Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

HELP - i've put petrol in diesel !

Wikiposts

HELP - i've put petrol in diesel !

Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

clan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really nice
Exclamation HELP - i've put petrol in diesel !

Dont laugh !! its been a really stressful week. I have just handed over the keys
of our house to the estate agent as we completed the sale today , so
we have had to deal with the stress of moving etc. Then, I get a call from my sons school saying
he had been hit by a rounders bat and could I take him to A&E as a pre-caution - turns out he was fine .

Now, just to cap it all, i've gone to the garage to fill the car up, and put about
3/4 of a litre of petrol in the tank, and its a diesel So, i've put 50 litres
of diesel on top and given the car a shake (strange stares from the petrol
cashier). Do any mechanics or other knowledgable people know if it will be ok ?

Please .........

Neil
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of
Default Re: HELP - i've put petrol in diesel !

Originally Posted by clan_campbell
Dont laugh !! its been a really stressful week. I have just handed over the keys
we have had to deal with the stress of moving etc. Then, I get a call from my sons school saying
he had been hit by a rounders bat and could I take him to A&E as a pre-caution - turns out he was fine .

Now, just to cap it all, i've gone to the garage to fill the car up, and put about

Please .........

Neil
How old is your car?? Very modernd diesels may not like it as much as slightly older ones. I think it will probably be OK. It may run a bit rough for a while until any petrol is burnt off but the ratio of petrol to diesel is quite small.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

birchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant future

Please .........

Neil
the car will be fine, you have done the right thing by filling it up with deisel, and seeing as it was a small amount of petrol you won;t have any problems

stevei
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Such a small amount should be OK. I've heard that if you keep topping it up with the right fuel so that you keep diluting it you should be OK.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:53 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Please .........

Neil
Let us know, I'd be interested to see if it all went ok.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:54 pm
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

Sorry but I had to have a little giggle

I'm not a mechanic so I dont know what the answer is but on the RAC commercials you see it says if you put the wrong fuel in your car then don't start the engine as it could cost a few grand to repair.

I must admit I thought I may have filled up a petrol hire car with diesel when I was in Oz last month, I wasn't sure about which colour was petrol or diesel and the display on the pump didn't show clearly - after starting to fill up I started to get the dreaded feeling that it was diesel and after starting and stopping a few times I decided to carry on filling up as I was too embarrased to stop with people waiting behind. When I went to the counter I just said "that was petrol I have just put in wasn't it?" Luckily for me it was premium unleaded. I pretty much sh@t myself thinking I've knackered an hire car.

Goodluck
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: HELP - i've put petrol in diesel !

Worked for years as service receptionist at Reg Vardys - used to see this quite a lot from the forecourt.

As such a small amount of petrol in with diesel topped up your car will be a little shaky/smoky until tank runs down - dont let it empty too far and keep topping up to increase the ratio.

Lucky - if the tank had been empty and you had filled up with petrol, the mechanics would have recommended not to start the engine, drain the tank and top up - however if car has been started and drived a short distance then you would need to replace tank, lines, filters etc (huge huge cost).

Paula
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

clan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Such a small amount should be OK. I've heard that if you keep topping it up with the right fuel so that you keep diluting it you should be OK.
Sue, Stevei, Longreach - thanks !! - thats what I wanted to hear.

Jeez, what a week, i'm ready for a few beers tonight - just as long as the car
makes it to the off licence that is

Cheers

Neil
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Please .........

Neil
don't worry. They showed the very same thing on 5th gear a few weeks ago. Did both types of engine on the wrong fuel and they both worked. The older the better, but keep it going and keep topping up. You might get some hiccups and splutters but push on.

graham
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:01 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by frogboy
Sorry but I had to have a little giggle

I'm not a mechanic so I dont know what the answer is but on the RAC commercials you see it says if you put the wrong fuel in your car then don't start the engine as it could cost a few grand to repair.

I must admit I thought I may have filled up a petrol hire car with diesel when I was in Oz last month, I wasn't sure about which colour was petrol or diesel and the display on the pump didn't show clearly - after starting to fill up I started to get the dreaded feeling that it was diesel and after starting and stopping a few times I decided to carry on filling up as I was too embarrased to stop with people waiting behind. When I went to the counter I just said "that was petrol I have just put in wasn't it?" Luckily for me it was premium unleaded. I pretty much sh@t myself thinking I've knackered an hire car.

Goodluck
A mate of mine did it with his bike, admittedly the pump handle wasn't black it had some colour on it but I can't remember.
He went to pay and the cashier said "diesel mate?"

He said "no??"

He just wanted to curl up and die on the spot as there were about 6 of us waiting outside.

Luckily we just took the tank off and flushed it through, bit easier than a car.

At least we didn't take the piss for a few weeks.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:18 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

At least you realised quickly. 3 years ago I put a full tank of petrol into our new diesel :scared: . I drove a short distant, the engine chugged and I instantly realised what I'd done . I stopped straight away, the AA towed me to a garage and £80 later (to drain and flush the £50 of petrol away) the car has been absolutely fine ever since.

BTW - we'd never owned a diesel before and I'd had an extremely stressful day also

Lou
xx
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by charles.edington
At least you realised quickly. 3 years ago I put a full tank of petrol into our new diesel :scared: . I drove a short distant, the engine chugged and I instantly realised what I'd done . I stopped straight away, the AA towed me to a garage and £80 later (to drain and flush the £50 of petrol away) the car has been absolutely fine ever since.

BTW - we'd never owned a diesel before and I'd had an extremely stressful day also

Lou
xx
Yep, I done it too. Ford Transit. Filled up an empty tank with unleaded and drove onto the M3. 1/2 a mile and she chugged to a stop and I realised what I'd done.

Waited five hours for a mechanic to come out and drain the tank into plastic jerry cans and re-fill with 5 gallons of diesel.

Charged me £60 inclusive and I kept the unleaded he'd drained down (and the jerry cans) and used it in the wife's car.

The worst bit was the 5 hour wait!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

blackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by andicee
Yep, I done it too. Ford Transit. Filled up an empty tank with unleaded and drove onto the M3. 1/2 a mile and she chugged to a stop and I realised what I'd done.

Waited five hours for a mechanic to come out and drain the tank into plastic jerry cans and re-fill with 5 gallons of diesel.

Charged me £60 inclusive and I kept the unleaded he'd drained down (and the jerry cans) and used it in the wife's car.

The worst bit was the 5 hour wait!
Well Freds a mechanic and he says don`t worry it may have a few probs but it will come good, its not a headache as long as you only put that amount of petrol in, Freds been a mechanic for 40yrs.

Sheila
Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:17 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

i'm ready for a few beers tonight
Just keep telling yourself.

Glass bottle with the crimped top - beer - good

Plastic bottle with the childproof lid - bleach - bad

And you should be fine

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jul 14th 2006, 2:15 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

Please .........

Neil

LMAO

sorry but my hubby did exactly the same a feww weeks ago

your car will be fine ours is still going

at least you will make him feel better knowing he's not the only one

jan xx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.