thaw and rise during the day and be ready to cook at dinner time.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm calzone, I had that when I stayed in Oz with mates, ITS LOVELY JOVELY!!!! :p

Jen1977ni Apr 9th 2009 10:24 am

I've an idea Dorothy, u could adopt me and feed me calzone all the time, mmmmmm lol:)

Jen1977ni Apr 9th 2009 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Burbage (Post 7464819)

What does the oil do? Just keep it moist?

Burbage Apr 9th 2009 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 7465603)
What does the oil do? Just keep it moist?

Stops it sticking to the cling film.

Jen1977ni Apr 9th 2009 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Burbage (Post 7466076)
Stops it sticking to the cling film.

Oh ok, and make ur @rse big into the bargain, tee hee lol

Burbage Apr 9th 2009 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 7466667)

It's the dough that makes your arse big, not the oil.

paulry Apr 9th 2009 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 7466667)

If it's a big arse you want then try these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vetkoek

Jen1977ni Apr 10th 2009 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Burbage (Post 7467746)
It's the dough that makes your arse big, not the oil.

Tee hee spose... :p

Gobbledegeek Apr 10th 2009 1:46 pm

Dough can be kept quite satisfactorily for 5 or 6 days in the fridge, even before a rise. It still rises in the fridge. Having said that, if I plan to leave it for more than several hours, I reduce the yeast content a little.

This was my first attempt:

http://www.gobbledegeek.com.au/?p=27

These days, I'm quite adept at the pizza and my kids go mad for my baked bean variety. I keep meaning to update the blog with a better version but haven't had the time of late.

My next challenge is the 'classic' French stick and croissants but obtaining a suitable flour is key.

Be adventurous and good luck!